• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
I've seen snippets of stuff about Microsoft and bringing exclusives to other platforms in the future on Twitter. I first thought it was just to do with the Bethesda acquisition but it's blown up so is clearly a lot bigger but could someone summarise exactly what is expected / was leaked? Is it still just that they're planning on bringing some titles across or will it be a lot (or most)?

Last edited:

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Hey there! Gifted myself with Against the Storm but discovered that I can't play it with gamepad.

The game does have options for fiddling the game pad controls, although it does seem that its not supported for realsies. The internets doesn't really say anything definite and I'm kinda unhappy, because I want to play these kinds of games lying on the couch. Big Picture mode doesn't help. Nor does DS4Windows. On a Dualsense, over bluetooth.

If anyone has any ideas they'd be much appreciated!

Happy New Year, folks!
Older post but nobody answered. You need to manually enable Steam Input in the game's properties on Steam. After you do that, boot it up and open the steam overlay, open up steam input options, and check the community templates and you may find that someone already made exactly what you need.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Hi,

My son has received a beginner gaming PC for Christmas, he has downloaded Fortnite on it but it doesn't run well at all. I'm trying to remotely help him over video call but it isn't always easy as he isn't experienced with PC's and is 12.

His PC has the Nvidia geforce 1050 GPU and Intel i5 6400 CPU and 8gb of RAM. Initially Fortnite wouldn't run at all would just be extremely low FPS and then crash. I have got him to put all the settings to low nd turn off replay recording and it ran for a while at around 30fps then he said it froze.

I know he hasn't got the best PC in terms of spec but I was under the impression that Fortnite would run in a playable manner? Am I missing something? I've checked the monitor is plugged into the GPU and everything else looks fine. He says Rocket League runs OK.

I've told him it would be good to add more RAM as it is an inexpensive upgrade he can do. From some sites I have checked it says he should get around 70-80fps on medium settings. So I'm confused as to where we are going wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.
Make sure the "Rendering Mode" that the game is using is the Performance option. Depending on how old the benchmarks are, they may not be accurate because Fortnite has received very significant engine changes in the last year or so. That Performance rendering mode should work well still though.

That said, that 1050 is gonna be pretty darn limiting in 2024. Since it's a kid and they certainly don't need anything fancy, throwing a used 1070 in there would do wonders compared to that 1050 and can be had for under $100. Unfortunately the 2 GB of VRAM on that 1050 will keep a lot of games from even booting, while the 1070 will open the door to everything (for now). It should also give you a whole lot less troubleshooting to worry about lol.

agm2502

Feb 11, 2019
Make sure the "Rendering Mode" that the game is using is the Performance option. Depending on how old the benchmarks are, they may not be accurate because Fortnite has received very significant engine changes in the last year or so. That Performance rendering mode should work well still though.

That said, that 1050 is gonna be pretty darn limiting in 2024. Since it's a kid and they certainly don't need anything fancy, throwing a used 1070 in there would do wonders compared to that 1050 and can be had for under $100. Unfortunately the 2 GB of VRAM on that 1050 will keep a lot of games from even booting, while the 1070 will open the door to everything (for now). It should also give you a whole lot less troubleshooting to worry about lol.

Thanks, I will look into a better GPU, when his mum ordered it, it was meant to be the 1050ti and a slightly better processor, so I've advised her to complain as she didn't get what she paid for. He only got it for Christmas so he will have to make do for the moment.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Does 30fps feel different on a smaller screen like steam deck than on a tv?
Depends what you mean by "feel". Obviously it won't do anything for the responsiveness of the game, but what a smaller screen will do is make the gaps between frames (judder) way less noticeable when at 30 fps, so it's marginally smoother looking imo. And if you're talking about the LCD model of the steam deck, for certain types of motion the very slow response times of the screen also make it appear a bit smoother, though it honestly does more harm than good imo.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Thanks, I will look into a better GPU, when his mum ordered it, it was meant to be the 1050ti and a slightly better processor, so I've advised her to complain as she didn't get what she paid for. He only got it for Christmas so he will have to make do for the moment.
Dang, yeah that is unfortunately not uncommon in the prebuilt world. Hopefully she'll get what she paid for.

VIPER

Nov 12, 2023
F1m9ADO.gif

What game is this? Looks incredible.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question about acquisitions of PlayStation/Sony and Xbox/Microsoft.
What's the source of money for those companies to buy studios/publishers? Does PlayStation pay money to buy studios like Bungie from SIE/PS department, but Xbox uses Microsoft's money for things like Bethesda and Activision Blizzard?

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone here played a game called Afterimage? I bought it last night, but after finding an old thread here about it, I found out that it's a 30-hour Metroidvania. I love Metroidvanias, but I feel like 30 hours is about 20 hours too long for that type of game. I was just wondering if the game justifies its length or if it sort of drags on.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Homage. The old dev is long dead and the new one's existence pre-dates that death by some years. The founder used to work for Traveller's Tales (Many, many lego games)

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
What's the best system to play Elden Ring on?
I have ps5, xsx, and a good PC. I tried it on PS5 but the stuttering was crazy that I had to drop it.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I'm tying to remember a game... and I can't think of it. It was either cancelled or coming soon—i.e. not released.

It's a FPS with a 70s/retro-vibe, designed by (I think) ex-Infinity Ward developers by way of a new studio. I've Googled with no luck, and thought there was a TGA trailer for it a year or two ago, but I can't seem to find that, either. Any clues? It's not Marathon, I know that.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
What should I set my PS5's resolution to on my 1440p monitor? Just wondering 'cause the system handles the resolution setting weirdly for downsampling. For example, when I set 4k and start up FF7 Rebirth, it doesn't affect the integer-scaled image without any modification and it looks very weird, but if you set the resolution to 1440p it's basically a native 1440p image without any of the integer-scaling artifacts.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Vita version of Persona 4 Golden still considered a good way to play the game?

I'm fortunate enough to have a trip to Japan coming up, and it felt like the perfect game to take with me for the flight. (I've owned the game for years, but have never played more that half an hour or so)

I'm not really as concerned about the tech specs, but more if the later versions made any changes/added extra content. Is it worth buying the Switch version instead, or will the Vita version I already own give me more or less the same experience?

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I am playing Metroid Zero Mission, it seems like the next thing that I am supposed to do it fighting Mother Brain, but there are still areas that I have not accesses yet, I don't have the Power Bomb, there seems to be a secret Chozo related area with another suite - Am I supposed to fight Mother Brain now? I know there is an added part that lets me sneak around a Space Pirates ship, but will I be able after that part to continue to hunt down Upgrades or is Mother Brain a Point of No Return?

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I asked my friend about Octopath Traveler, since I've never played it. He said he didn't like it because every fight forces you to chew through enemy defense meters before you can actually do any damage to their HP meters, and that it made even normal encounters a slog to get through. That's the first I've ever heard of it, so I'm wondering if it's true or if there's a chance he missed some major mechanic. Or if everyone just decided that that part of the gameplay isn't enough of a deal breaker.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I am playing Metroid Zero Mission, it seems like the next thing that I am supposed to do it fighting Mother Brain, but there are still areas that I have not accesses yet, I don't have the Power Bomb, there seems to be a secret Chozo related area with another suite - Am I supposed to fight Mother Brain now? I know there is an added part that lets me sneak around a Space Pirates ship, but will I be able after that part to continue to hunt down Upgrades or is Mother Brain a Point of No Return?

Without getting into spoilers - yeah, you should fight Mother Brain now. Don't worry, you won't miss anything and it's not a point of no return.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Dragon's Dogma- Is it like a Soulsborne game mixed with Monster Hunter?

I actually have the game, and tried it once or twice but never more than one hour, and from videos it wasn't really my kind of game, not as big as into Soulsborne games as everyone seems to be and Monster Hunter is also one giant franchise i never got into.

The only thing that really seems to distinguish it are the Pawns, but then i hear talks about how it's a big world RPG and everyone likes it and it's such a massive big seller i am kinda thinking if i should just sit down and play the first game, nothing about it really grabbed my attention or made me want it that much...but i also didn't feel the same for Lies Of P and others.

Just everyone seems to go crazy about Dragon's Dogma and now Dragon's Dogma 2, and the reaction of some to negative reviews is hoping this won't mean Capcom won't make more games like it and i am just wondering if it's...is this a kind of series that just looks really not that great in videos and the tutorial really doesn't sell how great it is either and just gets a ton better after a while?

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Dragon's Dogma- Is it like a Soulsborne game mixed with Monster Hunter?

I actually have the game, and tried it once or twice but never more than one hour, and from videos it wasn't really my kind of game, not as big as into Soulsborne games as everyone seems to be and Monster Hunter is also one giant franchise i never got into.

The only thing that really seems to distinguish it are the Pawns, but then i hear talks about how it's a big world RPG and everyone likes it and it's such a massive big seller i am kinda thinking if i should just sit down and play the first game, nothing about it really grabbed my attention or made me want it that much...but i also didn't feel the same for Lies Of P and others.

Just everyone seems to go crazy about Dragon's Dogma and now Dragon's Dogma 2, and the reaction of some to negative reviews is hoping this won't mean Capcom won't make more games like it and i am just wondering if it's...is this a kind of series that just looks really not that great in videos and the tutorial really doesn't sell how great it is either and just gets a ton better after a while?
Dragons dogma is nothing like souls other than being medieval rpgs.

Sep 6, 2020
Reading all this stuff about frame generation (my PC rig is way too old, but i'm looking forward to an eventual upgrade or PS5 Pro) and I'm wondering... why do we get excited about DLSS etc, while I just spent 20 minutes hunting and killing the scourge that is motion smoothing on my dad's new TV? Is there a significant difference in these technologies? Is it that artificial frames look bad for video but we're conditioned to like higher framerates on games?

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
The very, very, very simplified explanation is your TV apps are working on the finished image just as if it's an image, It can be a game, a movie, racing, shooting, a picture of your mum, anything, it doesn't really know.

Processing side features like DLSS know what's being produced and are in at the start, that gives options.