• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy moly. I mean.... Like, I feel like I HAVE to watch the animation if you're gonna put that much effort into the op. Jeez.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Animation is extremely dope.

Pass me on that song though.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of talent in Chinese animation (from what I've seen on YouTube).

Just…waiting on a more accessible way to watch it.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
8JXqFFP.gif

I got a new reaction gif

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I have zero knowledge about the chinese animation scene. Looks very japanese…
The "anime" style has been popular not just in Japan, but Taiwan, Korea, China and other forawhile now.

And since Japan also outsource alot of their animation to China and Korea, they have been making their own "anime" for awhile too.

Anime is just short for animation, and manga is just comic in japanese.

Currently, it's more of a art style that is popularized in Asia(Taiwan, China, Japan, Korea, etc) and it's just a form of media, which can span multiple genre.
So it does feel slightly...racist? to just say all of a specific media is bad, when it can span many thing.

But in general, when people talk about anime and manga, their talking about the moe culture part of it.
Which is a problematic group, but a vocal minroity with alot of disposable income, so the popular are tailor toward them in game, and other media.

Like this a chinese serie made in China, but if just looking at the art style, most people would say it's anime.

Or if looking at Manga, look at Pronjea, a Taiwanese artist living in Taiwan and has publish in Shounen Jump in Japan.
And currently has 3 ongoing serie in Japan too.
EpV1kjdU8AAypZF

EdXlxo3UEAATZ_P

And Korea has their own thing too, they call it Webtoon
244bd655609b1f72d8992c82e102bebc.jpg

IMG_20210625_212335_compress80-1.jpg

et7rzjevoaa9xti-1.jpeg

And Taiwan, we also have ACG(Anime, Comic, Game) convention that city governer and our president visited, and also city government supporting local artist by having them make anime style mascot for transport, like the K.R.T Girls.
zU2kHSf7evG6ckOBiSaZb_nNgm7SZ0Yu8zmFtoOV75Y.jpg

Our current president visiting the Taipei Fancy Frontier
d1584122.jpg

24589894452_f8b0ca14d5_b.jpg

And legislator that was also a professional cosplayer
pOLju7Z.jpg

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Blew my mind when I saw it floating around on twitter. From what I've seen the actual anime/donghua doesn't match that quality at all. Like not even close.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "anime" style has been popular not just in Japan, but Taiwan, Korea, China and other forawhile now.

And since Japan also outsource alot of their animation to China and Korea, they have been making their own "anime" for awhile too.

Currently, it's more of a art style that is popularized in Asia(Taiwan, China, Japan, Korea, etc) and it's just a form of media, which can span multiple genre.
So it does feel slightly...racist? to just say all of a specific media is bad, when it can span many thing.

But in general, when people talk about anime and manga, their talking about the moe culture part of it.
Which is a problematic group, but a vocal minroity with alot of disposable income, so the popular are tailor toward them in game, and other media.

Like this a chinese serie made in China, but if just looking at the art style, most people would say it's anime.

Or if looking at Manga, look at Pronjea, a Taiwanese artist living in Taiwan and has publish in Shounen Jump in Japan.
EpV1kjdU8AAypZF

EdXlxo3UEAATZ_P

et7rzjevoaa9xti-1.jpeg

And Taiwan, we also have ACG(Anime, Comic, Game) convention that city governer and our president visited, and also city government supporting local artist by having them make anime style mascot for transport, like the K.R.T Girls.

d1584122.jpg

pOLju7Z.jpg

Last South Korean Anime I watched was Wonderful Days-

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
That's damn gorgeous for sure.

Isn't it like... illegal to show skeletons in media in China though?

What's your source for this? I see this a lot and I'm always curious why people say it.

EpV1kjdU8AAypZF

EdXlxo3UEAATZ_P

et7rzjevoaa9xti-1.jpeg

d1584122.jpg

pOLju7Z.jpg

Chthonic is legendary for real though. I adore them.

edit: Though, I feel like there's a huge difference between Japanese and Korean anime/manga. Webtoons have a really distinctive style.

With a lot of Chinese anime/manga, I feel like the lines are cleaner/shading is more flat? I also think I see a lot of the same motifs.

Even Japanese anime about China doesn't quite have the same look.

Last edited:

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
What's your source for this? I see this a lot and I'm always curious why people say it.
I remember hearing that World of Warcraft had to change all of their skeleton undead characters to zombies for the Chinese market back in the day.

This article suggests that the changes were voluntary, but doesn't give a very clear reason for why that specific change would have been made:

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I remember hearing that World of Warcraft had to change all of their skeleton undead characters to zombies for the Chinese market back in the day.

This article suggests that the changes were voluntary, but doesn't give a very clear reason for why that specific change would have been made:

Read the article, doesn't sound like it's illegal to show skeletons and ghosts in Chinese media lol.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Read the article, doesn't sound like it's illegal to show skeletons and ghosts in Chinese media lol.
Yeah. Clearly the idea that this would be preferable to the censors came from *somewhere*, but it's not explicitly illegal. I don't know why zombies would promote superstition less than skeletons...?

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas

I used "illegal" as hyperbole, but yeah, the World of Warcraft was the main thing I was thinking of.

Quick google, though they weren't the only ones to censor themselves in China regarding skeletons though

magicuntapped.com

No Skeletons in China: Why Magic had to have alternate card art in China for over a decade - Magic Untapped

Did you know that 'Magic' cards with skeletons in the art at one time needed alternate artwork in China?

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, this is done by the same dudes who do Punishing: Grey Raven's OST? Huh. Well, they've been really killing it lately!

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

There wasn't any specific "law"

It's the censor board's reconendation, similiar to the current removing all english from games, so like Princess Connect had their english removed

Princess Connect Redive was just released in China earlier two month ago

And they removed all English from the game....

Title
153df2aa3bdd81a6f212ee428d2b04eaeba09b7b.png

Miss (Miss attack)
17d4dd7bc0eac4e60e031e4ecaef49e0aa29db54.jpg

Fail Battle/mission
27b7ce5cf7c6bd563c21980b4635089b5d678626.jpg

Start
cb548c0ecef216a26b766b0a6aacf84b59df4cff.jpg

Difficulity(Normal, hard, etc)
4dd1cc03811e66fff072b3baa2ca5794583f298d.jpg

Rarity is now...Number?
05f90cf83d65a38d1bb0dd1348e55bd0beeffa91.jpg

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Chthonic is legendary for real though. I adore them.

edit: Though, I feel like there's a huge difference between Japanese and Korean anime/manga. Webtoons have a really distinctive style.

With a lot of Chinese anime/manga, I feel like the lines are cleaner/shading is more flat? I also think I see a lot of the same motifs.

Even Japanese anime about China doesn't quite have the same look.

I think it'll depend too on the artist and serie, similiar to Korean Webtoon, there are those that are korean, and there are some that are more...Japanese, although in my experience in reading it, the Korean Webtoon, the shoujo stuff is pretty good, and they actually do Wuxia stuff better then alot of Chinese one.
But it is more like current style that is more like

A serie that came out in the 90s, where other wuxia serie also came out, they have their own...style?

新蜀山劍俠傳
201710241706385640.jpg

仙劍奇俠傳四
20180806162442_32975.png

360_170905113229_1.jpg

456404a9e2.jpg

Chinese%2BPaladin%2B4-3.jpg

古劍奇譚
8-EtJUTAOo3Pa3YUZKcNnheuvXuOHFYNM9I0DCBF6aIlTJkPyAVg0xDo9OYvacxxwMjM_IrXAToFHd4mc88NDRVUIvmiEMXtNCfLXxbajWwuadFa9nOoeyMJ

絕代雙驕
20102231211347420.jpg

Or

天地劫, which got a new Mobage recently. in which the origional art is more HK Wuxia comic style
hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

And in the mobage, these two chara are in the top left in the new style(All chara are now done in this style for the new game)
20210309144218_54561.jpg

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have a chance to catch the first episode yet?

I haven't found any avenue to watch it yet anywhere, so I'm curious.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Anyone have a chance to catch the first episode yet?

I haven't found any avenue to watch it yet anywhere, so I'm curious.

Yeah Ep 1-2 were released. The animation in it is standard, not bad, not amazing, definitely don't expect anything resembled the OP's high quality.

About the story, it's a cultivation power fantasy in a modern city setting. It's not really my thing but the source material(a web-novel) is rather popular in China, so maybe it has its intended audience.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Ep 1-2 were released. The animation in it is standard, not bad, not amazing, definitely don't expect anything resembled the OP's high quality.

About the story, it's a cultivation power fantasy in a modern city setting. It's not really my thing but the source material(a web-novel) is rather popular in China, so maybe it has its intended audience.
I guess that makes the op even more amazing then, aw well.

Thanks for the info.