• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
images

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
For truly independent events you're right, but there are environmental / biological factors that might influence the ratio.

Well, they should still be independent events. From what I can tell, that would just slightly change the ratio of boys to girls. I couldn't find any case where it seemed like having girls affected the rate of having more girls, and there shouldn't be any effect for children born to different families.

Regarding the ratio itself, I considered going into it but when I googled it, the difference seems small enough that assuming 50/50 is pretty reasonable (the most extreme case I found was still less than 2% higher).

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the odds of this are at any rate 1 to a few thousands. The odds of this happening in /some/ village in Europe? Pretty darn reasonable.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1 in 4096 odds. Unlikely, but it was going to happen eventually. The only reason this seems significant is because of how low the birth rate is.

Think about it like this. According to a quick Google, in 2010 there were about 267 people born per minute. At that rate on average you can expect a string of 12 AFAB people being born in a row every 15 minutes.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
nah, sample size that small, we're almost certainly talking about a coincidence

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
With how many villages there are in the world, I would say it would be much more noteworthy if not a single village in the world had had a 12-in-a-row streak of one gender.