• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Hank-Hill-upset-gif.gif

What the hell is with this!?

Hell no I'm not going to quote your post so I get thrown to the bottom of the page just to read some two word nonsense only to spend more precious time relocating where I left off. Even worse when people hide the rest of their point or info in said "hidden text" almost obligating readers to quote-to-reveal just to complete the thought.

This is quickly becoming a bigger pet peeve than future-quoting, which has largely been mitigated by the much smoother "find post" arrow and notification system. But it's a growing trend and one that MUST BE STOPPED. We live in a society, people.

Use the hidden text feature for it's intended purpose; hiding more sensitive information like Friend/User IDs, emails, etc from trolls and lurkers. If you wanna hide your text for the odd joke or such, use the spoiler function like at the old forum.

I repeat:
Use the spoiler function for hiding text we can easily reveal
Use the Hide Text feature for contact-sensitive information

What do you say Era? Join me in this civilized future. It's nice here.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3345

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is with this!?

Hell no I'm not going to quote your post so I get thrown to the bottom of the page just to read some two word nonsense only to spend more precious time relocating where I left off. Even worse when people hide the rest of their point or info in said "hidden text" almost obligating readers to quote-to-reveal just to complete the thought.

This is quickly becoming a bigger pet peeve than future-quoting, which has largely been mitigated by the much smoother "find post" arrow and notification system. But it's a growing trend and one that MUST BE STOPPED. We live in a society, people.

Use the hidden text feature for it's intended purpose; hiding more sensitive information like Friend/User IDs, emails, etc from trolls and lurkers. If you wanna hide your text for the odd joke or such, use the spoiler function like at the old forum.

I repeat:
Use the spoiler function for hiding text we can easily reveal
Use the Hide Text feature for contact-sensitive information

Hidden content

Hidden content
Hidden content

Hank Hill

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I agree.It's been bugging me lately too.

OP
OP
PeakPointMatrix
Oct 25, 2017

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have never revealed the hidden text. Whatever you wrote there shall remain hidden. :P

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
THANK YOU

Whenever I see it, I just can't be bothered when most of the time it's a joke that ain't funny.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously people. I ain't fucking clicking your God damn post for a question you have. You are essentially making it nobody will read it.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I agree it's the most obnoxious and self important thing imaginable.

If you do It, rest assured I have never and will never quote your post.

Ira

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's kind of annoying. Would it be feasible to make the tag actually display its content to users who are logged in and not otherwise? Seems like something that could be hacked together, but I don't know the board's software.

While I'm at it, I miss inline spoilers.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
If anything else, the "Hide text behind quotes" and "Insert Quote" buttons probably should change places. I can get why the option of This post contains hidden text. Quote to reveal it. is there, but I feel like that isn't used as often as those would who use spoiler tags to hide their thoughts unless if others want to see it.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Agreed. We've already had a topic on this.

Biggest issue? The toolbar should have a button for the spoiler tag, and not the hidden text tag.

Tue story: If you put your text behind a "hidden text" tag, I will never read it.

Nope, never.

EDIT: I had no idea the spoiler tag button was under the "+" button I've been typing that tag out manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.