• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day) - Antagonizing other users
GF looking worse and worse but the defense force will surely do their job on this thread too.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
You also don't even need to go to Z-Moves for it as evidence of great attack animations. Signature moves and powerful moves all have good animations.

It just doesn't feed the narrative
I know, it was just the fastest way to get a lot of cool moves in one video :P

But as I said, a problem the moves tend to have is the lack of feedback from the receiver. You can be nuked from orbit, and then be peachy and then suddenly 0 HP and he is down. It creates a certain dissonance.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

But as I said, a problem the moves tend to have is the lack of feedback from the receiver. You can be nuked from orbit, and then be peachy and then suddenly 0 HP and he is down. It creates a certain dissonance.
Ironically this game that people are praising does it even worse haha

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
There are over 700 moves in Pokémon and each Pokémon can usually do around 20-30 moves.

If they did this, I'm sure something would have to give. That would neuter the competitive game and the whole strategy behind the battle system.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

My problem with stuff like that is I feel it will slow down battles when they need to move in the opposite direction unless the Pokemon will get hit, knocked down, and get back up in like a second.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
My problem with stuff like that is I feel it will slow down battles when they need to move in the opposite direction unless the Pokemon will get knocked down and back up in like a second.
I mean, my main problem is when you do a KO move and the pokemon stands up while the HP goes slowly down and then he realizes he is down.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018

I would bet GF don't like Pokemon to appear suffering / looking miserable from taking all those blows.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
I would bet GF don't like Pokemon to appear suffering / looking miserable from taking all those blows.

Honestly, that decision is probably even above Game Freak. Probably some directive from TPC about not wanting to appear to grim so that they can maintain the child friendly squeaky clean image for a series that is essentially about animal fighting.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I think the larger point still stands. A Chinese knockoff dev with no quality control is producing better looking Pokemon content than Game Freak.
Exactly. Too many GF apologists here that can't take criticism on their precious game.
(I'm a big Pokemon fan myself but since gen7 I honestly don't care anymore)

Unfortunately video games exist in the real world where you don't get the luxury of looking at singular components in a vacuum.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
If only GF could hire more people to make animations for them. Crazy how such a simple solution has been completely ignored.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah like that's a decent Pikachu electro ball animation but where is the corgi tail whip in this game?

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo/TPC must be literally shaking with legal impotent rage at such a blatant theft of IP they can do nothing about.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My problem with stuff like that is I feel it will slow down battles when they need to move in the opposite direction unless the Pokemon will get hit, knocked down, and get back up in like a second.

I mean it's already dreadfully slow now despite how simple some animations are. A lot of things dont happen simultaneously. It's like when people complain about how long turns take in card games.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Don't give Game Freak ideas. If they think you want this, they'll cut even more Pokémon and limit moves to do more intricate animations

Also note, the moves with intricate animations in SMUSUM and SWSH look this intricate. Funny that?

This hullabaloo isn't even about how intricate the animations are or what cost they would bring in a real official Pokemon game. This dumb knockoff really shouldn't have to be brought up. There is clear frustration/lamentation with Game Freak's decisions regarding Sword and Shield and that's what bringing this up is about.

But the overarching issue goes beyond GameFreak. The reality is that they have to put out a video game that's in the driver's seat of a global multi-billion dollar franchise on a regular basis. If they had a year or two of breathing room to make improvements to their engine or even build a new one from scratch I'm sure we'd see some more impressive quality, but they won't and they can't because there's a TCG, an anime and countless toys and merchandise that they need to push.

I think this is where the conversation needs to go, less complaining about how "lazy" GameFreak is and assorted rubbish and what the actual cost of a Pokemon game is at the level it is as entertainment and how that restrains its developer.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
These animations look alright, and it makes you wonder what a Pokemon game could be like if Game Freak had a bigger staff and put as much effort and work into the franchise relative to how much money it makes. It really feels like we're just going to Sun & Moon 2 instead of a generational leap like most wanted and expected.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
67, and apparently it's just the one attack animation each.

Regardless, the timing of this literally couldn't be funnier.
67 animations vs 1000s? We aren't saying the quality of this actually says anything about gamefreak right? Esp considering as far as I can tell a lot of this is just the same sun and moon animations but with backgrounds swapping out during attacks and camera moves.

The fact that these play and look a bit better than the Sword and Shield ones is totally expected considering the difference in scope.
I think given the number of animations they could reuse from existing games, and the extremely limited scope they could probably have had as few as 2-3 animators on this project. A full pokemon game would have at least 8 animators and still need to work very smart to be able to handle that crazy suite of animations. (This is just based on my own experience as an animator, I have no idea how many animators GF has)

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Game Freak has high quality animations already made for each Pokemon with Pokemon Amie - they just don't use them in battle for some reason. The idle animations in Sword and Shield - aside from the new Pokemon - still look boring.
Have you actually taken a look at PokeAmie?
How the hell do a pokemon frowning at you because you hit his sensitive eyeball translate to combat animation exactly?
And the PokeAmi animations HAVE to be much more detailed because unlike combat, they're right in your face and takes up most of the screenspace unlike battle animations that have particle effects and a camera that gives a bird's eye view.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak, just cut 95% of the Pokémon and make them do only 1 attack, 4Head.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Hire more employees or outsource.
They're gonna need more time as well and need more planners because at the scale you're talking about their current work culture ain't gonna cut it.
Square Enix tried to make mega projects for the better part of the last decade and a half and I can tell you it's a miracle they managed to get anything done.
Similarly look at World of Warcraft, the scale of the project changed the company entirely.
The Blizzard that made Warcraft RTS is not the Blizzard that sustained WoW for over a decade.
If you don't mind destroying GameFreaks, sure.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait...are we sure these animations aren't just taken from the Arcade games they got in Japan?

Forgot what the newest one is called, but that's what I'm thinking now.

Yiazmat

Oct 25, 2017
8XVd2Ir.gif

Neat!

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Can you imagine a Pokemon MMO like Elder Scrolls Online? They've done a great job translating the elder scrolls environments which take Bethesda 5+ years to build into one big MMO and adding more on as expansions afterwards. Seems like it would be the perfect model for Pokemon to follow with all the different regions being similar to the regions in each proper Elder Scrolls game, but it seems like that would be impossible with the franchise under Game Freak and Nintendo control.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Say what you want about how many Pokemon are in this and what is in so far in SwSh, or the GameFreak 3D era games this evokes so much personality in battle. Pokemon are such a bore to look at during battles.
I've been playing Platinum and HeartGold and theres just so much personality in those sprites that I feel is missing in the 3DS games. They just seem lifeless

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They're gonna need more time as well and need more planners because at the scale you're talking about their current work culture ain't gonna cut it.
Square Enix tried to make mega projects for the better part of the last decade and a half and I can tell you it's a miracle they managed to get anything done.
Similarly look at World of Warcraft, the scale of the project changed the company entirely.
The Blizzard that made Warcraft RTS is not the Blizzard that sustained WoW for over a decade.
If you don't mind destroying GameFreaks, sure.

Then they should fucking fix their current work culture if hiring more developers is going to cause problems. Hiring more developers will only increase the quality of the series as long as the producer and director are competent at their jobs, but that's not going to happen because the current producer and director are incompetent, and their management sucks. Square-Enix had problems developing their games because their management was trash too.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Have you actually taken a look at PokeAmie?
How the hell do a pokemon frowning at you because you hit his sensitive eyeball translate to combat animation exactly?
And the PokeAmi animations HAVE to be much more detailed because unlike combat, they're right in your face and takes up most of the screenspace unlike battle animations that have particle effects and a camera that gives a bird's eye view.

Uh, yes I have.
No, they obviously don't have to bring over all the detailed and expressive Pokemon animations from Pokemon Amie when it doesn't suit it.
I'm also referring to idle animations, i.e. when there are no moves in progress, no particle effects, no dynamic camera, just the Pokemon in full view, and it's inconsistent. I'm looking at the recent footage and Scorbunny and Ludicolo look more exciting than Lucario or Arcanine who just kind of stand there.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Exactly. Too many GF apologists here that can't take criticism on their precious game.
(I'm a big Pokemon fan myself but since gen7 I honestly don't care anymore)

Or..maybe some people accept the criticism but also realize that if GF got rid of most their Pokemon, they'd have more unique and lively animations than what we have now just like in this game.

Its possible to do both you know

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Or..maybe some people accept the criticism but also realize that if GF got rid of most their Pokemon, they'd have more unique and lively animations than what we have now just like in this game.

Or, if they hire more employees instead of having their heads so far up their asses they can taste their colon, they wouldn't have that problem and they wouldn't need to cut any Pokémon.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Then they should fucking fix their current work culture if hiring more developers is going to cause problems. Hiring more developers will only increase the quality of the series as long as the producer and director are competent at their jobs, but that's not going to happen because the current producer and director are incompetent, and their management sucks. Square-Enix had problems developing their games because their management was trash too.
i don't think you understand the issue of managing a large project.
I also don't think you understand how that also change the pressure put by the upper management on the project as well.
You somehow think that on a dime they can go Ubisoft and leverage studios overseas with no risk because money.
It's not how any of this works.
SquareEnix didn't fail because they had shit people doing whatever they wanted, they failed because they didn't properly assess the risk in the scale of the projects they were handling and and had no way of steering a project of the size they were tackling.
It's not a simple problem at all.
Uh, yes I have.
No, they obviously don't have to bring over all the detailed and expressive Pokemon animations from Pokemon Amie when it doesn't suit it.
I'm also referring to idle animations, i.e. when there are no moves in progress, no particle effects, no dynamic camera, just the Pokemon in full view, and it's inconsistent. I'm looking at the recent footage and Scorbunny and Ludicolo look more exciting than Lucario or Arcanine who just kind of stand there.
If you have you understand that pokeAmi is supposed to be an interactive minigame that has the monster react very differently from how they act in battle.
We also know from Let's Go that the models for Ami and the battle is not the same so the rigging is probably different which means that the animation cannot easily be reused.
Also I haven't checked, is PokeAmi even still a thing in Sword/Shield?
Because that's one way to cut Sylveon.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I mean I think theres a certain balance that could be struck between cut pokemon and improved animations. But we don't even know how many Pokemon are in the game so

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
[/QUOTE]
Wow they made Ho-Oh actually look cool lol.

Apparently no one can complain about GameFreak without being compared to Gamergaters or being called toxic or entitled so I'm just gonna keep staring at this looping gif and dream of a better legit Pokemon game :)
I think it's more that it comes with a great lack of reasonability. For example there's a difference between "this looks neat but yeah 67 is a lot less than the hundreds plus overword rpg stuff so hope they will be able to work towards that" instead of "gamefreak sucks i want what this chinese company is doing" knowing that lots of people dont actually want that at all. Not saying you specifically. But it's out there

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Or, if they hire more employees instead of having their heads so far up their asses they can taste their colon, they wouldn't have that problem and they wouldn't need to cut any Pokémon.
I wonder why the US the richest country in the world is unable to put people on the Moon right now!
they've got billions to waste and they did it in the past anyway!
They could just put more people to work on the problem and it would solve itself.
The truth is they're just incompetent, right?

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I mean I think theres a certain balance that could be struck between cut pokemon and improved animations. But we don't even know how many Pokemon are in the game so

I believe so. However, most want all Pokemon in the mainline games. GF would need a serious overhaul to achieve that with years of development. Although, I think a lot of people including myself could live with that if it were possible. I'm not very knowledgeable on game development so I wouldn't know how feasible 1000 mons with unique and lively animations is while improving the graphical fidelity and overworld.