• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
67 Pokémon that can only do one attack. That is some crazy cherry-picking. You also have to look at development time and scope. Game Freak releases a game every year.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
More than 67 who have one attack each

I'm not saying GF isn't doing more.

But the "YEAH BUT WHAT ABOUT ALL THE OTHER POKÉMON" is pretty disingenuous when one of the biggest sticking points is that GF took some half-steps and still didn't even carry forward the majority of the Pokemon from the past games.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying GF isn't doing more.

But the "YEAH BUT WHAT ABOUT ALL THE OTHER POKÉMON" is pretty disingenuous when one of the biggest sticking points is that GF took some half-steps and still didn't even carry forward the majority of the Pokemon from the past games.
It IS a sticking point, but this bootleg that probably took an eternity to make at a fraction of the scale ain't the debate winner

Konami took half steps with metal gear but I'm not over here trying to prove it with the slot machine

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
This argument could be done in a better way, that's true. You have to admit though, that a Chinese knockoff with probably zero budget and no experience, which produced better looking models and animation on a damn mobile game, is kind of funny.
Looking at some of the animations I've seen in SW/SH, one of them is literally of a Pokemon just going up and down without any limb movement or anything resembling it. I think it was a Pikachu animation? Not sure, but that's pathetic doesn't matter how you look at it.

It's highly likely that, like the IP, the models and animations are stolen. So while it's funny a chinese knockoff is out doing GF at animiation, I doubt iff you put this team in charge of making animations and models for 67 pokemon, in an official capacity, that it'd be anything like in the video in the OP.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
This looks really interesting, but I have a somewhat serious question that I don't know the answer to. Is China just generally untouchable when it comes to licensing and IP laws? So many bootleg things seem to come from there, and it's even crazier that such a high quality one is made this far along to release seemingly without any worry.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It IS a sticking point, but this bootleg that probably took an eternity to make at a fraction of the scale ain't the debate winner

Konami took half steps with metal gear but I'm not over here trying to prove it with the slot machine

I agree. That's not the point I was making.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It looks fantastic for a game that probably has 0.01% the budget that Sword/Shield has.

GaseousSnake

Aug 15, 2018
Its funny to see how nintendo ignores this game and then takes down a commodore 64 port of super mario bros...

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
One additional thing to consider, as to why this looks better than S/S.

Unlike Game Freak, the developer of this mobile clone actually has competition. There are other Pokemon ripoffs on mobile, other teams capable of doing things to steal users away from one market leader. This mobile dev doesn't have an exclusivity contract that they can rely on for consistent income. They're pressured to innovative, ironically enough.

So perhaps TPC should consider buying up this rip-off studio, and giving them the funds to make a full Pokemon game on mobile. Give Game Freak something to compete with.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
This looks really interesting, but I have a somewhat serious question that I don't know the answer to. Is China just generally untouchable when it comes to licensing and IP laws? So many bootleg things seem to come from there, and it's even crazier that such a high quality one is made this far along to release seemingly without any worry.

The Chinese government won't do anything regarding IP or copyright infringements with foreign properties. So in China they can take established IPs and profit on them because it's so hard to stop them legally even when you are the rights holder. The best thing that can happen is that the IP holders get the content removed from storefronts outside of China.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One additional thing to consider, as to why this looks better than S/S.

Unlike Game Freak, the developer of this mobile clone actually has competition. There are other Pokemon ripoffs on mobile, other teams capable of doing things to steal users away from one market leader. This mobile dev doesn't have an exclusivity contract that they can rely on for consistent income. They're pressured to innovative, ironically enough.

So perhaps TPC should consider buying up this rip-off studio, and giving them the funds to make a full Pokemon game on mobile. Give Game Freak something to compete with.
what

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still cant help but feel like this is bait despite not liking the pokedex situation.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This is a super absurd comparison, it has only 67 pokemon and it looks like it has no overworld or the other aspects of the game at all, of course it can pull this?? Also how long has this been in development? A week? 10 years?
lol

Colocho

Oct 25, 2017
I like how the pokemon that attacks actually interacts with the other pokemon, one of the things I hate the most about the animations in pokemon is how they just stay in their place when attacking.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right

Really makes you imagine what Pokémon could be with .... any other developer

Yeah, Pokemon is one of the biggest franchises in the world, it makes millions on end, it needs a larger team that reflects that, Gamefreak is so tiny if you compare it to the reach of the franchise.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, Pokemon is one of the biggest franchises in the world, it makes millions on end, it needs a larger team that reflects that, Gamefreak is so tiny if you compare it to the reach of the franchise.
Gamefreak/TPC/Nintendo has the money to hire more developers and/or spend more time on the game if they wanted to. That's definitely not the problem. I think it's more so that Pokemon is going to sell gangbusters either way, so why spend more money hiring more developers and putting more time into it? They probably see it as diminishing returns so they aim for where they think the highest work paid for to sales ratio can be reached.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak/TPC/Nintendo has the money to hire more developers and/or spend more time on the game if they wanted to. That's definitely not the problem. I think it's more so that Pokemon is going to sell gangbusters either way, so why spend more money hiring more developers and putting more time into it? They probably see it as diminishing returns so they aim for where they think the highest work paid for to sales ratio can be reached.

And that's the problem, it's going to sell gangbusters either way so they don't bother with things that are basic in every other game, that means a lesser product for the fans. They could hire more people and deliver a more polished product and still make loads of money. They are just stingy about it.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Don't give Game Freak ideas. If they think you want this, they'll cut even more Pokémon and limit moves to do more intricate animations

Also note, the moves with intricate animations in SMUSUM and SWSH look this intricate. Funny that?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Don't give Game Freak ideas. If they think you want this, they'll cut even more Pokémon and limit moves to do more intricate animations

Also note, the moves with intricate animations in SMUSUM and SWSH look this intricate. Funny that?
Yeah, people really need to watch the unique moves some pokes have, which look impressive too.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly? I would take it. Cut each game down to 150-ish like Gen 1 (around half of them being brand new for the region), and have really nice, expressive animations like these.

Then again, I'm a filthy Pokemon casual and don't really care about competitive or anything.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, people really need to watch the unique moves some pokes have, which look impressive too.
Even those which aren't necessarily unique look great.

People just focus on the lesser used moves like Double Kick and Tail Whip and treat it like it's the standard when it's not

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? I would take it. Cut each game down to 150-ish like Gen 1 (around half of them being brand new for the region), and have really nice, expressive animations like these.

Then again, I'm a filthy Pokemon casual and don't really care about competitive or anything.
150-is pokemon only would be shit. Welcome back to finding 3 pokemon everywhere and being fucking annoyed by it, as well as having a shit pool of pokemon type variation (such as having a small number of each type). The nice spot is 300+.

Even those which aren't necessarily unique look great.

People just focus on the lesser used moves like Double Kick and Tail Whip and treat it like it's the standard when it's not
I mean yeah, I was just pointing to the equivalent of those where each pokemon has a super unique move, the exclusive Z-moves look quite nice (it sometimes lack the feedback on the enemy poke though, which they should improve by having 3-4 hit animations for each poke, depending on grade of damage).

Darkline

Jul 1, 2019
ldn
The idle animations are the worst thing about the battles by far. So lifeless, barely anyone shows any character they just stand there nodding away. Could be so much more

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
35fkgb.gif

I'm sorry but I can't get over how silly/dumb this looks.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I mean yeah, I was just pointing to the equivalent of those where each pokemon has a super unique move, the exclusive Z-moves look quite nice (it sometimes lack the feedback on the enemy poke though, which they should improve by having 3-4 hit animations for each poke, depending on grade of damage).
You also don't even need to go to Z-Moves for it as evidence of great attack animations. Signature moves and powerful moves all have good animations.

It just doesn't feed the narrative

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've always said Game Freak needs to treat Pokemon more like a Chinese mobile company and these .gifs only prove that.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I saw this earlier, looks really great but its gotta be vastly different compared to having the undertaking of over 1000 unique models to animate.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018