• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to have my YouTube recomendations highjacked with gems like:

"GAMEFREAK APOLOGISTS DESTROYED AGAIN!"

"CHINESE BOOTLEG BETTER THAN POKÉMON" with some crazy thumbnail.

Healthy and measured discourse, I'm sure.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i don't think you understand the issue of managing a large project.
I also don't think you understand how that also change the pressure put by the upper management on the project as well.
You somehow think that on a dime they can go Ubisoft and leverage studios overseas with no risk because money.
It's not how any of this works.
SquareEnix didn't fail because they had shit people doing whatever they wanted, they failed because they didn't properly assess the risk in the scale of the projects they were handling and and had no way of steering a project of the size they were tackling.
It's not a simple problem at all.

Oh poor GameFreak and the upper management, how could they ever handle the pressure of hiring just a dozen more developers specifically for handling Pokemon animations. And I agree, finding a Japanese studio to help them with development is so difficult, how could they ever manage to do that? I mean, it's not like every other Japanese developer outsources their development when they need help with it. That's way too difficult for poor little GameFreak.

It's funny, you defenders are defending GameFreak like they're a family member.

I wonder why the US the richest country in the world is unable to put people on the Moon right now!
they've got billions to waste and they did it in the past anyway!
They could just put more people to work on the problem and it would solve itself.
The truth is they're just incompetent, right?

Yeah let's compare developing a video game to landing on the moon.

The colon isn't that far up the ass.
Also, that's not how this works.

That's how far their incompetence goes, they can't even do that correctly.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Or, if they hire more employees instead of having their heads so far up their asses they can taste their colon, they wouldn't have that problem and they wouldn't need to cut any Pokémon.

Didn't I say you can accept the criticism while also realizing that more lively animations like this are possible given the scope of the mobile game?

Also relax. I understand the Dexit sucks and its a result of poor management but GF already knows how upset everyone is. No need to make yourself angrier over it.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm sorry but I can't get over how silly/dumb this looks.

Looking at it some more I think what gets me about the gif is how Pikachu goes completely from happy-go-lucky to complete serious mode in less than a second. It's kind of jarring and isn't helped by the fact that right after that it slows down for emphasis. It feels like all the weight was given to parts that don't really need it, and so it comes off as feeling really bizarre to me.

That Ho-Oh pokedex clip looks nice but a lot of it I think comes down to the motion of the fire effect specifically, and I actually don't think the Mewtwo animation that comes right after it is interesting at all.

A bit of a wash, but then I'm the guy who turns off animations because they're always long and take up too much time during battles.

It is interesting, though, how nobody ever brings up the actual Pokemon mobile game in these discussions. That one has only a handful of moves for each Pokemon but there are about half (we're up to Gen IV now!) of the full pokedex worth of 'mons in there. This is fancy but it's still...67? (really? that's it?) pokemon in there.

What I really can't get over now that I'm looking at the full video is how badly the camera jerks around when switching between active pokemon for move selection. I watched two battles and it's giving me a headache. Ugh.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Drama aside: As a filthy casual when it comes to pokemon (I sometimes play pokemon go)

I look at that and I see a slightly janky mobile game that looks pretty okay. I hear "it only has 65 pokemon" and I laugh, but I get it: it is probably four interns locked in a room pumping out ripoffs

I look at the new pokemon: It looks like an upscale 3ds game and has an unknown number of pokemons. I don't dig deep enough to see all these fancy z strikes or whatever the fuck they are called. And this is a company that has been making these games for 20 something years.

I think that if game freak had made a big visual improvement it would be a lot easier to swallow the fewer pokemon. As it stands theirs doesn't look drastically different than sun and moon (I am sure if I compared screenshots it would, but I am not going to do that) and may even have less content (it is unclear how many pokemons there will be).

Feel free to continue to explain how we are all wrong and blah blah blah. Because we probably are. But I don't care enough about pokemon to do a deep dive and detail the differences between Green and American Blue. I just see a game that I liked a a kid, occasionally play on my phone, and hear doesn't even have all the pokemons from the last version. And when I look, I see no visual improvements that would indicate why (even big raichu looks aliased as fuck).

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't I say you can accept the criticism while also realizing that more lively animations like this are possible given the scope of the mobile game?

Also relax. I understand the Dexit sucks and its a result of poor management but GF already knows how upset everyone is. No need to make yourself angrier over it.

God damn right I'm angry, but not at you though. You're alright.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Oh poor GameFreak and the upper management, how could they ever handle the pressure of hiring just a dozen more developers specifically for handling Pokemon animations. And I agree, finding a Japanese studio to help them with development is so difficult, how could they ever manage to do that? I mean, it's not like every other Japanese developer outsources their development when they need help with it. That's way too difficult for poor little GameFreak.

It's funny, you defenders are defending GameFreak like they're a family member.
I'm not defending anything I'm explaining to you that your approach to development is crap.
throwing money at a problem is the very definition of waste.
If they did what you said the quality of the final product would suffer and wouldn't even be as good as what we have now.
You can't just start a project, realize the scale is much much much bigger and basically hire people to hope that this solve the scale problem.
You're just lashing out without making sense at this point.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Definitely agree that there is no way they would be able to do that for all current pokemon. That's why they should new Coke this shit and start again with an original 151.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
These criticisms are becoming ridiculous and more petty.

It won't be long before somebody posts another Unreal Engine Pokemon video and tell people "See Gamefreak this is how it's done"

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Definitely agree that there is no way they would be able to do that for all current pokemon. That's why they should new Coke this shit and start again with an original 151.
The fun part is that they actually can't do this if they want any semblance of National Dex.
All the previous pokemon data is present in all the games, including mythical "you'll never get them again" pokemons that could be cut without anyone noticing.
You're essentially advocating for an even bigger cull.

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not defending anything I'm explaining to you that your approach to development is crap.
If they did what you said the quality of the final product would suffer and wouldn't even be as good as what we have now.
You can't just start a project, realize the scale is much much much bigger and basically hire people to hope that this solve the scale problem.

So you're telling me that hiring more employees to help with development because their current team can't handle the workload, is a waste and would make the final product suffer?

You do realize that very often, developers hire more employees while in the middle of developing a game to help with development right? I'm not saying GameFreak should hire thousands of employees and have too many chefs in the kitchen, what I'm trying to say is that they should hire enough employees to lessen the workload and make a better product worth $60.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
8XVd2Ir.gif

Neat!

This is beautiful.

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I apologize for the lashing out, I've had a lot of stressful shit happen to me in the past few months. I shouldn't let my real world problems affect how I post.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
So you're telling me that hiring more employees to help with development because their current team can't handle the workload, is a waste and would make the final product suffer?

You do realize that very often, developers hire more employees while in the middle of developing a game to help with development right? I'm not saying GameFreak should hire thousands of employees and have too many chefs in the kitchen, what I'm trying to say is that they should hire enough employees to lessen the workload and make a better product worth $60.
You do realize that most of the time when companies outsource some parts of the development they don't outsource everything willy nilly for no reason?
Considering the timeline we have for the project they're working on.
It essentially means that they would have to have started Gen VIII at the same time Gen VII was made to take into account the inefficiencies the scale of the project would require.
If you hire thousands of contractors to work on your project, by default there's gonna be too many cooks in the kitchen, you can't have the same supervisor dealing with everything that's without account for what the change would do to the work environment of the current structure.
Also sometimes hiring more people doesn't lessen the workload, it just changes it.

This alone is better than anything GF has ever done. I really hope this mobile dev does this for nearly all the pokemon just to see how the defense force downplays it.
I will laugh so hard when someone points out that this is essentially stolen asset from another official pokemon project.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
The fun part is that they actually can't do this if they want any semblance of National Dex.
All the previous pokemon data is present in all the games, including mythical "you'll never get them again" pokemons that could be cut without anyone noticing.
You're essentially advocating for an even bigger cull.
Yeah...that was the point of the post. I am advocating for a complete cull. Reset button, start over.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
God damn right I'm angry, but not at you though. You're alright.

Thats good lol
Direct your anger where it matters. I will admit its hard for me to be as upset since I only played Sapphire and Diamond as far as the mainline games go and didn't save any Pokemon from them. So I'm eager to play ShSw. But I completely get the outrage for long time collectors.

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You do realize that most of the time when companies outsource some parts of the development they don't outsource everything willy nilly for no reason?
Considering the timeline we have for the project they're working on.
It essentially means that they would have to have started Gen VIII at the same time Gen VII was made to take into account the inefficiencies the scale of the project would require.
If you hire thousands of contractors to work on your project, by default there's gonna be too many cooks in the kitchen, you can't have the same supervisor dealing with everything that's without account for what the change would do to the work environment of the current structure.
Also sometimes hiring more people doesn't lessen the workload, it just changes it.

I was posting in a bad manner and I apologize for lashing out. Let's just agree to disagree.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Thats good lol
Direct your anger where it matters. I will admit its hard for me to be as upset since I only played Sapphire and Diamond as far as the mainline games go and didn't save any Pokemon from them. So I'm eager to play ShSw. But I completely get the outrage for long time collectors.
Depending on how you play that could mean real shit to people.
one thing I started doing since XY, is take one of the starter I did the game with and have its son/daughter be part of the initial team for the next game.
That way you have a continuity between the adventures.
I can tell you that Let's Go hasn't been fun for me so far :/
If the management is completely incompetent, sure.
Or if the project is complex enough.
The bad habit of throwing money at a problem is rarely yielding results.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
And I will laugh even harder when it proves modern GF cant even match something that they or their partners once made.
Huh? You ever take a look at the Colosseum games or even any spinoffs that partners are releasing?
Like if you expect GameFreak to ever be able to match what Namco released in Pokken, you're gonna wait a long time.
Heck purely on a visual level most mainline pokemon games look like at least a gen late to when they're being released,
it's the nature of the beast really.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
Depending on how you play that could mean real shit to people.
one thing I started doing since XY, is take one of the starter I did the game with and have its son/daughter be part of the initial team for the next game.
That way you have a continuity between the adventures.
I can tell you that Let's Go hasn't been fun for me so far :/

I skipped Lets Go. However, it looks tempting just because its been so long playing a Pokemon game but I can wait until Nov.

I hope the starters from previous gens are cut for your and a lot of other people's sake lol

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh? You ever take a look at the Colosseum games or even any spinoffs that partners are releasing?
Like if you expect GameFreak to ever be able to match what Namco released in Pokken, you're gonna wait a long time.
Heck purely on a visual level most mainline pokemon games look like at least a gen late to when they're being released,
it's the nature of the beast really.
I'm still waiting for them to match a 20 year old game.
tumblr_n6kmbapz8K1ru09vqo1_500.gif

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
it looks like a jankfest suitable of the bootleg label
not much different from the Chinese BOTW clone with people saying it looks better

Last edited:

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that Ho-Oh animation looks awesome

everything else doesn't look that hot, lol

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Damn ! Stolen assets or not, I totally want those animation in a mainline Pokemon. SS animations look so dated and stiff that it hurts.

Throwing money at a problem =/= investment. Who, in their sane mind, would say no to better animations in Pokemon mainline titles ? GF makes money, good for them. I'm not one of their shareholders though, so I don't give two shit, I want them to invest more and make their product better. I'd even go as far as saying that I'm ok with them cutting more Pokemon to improve animations overall.

I mean, look at this Ho-oh animation, regardless where it comes from, it's just a joy to watch. Pokemon mainlines official animations look like shit next to it.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Throwing money at a problem =/= investment. Who, in their sane mind, would say no to better animations in Pokemon mainline titles ? GF makes money, good for them. I'm not one of their shareholders though, so I don't give two shit, I want them to invest more and make their product better. I'd even go as far as saying that I'm ok with them cutting more Pokemon to improve animations overall.

I mean, look at this Ho-oh animation, regardless where it comes from, it's just a joy to watch. Pokemon mainlines official animations look like shit next to it.
They may have all the money in the world they still don't have all the time in the world.
It's probably not possible for them to push Let's Go and GenVIII in a 12 months period while also overhauling everything to fit unrealistic expectations.
Nintendo can afford to delay Animal Crossing to get a product more inline with their standard, GameFreak simply doesn't.
With the schedule they have, it's pointless to throw more people at the project if they don't have time to include them in the project properly anyway.
If there was more time between gens like before it would be less comprehensible for them to make the products we see them doing.
The scale of pokemon games have always been huge to begin with and I don't think that what we take for granted now would be possible nowadays in a timely manner.
Like I don't think they had a meeting where they said "let's use shitty animation because fuck players".
At one point you have to compromise your vision to the reality of the project you're working on.
Maybe if they started last year working on GenIX on the planning part with the intent to have extensive use of contractors we will see significant improvement, if they keep the yearly schedule though? No chance in hell.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Besides animation, I'm liking the backgrounds and their art direction more too.

Yeah, in general the art direction is really good. I haven't played pokemon since probably gba days and am not interested in swordandshield but this little bit of art direction actually makes me nostalgic for when pokemon was exciting for me.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Drama aside: As a filthy casual when it comes to pokemon (I sometimes play pokemon go)

I look at that and I see a slightly janky mobile game that looks pretty okay. I hear "it only has 65 pokemon" and I laugh, but I get it: it is probably four interns locked in a room pumping out ripoffs

I look at the new pokemon: It looks like an upscale 3ds game and has an unknown number of pokemons. I don't dig deep enough to see all these fancy z strikes or whatever the fuck they are called. And this is a company that has been making these games for 20 something years.

I think that if game freak had made a big visual improvement it would be a lot easier to swallow the fewer pokemon. As it stands theirs doesn't look drastically different than sun and moon (I am sure if I compared screenshots it would, but I am not going to do that) and may even have less content (it is unclear how many pokemons there will be).

Feel free to continue to explain how we are all wrong and blah blah blah. Because we probably are. But I don't care enough about pokemon to do a deep dive and detail the differences between Green and American Blue. I just see a game that I liked a a kid, occasionally play on my phone, and hear doesn't even have all the pokemons from the last version. And when I look, I see no visual improvements that would indicate why (even big raichu looks aliased as fuck).
So basically you admit that you don't really know about it and are wrong, but still say gamefreak is messing up. This is what clickbait youtube and articles do. Manipulate people against gamefreak.

C RONALDO

Oct 27, 2017
OMG!! this makes me hate myself for hyping for pokemon sword and shield.

I cannot defend Game Freak anymore ,, they're messing up ALOT !