• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
First of all sorry if my English is not that good.. anyways..

not long ago i made a thread about a site called True-Gaming which claimed that they have a special source saying Square Enix planning an early 2020 release for the Final Fantasy VII Remake, that site is in Arabic and i can read that, also King Zell is an admin over there so i think this info came from him, King Zell has correctly predicted and leaked many informations in the past.

Here's the link to the rumour:
https://www.true-gaming.net/home/392095/

So what do you think guys? Is it realistic to expect an early 2020 release date now especially after the "The Return Draws Closer" line from the trailer and Nomura's Tweets about the plans being set for it, also do you think the game looks in a great state now judging from the state of play trailer?

I personally think the game will actually be an early 2020 release and the over 3 years wait from the last trailer wasn't for nothing, they waited till the game is closer to release and then released a new trailer.

Greaf

Feb 26, 2018
In the recent shareholders report, Matsuda said a big game will make money this fiscal year (something like that). FF7R is the only one eligible

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
June is when we'll get a "2020" announcement (which is then followed by delays that push it back to 2021/22)

This is what I've come to expect from SE

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
yeah sounds legit. They are not showing this game again after these years, if the release is not in sight

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I'm legit shocked that this is still coming out on PS4...I for sure thought it was gonna be a big PS5 launch title.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
2020 is what I expected, not sure if it will be early or late, but I dont think it will be delayed to 2021, even if we are talking about SE...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We'll probably get another video of scenes from the first 10 minutes of the game

To be entirely fair, the video actually has some scenes from post-Wall Market (Cloud/Tifa/Aeris party, the boss in the sewers after Don Corneo, Cloud/Tifa/Barret in the subway tunnels trying to head to ShinRa HQ), so the trailer does extend a good couple of hours into the game. It's not just the bombing mission anymore.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Will part 2 ever come out is the real question. I don't see many people buying into half a game that could be years before the rest is released.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
They are going to announce 3 FF games simultaneously like they did with FFIX, FFX and FFXI. Only this time it's FFVIIR part 1, part 2, part 3. Release dates 2020, 2023 and 2026.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Until today the only thing we'd seen from FF7R is what basically amounted to proof of concept footage, so I'm not sure you can take that as reasoning.

You mean besides years of Nomura and Kitase talking about their progress and literally telling us we'd get more after KH3 release? *cue a dozen Koozek quote/references*
Sure.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You been besides years of Nomura and Kitase talking about their progress and literally telling us we'd get more after KH3 release? Sure.

That's not what you said though. You said "seen". Talking about progress means nothing until we see something.

Just because CD hasn't been out publicly reassuring everyone doesn't mean they aren't working on anything.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Until today the only thing we'd seen from FF7R is what basically amounted to proof of concept footage, so I'm not sure you can take that as reasoning.

IMO seeing the state that FF7R is in today gives a good assumption on which game is likely to be the cause for the spike in forecasted income, because there isn't a lot of things on SE's horizon that can account for that. Avengers is a big service title that we have still seen and heard little about.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
That's not what you said though. You said "seen". Talking about progress means nothing until we see something.

Just because CD hasn't been out publicly reassuring everyone doesn't mean they aren't working on anything.

Oh, no doubt they've been working... but... we had seen footage on VIIR before yesterday, so...

Last edited:

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I could definitely see them aiming for the slot KH3 fell into with how that sold. Jan 2020

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, no doubt they've been working... but... we had seen footage on VIIR before yesterday, so...

I don't really put much stock in what they showed in 2015. The game looks so different today that it's clear whatever they showed then was ridiculously early.

My point is that before today, FF7R existed as "I hope we see it soon" and that changed in one day to "wow it's gotta be out soon right?"

The exact same thing can happen with Avengers if CD shows up in a month with flashy footage. There's really no reason to think it can't. Will it? That's a different story. But I'm not discounting the possibility.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I don't really put much stock in what they showed in 2015. The game looks so different today that it's clear whatever they showed then was ridiculously early.

My point is that before today, FF7R existed as "I hope we see it soon" and that changed in one day to "wow it's gotta be out soon right?"

The exact same thing can happen with Avengers if CD shows up in a month with flashy footage. There's really no reason to think it can't. Will it? That's a different story. But I'm not discounting the possibility.

You know, I realize my last posts were pedantic and I concede this discussion by admitting you make a solid point(s). My apologies. 😅

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
IMO seeing the state that FF7R is in today gives a good assumption on which game is likely to be the cause for the spike in forecasted income, because there isn't a lot of things on SE's horizon that can account for that. Avengers is a big service title that we have still seen and heard little about.

I do agree with that, it's likely that is the title they are projecting.

But at the same time I don't see how Square can make it out of this year without revealing that Avengers game. It's just been quiet for too long, and unlike FF7 and other things that got caught in Square Enix development hell, this one has a very powerful partner likely breathing down their necks about it.

Nov 23, 2017
It's coming out either in Fall 2019 or early 2020. Bank on that. I've said that from the beginning and I will die on that hill, if necessary.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
But at the same time I don't see how Square can make it out of this year without revealing that Avengers game. It's just been quiet for too long, and unlike FF7 and other things that got caught in Square Enix development hell, this one has a very powerful partner likely breathing down their necks about it.

With Spider-Man and UA3, Marvel has been pretty open about taking their time to make the product right, so I don't necessarily expect them to force a reveal just for anything. I do still expect a re-reveal though, because I am guessing the game should be reaching about mid-development now and ready to be shown, unless something terrible is going on behind the scenes.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With Spider-Man and UA3, Marvel has been pretty open about taking their time to make the product right, so I don't necessarily expect them to force a reveal just for anything. I do still expect a re-reveal though, because the game should be reaching about mid-development now and ready to be shown, unless something terrible is going on behind the scenes.

Spider-Man and UA3 seem to have had standard dev cycles though

This is a situation where we heard literally nothing about the game last year while having one trailer in 2017 and were told more was coming in 2018.

There's clearly something going on behind the scenes with it.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Come to think of it, this is the first time we saw something past the initial bombing run mission. There was a sahagin in the last trailer so thats at least after going to don corneo's place and getting dunked in the sewer after cornering him. If they adapt all the midgar material in the early game, theres only a few hours of shit there, so I could definately see them greatly expanding on that part of the game if they're going to do anything at all as far as that goes. Its just the grind that makes that early part of the game feel way longer than it actually is.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Spider-Man and UA3 seem to have had standard dev cycles though

This is a situation where we heard literally nothing about the game last year while having one trailer in 2017 and were told more was coming in 2018.

There's clearly something going on behind the scenes with it.

If we assume the game was about 1 year in pre-production in 2017 (because they were hiring for it at the time after CD wrapped RoTR) then full scale development should be around 2 years, which would still be perfectly normal. Plans could have changed to show the game when it was in a more stable form.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If we assume the game was about 1 year in pre-production in 2017 (because they were hiring for it at the time) then full scale development should be around 2-3 years, which would still be perfectly normal.

So then why not talk about it at all last year when they clearly said they would? Even if just from a presentation perspective, things are obviously in flux.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
In the recent shareholders report, Matsuda said a big game will make money this fiscal year (something like that). FF7R is the only one eligible
FF14 is getting an expansion in a little under 2 months. FF14 makes pretty good money for SE last time I checked, so they're probably banking on it a bit. Especially because there's a glut of people leaving WoW to check out FF14 right now.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So then why not talk about it at all last year when they clearly said they would? Even if just from a presentation perspective, things are obviously in flux.

Marketing plans are always in flux, especially when the game is still reasonably far out. I can only speculate that they wanted to wait for the game to be more solidified? Otherwise there might have been a situation like Anthem when the vertical slice was shown while the game was still in terrible flux, creating even more problems on the development side.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
The fact that they waited so long to show the game off again leaves me inclined to think that they've waited until the game was close to release. Maybe not as early as Spring 2020, but if it weren't releasing until 2021, I'd be surprised. The game seems to have undergone enough changes, that it doesn't feel as if they're just recycling old content. Though it is a bit disappointing to see so much Midgar centric stuff. Perhaps those who think that the first game will be Midgar alone are right, but that leaves over 80% of the game's content to be covered by other games, inevitably blowing up one section of the game to abbreviate others. Of course, if you're going to do this for any section of the game, it's going to be Midgar.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I'm legit shocked that this is still coming out on PS4...I for sure thought it was gonna be a big PS5 launch title.

Episode 1, at least. We'll have to see how long it takes them to release episode two and three. I imagine they'll still hit PS4, but if it takes two to three years for each one, we could be talking about the PS6 by the time the final episode releases.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I don't really think the last footage we had seen before this new teaser is that much different though? It was more rough, sure. But you can definitely see that the foundation is still the same.