• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Where does this come from? If you want to criticize TLJ or RoS that's fine, but at least make a coherent point when you are trying to say it was worse than the prequels.

The prequel story was contrived garbage. The fact that Lucas had a very general idea ("This is how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader") and still couldn't get anywhere close to a satisfying answer to that question in three movies is not a point in it's favor.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the only good thing about the prequels was palpatine

you can tell because palpatine gets like 10 threads a month

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this is a narrative that doesn't make sense to me. The prequels are hot piles of garbage regardless of how the ST is perceived.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
At a very, very high level there's a good narrative there. But that doesn't make them good movies, it just makes the prequel era a decent setting within which you can do other things.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You didn't need to make this thread. You can argue with people where they are instead of kicking over a straw man and demanding opponents appear.

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
The prequels are fundenemtlally flawed as movies, having "original ideas" or whatever in of themselves does not make them good. I have my issues with the sequels, but they're no way as bad as prequels jeez.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
There's certainly a narrative forming of "At least the PT had lots of new things. Lots of worlds and ships and ideas".
Never mind that the majority of them were terrible. Apparently forty dumb looking droids or ships are the most desirable thing ever.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If a narrative is forming maybe it's because at least some people generally agree with it, and that's okay?

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I like how the prequels crammed all of the essential story that should have been the entire trilogy into one movie (ROTS).

Oct 27, 2017
You didn't need to make this thread. You can argue with people where they are instead of kicking over a straw man and demanding opponents appear.

What is there to argue? OP states the conclusion that those stories were "garbage" and "couldnt get close". You might aswell go and argue with random reddit or youtube comments because they put the same amount of effort as OP.

Other people might at least provide some arguments for their point of view instead of just flinging shit at the opposition.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
This is the explanation you're looking for

Tldw: the prequels follow the theming set up in the OT that war is bad and try to tell a story about the sociopolitical elements of the galaxy that led to imperialism, the rise of fasicist empire from a democracy, flaws of the jedi as an institution as well as mirroring elements of the bush administration, the war in the middle east and elements that led up to it. Showing that the "great past" the OT presents us with, wasn't all that great and that with a bit of sense a lot of this could've been avoided.

And to further answer your question, in contrast the only story JJ Abrams is interested in telling is: "Hey, wasn't the OT cool?"

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I also don't get like, how many people have said this? Even if you saw 200 people saying this, which you prob didn't, how many millions of people have seen Star Wars? Is that enough to bemoan a "forming narrative"?

Nov 8, 2017
Both the PT and ST are stories that didn't need to be told, and while the PT is indeed "more coherent" in terms of having a final destination to arrive at start to end, they're not better films.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Prequels are bad movies that have occasionally good moments but at least the prequels knock it out of the park when it came to world building. Star Wars the movie series is not strengthened by the prequels but Star Wars the media franchise is much better off because of the prequels. Most recent example is Battlefront 2, instead of relying on sequel trilogy stuff it was Clone Wars content that largely saved that game.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know about "story" but the prequels certainly added to the "canon" a ton. It fleshed out the world in interesting ways, versus something like the sequels, that arguably have better story but almost no world building.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
nostalgia has kicked in for a lot of people. prequels are irredeemable trash.

in 15 years you'll see a lot more appreciation for the sequels too.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
most of the praise in regards to the prequels is that it tried something new instead of just making more of the same (which you cant deny - even if you consider space politics boring... which they kind of are) and had excellent world building (which...I agree with).

they felt ambitious, even if they were largely poor.

the prequels have spawned/inspired some great spinoffs/side media too, which helps

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I like the prequels well enough... they're still the worst of the movies, but they're fun in their own way.

Can't say as the story/narrative was ever why, though.

OP
OP
TheMango55

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I also don't get like, how many people have said this? Even if you saw 200 people saying this, which you prob didn't, how many millions of people have seen Star Wars? Is that enough to bemoan a "forming narrative"?

You're saying my point is moot because I haven't read and addressed the opinon of every one of the millions of people who have seen Star Wars?

I haven't made any sort of scientific analysis, but I've probably seen 100+ posts or user reviews comparing the prequels favorably to one of the sequels, and almost every one had some form of this argument. There are multiple people making this argument in this very thread but you think it isn't a real narrative?

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
This is not going to go the way you think Did you want validation that prequels are shit?

Some people like the prequels. Get over it.

Some people like ideas more than execution.

Making a thread like this helps no one. You treat prequel fans as people treat TLJ and ROS fans

Make peace with the fact that some people like the prequels.

Oct 26, 2017
Garbage is garbage. I didn't say to myself at the end of the PT " hey, well that sucked ass but because there was a point to be made, I can't say I wasted my time".
The prequels having an overall point is why that era has resonated with people and has contributed as a solid base to a lot of good stories like the Clone Wars. The sequels don't really have an identity or a purpose of their own and won't age as well.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The ST is awful. PT brought so much to the franchise, was interesting and yes was extremely easy to follow and didn't fuck with the OT.

People still can't over the fact that there are PT fans? Lol

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I personally haven't heard anyone championing the narratives of the prequel movies in response to Rise of Skywalker, but I have heard people express a newfound appreciation of those movies on some level, and I get that. I think what people are appreciating is that the movies had a singular vision, tried new things, reached for some heights (usually stumbling along the way) and came from a place of -- for better and mostly worse -- genuine creative impulse. They even offered some pretty big innovations on a technical level (even just speaking in terms of shooting on digital film), akin to the first Star Wars.

I don't think many people are saying that they're good, though. I mean, you only have to browse my post history to see that I'm just about as anti-Disney as they come (in terms of their deeply unsettling grasp on our popular culture). On top of that, I don't think Rise of the Skywalker is a good movie. And as a viewer, I really don't like it for a litany of reasons. But, while I share a smidgen of newfound appreciation for the prequels for the reasons listed above, not a single movie produced by post-capitalist-dystopia Disney has been as narratively amateurish as the prequels. More than that, people are allowing themselves to forgot how shockingly incompetent the prequels were on basic filmmaking levels -- student-film-esque blocking (Jesus the blocking) and staging, lots of editing that is insanely rote and repetitive at best, banal framing and the famously poor dialogue and acting direction.

All of this got to mainstream cinemas -- all the admirable bits and the astonishingly bad execution -- because of Lucas' independence from the studio system. People forget that, though Fox may have distributed them and though the budgets may have been enormous, those are independent films. I understand and relate to missing the verve and even the fun weirdness that goes with that in light of our current Star Wars situation; it's literally the antithesis of what we have now -- the most blatantly studio-driven studio movies in film history, with even the most daring of the new Star Wars movies not being fully free from the ick of Disney's market-pandering touch. But let's also not forget that the prequels were staggeringly bad pieces of filmmaking. Twenty years later, it still kind of fills me with awe that products of their size are as sloppy as they are.

Last edited:

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I think they make plenty of sense plot wise, but Anakin's actor is hot garbage so that puts a damper on things.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I get the feeling people aren't saying the PT is good, just that it's better or did more of worth than the ST.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
The structure of the prequels were horrible. The first one was basically pointless. The second one was nearly pointless except for maybe the start of the Clone Wars.

They prequels should have started in the middle of the Clone Wars and the 2nd one should have ended with like Anakin joining the dark side secretly, and the third one was the fallout.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The ST is awful. PT brought so much to the franchise, was interesting and yes was extremely easy to follow and didn't fuck with the OT.

People still can't over the fact that there are PT fans? Lol
It did an immense amount of fucking with the OT. This was a central criticism in the 2000s.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They all feel very disconnected, but they have a sort of hard end point. The sequels had a blank slate to do anything and move everything forward, but at the end, the Galaxy is sort of just in the same place it was at the end of Return of the Jedi.

I like the sequels but I get it

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Resetera should be renamed to star wars, wars.
The movie came out two days ago. Yeah, it's a hot topic. But it wasn't that long ago this forum was all Marvel all the time, and before that we were all Game of Thronesing it up, and it won't be too long before it's all Election 2020 all the time.

It's totally fine for Star Wars to have some spotlight.