• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Thread locked.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is this a thing? Yadda, yadda don't mod whine [THREAD LOCKED]. Listen, I once made a good-faith thread about why more shit posting should be allowed. Call me a fool, but I feel the forum needs to discuss certain moderation in open and not through backdoor PMs.

This particular rationale for a thread lock has always not sat right with me. It makes no sense. How can a thread "run its course" if people are still posting in it and discussing it? Who cares if the arguments keep circling back around? The reason for that must be that the discussion is still active and has not been exhausted, if a thread had truly run its course then no one would be paying attention to and/or posting in it.

The let's call it "free market" of the forum already self-corrects any discussion with regards to relevance. If a topic is important towards posters on the forum, it will stay active. Once the discussion is exhausted it falls into the abyss. Truly exhausted discussions/threads cannot even survive necro-bumps as everyone would have already seen the thread, said their peace, and left. How often do necro-bumps result in 5 or more pages of discussion unless it's some truly new piece of information from the OP? Almost never.

So, why do threads get locked under the basis of having "run its course" when in reality the course is still being run? If the "real" reason for the thread being locked is different, than why not just say that instead of the vague and nonsensical "thread has run its course?"

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
This turn of phrase is usually used when a discussion is going in circles and is no longer bringing anything new to the table (except perhaps more bitterness between members), or when a discussion has gone off the rails and degraded to a point where it has become unproductive and ugly.

Unfortunately, threads that reach that point do not always die off on their own. Left untouched, they can simply keep on going around and around. Determining where the line is will always be somewhat subjective, but making that call is an essential part of moderation and I believe the staff is generally good about doing so.

This is what sets a traditional forum format apart from something like Reddit where the "free market" dynamic more frequently prevails.

Status
Not open for further replies.