• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
They may have all the money in the world they still don't have all the time in the world.
It's probably not possible for them to push Let's Go and GenVIII in a 12 months period while also overhauling everything to fit unrealistic expectations.
Nintendo can afford to delay Animal Crossing to get a product more inline with their standard, GameFreak simply doesn't.
With the schedule they have, it's pointless to throw more people at the project if they don't have time to include them in the project properly anyway.
If there was more time between gens like before it would be less comprehensible for them to make the products we see them doing.
The scale of pokemon games have always been huge to begin with and I don't think that what we take for granted now would be possible nowadays in a timely manner.
Like I don't think they had a meeting where they said "let's use shitty animation because fuck players".
At one point you have to compromise your vision to the reality of the project you're working on.
Maybe if they started last year working on GenIX on the planning part with the intent to have extensive use of contractors we will see significant improvement, if they keep the yearly schedule though? No chance in hell.

Hiring people and investing in management/overall structure help to reduce time, greatly. GF can afford it easily. Many AAA studios release a AAA games every year, with much larger scope than Pokemon games.

WRC

Oct 28, 2017
well, tried downloading this apk to see more clearly the assets and animations in my phone, but it stucks at initial loading screen, :/

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
If anything, the small quantity of Pokemon and animations (one each, hah!) does more to validate the challenges that Gamefreak are up against than it does to embarrass them.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Hiring people and investing in management/overall structure help to reduce time, greatly. GF can afford it easily. Many AAA studios release a AAA games every year, with much larger scope than Pokemon games.
Wait you know other companies who do JRPGs on the scale of pokemon?
Not even Final Fantasy ever reached the scope Pokemon reached by Gen III.
It also takes time to invest in a company, time that they never had because they're releasing games nearly every year.
You think BotW took over 5 years for nothing?

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Wait you know other companies who do JRPGs on the scale of pokemon?
Not even Final Fantasy ever reached the scope Pokemon reached by Gen III.
It also takes time to invest in a company, time that they never had because they're releasing games nearly every year.
You think BotW took over 5 years for nothing?

Why reducing the discussion to JRPG only ? Does making a JRPG prevent you from investing or hiring more staff to better your product ? You think it's rocket science to make better animations when you have ressource by the millions ?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Why reducing the discussion to JRPG only ? Does making a JRPG prevent you from investing or hiring more staff to better your product ? You think it's rocket science to make better animations when you have ressource by the millions ?
What makes you think they have resource by the millions to begin with.
And why do I limit myself to JRPG? Because that's what they're making and you can't possibly believe that making a JRPG requires the same skillset as making any other game either.
Like why do you think it's mostly action games that get released near system launches? Because JRPG makers are lazy bums that can't get their ducks in a row quick enough or something?
Naughty dog released games earlier than Squaresoft on ps2 because really people at Square were really just lazy, after all they had so much more resource so they had no reason to be late.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
You know there are Pokémon moves with animations like this in SMUSUM and SWSH right?

The cool thing about this compared to what we have now is that everything seems to be quicker/snappier and the pokemon make contact more clearly. It's not even the 3vs3 aspect, this fake game just presents the battles with more excitement.

If official Pokemon games presented their battles more like this in the future it would make me really happy. As they are now they are just slow and boring to watch.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The cool thing about this compared to what we have now is that everything seems to be quicker/snappier and the pokemon make contact more clearly. It's not even the 3vs3 aspect, this fake game just presents the battles with more excitement.

If official Pokemon games presented their battles more like this in the future it would make me really happy. As they are now they are just slow and boring to watch.
They have sped up the animations in SWSH though.

As for contact, I can't speak to that. Some do, as we see with Flame Charge.

0H8cuBX.gif

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Come on that's not even contact. It just has a seperate fire and hit animation and a recoil animation that you see after every attack.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
What makes you think they have resource by the millions to begin with.
And why do I limit myself to JRPG? Because that's what they're making and you can't possibly believe that making a JRPG requires the same skillset as making any other game either.
Like why do you think it's mostly action games that get released near system launches? Because JRPG makers are lazy bums that can't get their ducks in a row quick enough or something?
Naughty dog released games earlier than Squaresoft on ps2 because really people at Square were really just lazy, after all they had so much more resource so they had no reason to be late.

Stop the bad faith and the mental gymnastic, you're tiring. Making animations for a JRPG is the exact same deal as making animations for any other genre. If you think otherwise, you clearly don't know what you're talking about and should just trop trying to jump on everyone who critcized - rightfully - GF.

It's not a matter of laziness, stop with the obvious "lazy-dev" bait, you're transparent and ridiculous. It's a matter of being stingy and refusing to invest more money because the product (Pokemon mainline titles) will sell regardless - which is a damn shame. It's a greediness problem.

Jalen

Dec 18, 2017
I do have to say, while I understand that there's only a handful of pokemon in the bootleg game, there's probably less people working on it and in lesser time than GF at this point.

If anything, why doesn't GF just hire people solely dedicated to animating pokemon, rather than cutting pokemon out of the game? It's not like Pokemon doesn't bring in enough money for them.

With all that being said, I really wouldn't mind if Nintendo or another team that works on RPGs took GameFreak's Pokemon assets and made a giant game once every few years, coinciding with the generation launches. They've been pushing the last few generations out in 3 years, and that's plenty of time, IMO for a team to focus on building a game around assets that already exist mostly (the other ~900 pokemon that already have models created)

EDIT: I'm not saying things like the battle system should be changed, just the presentation and scale. I think the battle system, while a bit sluggish and boring to watch is fine, mechanically.