• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Does Kotaku take article submissions? I'd love to turn some of "my" threads (that saci posted for me) into longer, better, and more well-cited articles for a wider audience.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Kotaku take article submissions? I'd love to turn some of "my" threads (that saci posted for me) into longer, better, and more well-cited articles for a wider audience.

Sort of. They used to have just a contributor site but that's been split off into https://tay.kinja.com/

Talk Amongst Yourselves, which is Nu-Gawker's kinja based reader community. Services all their sites (like AV club) so not just gaming content. They do feature articles from there sometimes or at least used to, not sure how often it they do it these days.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
So as I understand it, Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a Director's Cut that integrates the Missing Link DLC. Does buying the DLC and starting the game with the DLC downloaded give you the same effect as playing the Director's Cut? I ask because I bought Human Revolution on sale for 3 dollars, and now the Director's Cut is on sale for 8, while the DLC is 6. Is buying the DLC and downloading it equivalent to buying the Director's Cut?

EDIT: Actually nevermind, the Director's Cut is 5 dollars. I should just buy that. 3 bucks down the drain! (Unless I shouldn't buy the Director's Cut...?)

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking to buy a headset for the PS4 but I was wondering if those usually relay the game audio aswell or only the chat audio like the earpiece that comes with the PS4?
Because most of them seem to have a cable length of about 1,5m which I guess if for plugging directly into the controller and I'm not sure if that's picking up game audio as well?
Thanks!

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
You can change the behaviour for the PS4 headset in the overlay menu (hold PS button) so that it can send chat or all audio. I have a headset which separates chat through the link to the controller and main audio through the optical output (so I set it to chat only when I'm using that) and a standard set of cheap earbuds where I set it to all audio.

So you should be able to choose regardless of what headset you pick up.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can change the behaviour for the PS4 headset in the overlay menu (hold PS button) so that it can send chat or all audio. I have a headset which separates chat through the link to the controller and main audio through the optical output (so I set it to chat only when I'm using that) and a standard set of cheap earbuds where I set it to all audio.

So you should be able to choose regardless of what headset you pick up.
Oh thanks!

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I've heard it said that Nintendo officially banned Christian games from being released for the NES, but allowed Wisdom Tree/Color Dreams to release their unlicensed Christian game cartridges so they could get brownie points and no bad press from the Christian community. The thing is:

Why did they just not allow games from any religious affiliation to be released? That way they could say that they don't favor any religion; it just so happens that most of the religious games on the system are Christian. It's the same way with a lot of things in the modern-day USA.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Is this the best place for me to try and get things like homophobia from game publishers changed, or is there a better platform for societal change?

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Also, am I the only guy who is kind of creeped out by Mario (the HERO) resorting to mind control in Mario Odyssey?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So here's a question that might lead to me taking on a stupidly big project... and there's a simpler Stupid Gaming Question at the end that might be an easier thing to answer:

I'm currently playing - and rather enjoying - the original Forza Motorsport, but one random aside cropped up at one point: on racing the Laguna Seca track there, it struck me that I was sure that a very old game - we're talking ZX Spectrum-era - had Laguna Seca as a track as well; try as I might, though, I couldn't find it.

But that got me thinking of an aside, which is that there's now an awful lot of real-world tracks that have had representation that spans years and years of gaming. For instance, Silverstone:

Full Throttle:
YIJWMyh.png

Revs:
DeA1Num.png

F1GP:
KaDtFwk.png

Forza Motorsport:
Oo8Rr7u.png

Gran Turismo 6:
8W8WdXx.png

...and I was wondering if there was any track-centric database of racing games collating where tracks appear in multiple games through the years, accentuating how their representation evolves over time. Often you can find that information for a single game (for instance, here's the Wiki page for Silverstone as it's appeared in Forza over the years) but I haven't seen anything that tracks the whole of gaming.

There is a corollary question to this, and it's about tracks that aren't real: Specifically, Mario Kart. Again, there's a great many instances where there are updated versions of classic Mario Kart tracks in newer releases, and even tracks based on the idea of F-Zero tracks (but being, as far as I'm aware, wholly original tracks) - but there's one interesting occurrence the other way, Rainbow Road 64:

Mario Kart 64:
59VnqC6.png

F-Zero X:
ldLaSAO.png

Can anyone think of another example of an original, fictional track guesting in a game outside its original franchise?

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How were you able to transport from one place to another using those machines when during an ending Yorha Bunker was overtaken by virus and seemingly destroyed/abandoned. How did it worked in the first place? Were there empty Android units always present in those machine which can download the data from Bunker when transporting making them the new 2B/9S/XX

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
https://www.reddit.com/r/Undertale/comments/ba9sua/i_emailed_toby_over_half_a_year_ago_and_he_hasnt/

Should I take the replies in this thread to mean that Toby Fox probably isn't interested in having discussions with rando fans?
A better question is that I'm not sure whether to take Toby not responding to that tweet I sent in December asking "Is this the correct email" to mean
1. He didn't see the tweet, so I should try again or
2. He saw it and chose to ignore it, meaning I'd be wrong to tweet him again

It really seems like a 50/50 thing. Advice here? I wasn't trying to just fanboy over him, I was thinking of having a conversation about how the religious culture he grew up in affected some seemingly-related elements in his games.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I got a stupid, nerdy hypothetical going on in my head

What would happen if Max Payne came across Michael, Trevor, Franklin. Would he like and sympathize with them or dislike/hate them. What would he think of them. Would he go after them?

maxpayne3_maxartworkReckoning_640x400.jpg

latest

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Does Kotaku ever promote "Talk Among Yourselves" community articles to main Kotaku site articles, or will anything I post there just languish on TAY forever?

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
I plugged my GBA SP into the charger because it was getting low on juice, and the orange charge light on the side stayed on for a second before shutting off. I let it sit for a few, but it doesn't appear to be retaining a charge.

I use it frequently, so is it possible that the internal battery is dead, or am I looking at having to replace the charger? Anyone know? A cursory Google search turns up nothing.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
A better question is that I'm not sure whether to take Toby not responding to that tweet I sent in December asking "Is this the correct email" to mean
1. He didn't see the tweet, so I should try again or
2. He saw it and chose to ignore it, meaning I'd be wrong to tweet him again

It really seems like a 50/50 thing. Advice here? I wasn't trying to just fanboy over him, I was thinking of having a conversation about how the religious culture he grew up in affected some seemingly-related elements in his games.

You should not think too hard about this. Any person who goes mainstream is hard to reach :)
Imagine the amount of emails, tweets and messages he gets everyday.

He probably is like any famous person and has like 3 phones and many many emails.

Morphis

Oct 28, 2017
Ok here's a stupid question: is there a way to access the PS4 Share menu, without an actual Share button on the controller? I can only find the Share settings menu under Settings, not the actual menu to start streaming/take a screenshot.

I'm playing MK11 on PS4 with an old 360 MadCatz TE via a Brooks converter. I've already looked at the accessibility menu for configuring the buttons, but the Share button isn't listed there.

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I have a question: I'm looking for a game that was announced during E3 2018 or 2017, I don't know which conference. It was a stealth sandbox game on a spacestation. Or maybe not. I think it was played from an first-person perspective. In my memory, everything was kid of yellow-ish and it looked very stylized but rather simple. It was not procedurally generated but some kind of rougelite. I think. I don't know.

But I remember the developer was kind of famous and everyone went crazy, but I never heard of him. It was indie. Am I crazy? Does someone remember this game? Does this game really exist?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question: I'm looking for a game that was announced during E3 2018 or 2017, I don't know which conference. It was a stealth sandbox game on a spacestation. Or maybe not. I think it was played from an first-person perspective. In my memory, everything was kid of yellow-ish and it looked very stylized but rather simple. It was not procedurally generated but some kind of rougelite. I think. I don't know.

But I remember the developer was kind of famous and everyone went crazy, but I never heard of him. It was indie. Am I crazy? Does someone remember this game? Does this game really exist?

I remember a similar game but I don't know what it was called, you're definitely not crazy!

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I really want one of these.

I have no idea how i would go about building one buying one or whatever.

Sudoku myself?

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Which are the best for FF7 PC? (Steam version). I've seen a soundtrack mod to get the proper PS1 OST and a FMV full resolution mod, but some other threads make me think the Steam version got these natively fixed in an update (haven't bought it yet to test it).

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
What was the 2d side scroller game that was showed at one of the gaming events - it was a scifi and had blocky pixels but looked really cool?

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Does anybody else here know who the announcer is for R/C Stunt Copter (PS1 game made by Shiny)? Dude was a total smart ass, annoying yet still funny as hell.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
So, does anybody know when The House in Fata Morgana for PS4 and Vita is supposed to come out?
It was meant to be released in Q1, but it is still nowhere to be found.

Jan 11, 2018
So, uhm...

Game comes out on both PS4, Xbox One and Switch. Only the latter is advertised, accompanied by a review for the PS4 version no less. I see this happen a lot. What gives?

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a thread here for amateur bloggers to share their content, discuss and get criticisms? I would like to read other peoples' blogs and learn new writing styles etc and just have in-depth discussions on video games that might not be possible in normal threads.

For example, I am working on two posts right now: my thoughts on Bloodborne as someone who has never played a FROM game ever and the other post is on some ideas that I think would be interesting for the next Persona 6 game. I don't think either of these deserve threads but if there was a place for people like me to just talk about such things at length, I think it would be really cool.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Am I a weirdo for thinking that somehow Mario mind-controlling enemies is a bit more... disturbing than the usual cartoon violence he does to them?

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
I see that there was a thing called My PS4 Life released by Sony at the end of last year that collated some of your personal stats on PS4 like most played games and how many hours and best trophies but it doesn't seem to be available any more. Is there anywhere else I can find info like this?

Nov 5, 2017
Having a weird Xbox controller/headset issue:
- Headset speaker/headphone works, microphone does not
- The 'mute' button functions (orange light)
- The 'mute microphone' option still appears while in a party
- No firmware update available
- Checked privacy settings etc and seems fine
- Works fine on a different controller (my broken one...)
- It's an official Xbox headset that attaches to the bottom of the controller - not a 3.5mm one
- The controller came with my X and the one that works (the broken one) came with my original one

Anyone know what's gan on?

Wedginald

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
What is it called when video games back in the day would have that little intro trailer/ingame gameplay video that would begin when you didnt press start or anything and left the game afk at the title screen for a bit. Would always be a ritual of mine when the first time I ever booted up the game was to let it wait at the title screen for like a minute and hope that it would do something. Did that have an official name or anything.

Something like this for instance from Chrono Cross https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aoPQQsDYZU

Only reason I ask is I was having some nostalgia pangs and was looking for the one for FF:Tactics on PSX, I remember it had like a job class trailer which I found, but for the life of me, I couldnt find the other one that showed a few cool gameplay bits. Remember it was a cool animation of a knight or something side stepping or stabbing another character.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
What is it called when video games back in the day would have that little intro trailer/ingame gameplay video that would begin when you didnt press start or anything and left the game afk at the title screen for a bit. Would always be a ritual of mine when the first time I ever booted up the game was to let it wait at the title screen for like a minute and hope that it would do something. Did that have an official name or anything.

Something like this for instance from Chrono Cross https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aoPQQsDYZU

Only reason I ask is I was having some nostalgia pangs and was looking for the one for FF:Tactics on PSX, I remember it had like a job class trailer which I found, but for the life of me, I couldnt find the other one that showed a few cool gameplay bits. Remember it was a cool animation of a knight or something side stepping or stabbing another character.
That's usually called 'Attract mode'.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What is the best way to use Headphones with a standard 3.5mm with a PS4? I want to hook up PS4 to my computer monitor and use my headphones for audio.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Plug the headphones straight into the jack on the DS4.
Really? I thought it would only work for the mic audio.
Edit:
You are right! Thanks! Found this:
For the PlayStation 4, you can just use a regular set of 3.5mm headphones to hear game audio through the port on the DualShock 4.
To do so, from the PS menu, go to Settings > Devices > Audio Devices > output to Headphones > With your headphones plugged in select "All Audio" as opposed to "Chat Audio." You can also adjust the volume from Audio Devices > Volume Control (Headphones).

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I thought it would only work for the mic audio.
Edit:
You are right! Thanks! Found this:
For the PlayStation 4, you can just use a regular set of 3.5mm headphones to hear game audio through the port on the DualShock 4.
To do so, from the PS menu, go to Settings > Devices > Audio Devices > output to Headphones > With your headphones plugged in select "All Audio" as opposed to "Chat Audio." You can also adjust the volume from Audio Devices > Volume Control (Headphones).
Yup, works like a charm. Once you're all connected the PS overlay has most of those options too (hold the PS button).

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Do any of the recent 2D Mario games allow for customised controls, like beyond switching AX to BY or whatever? Specifically interested in Mario Maker.

I'd love to get the new'un, but I found NSMB Deluxe unplayable with sprint and jump on face buttons when using a shoulder button to sprint would make significantly more sense. Nintendo seem quite stubborn about this control scheme though, so I wondered if I'm onto a loser pre-ordering this. Very odd of Nintendo of all companies not to try and make these games more accessible, controls-wise!

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Do any of the recent 2D Mario games allow for customised controls, like beyond switching AX to BY or whatever? Specifically interested in Mario Maker.

I'd love to get the new'un, but I found NSMB Deluxe unplayable with sprint and jump on face buttons when using a shoulder button to sprint would make significantly more sense. Nintendo seem quite stubborn about this control scheme though, so I wondered if I'm onto a loser pre-ordering this. Very odd of Nintendo of all companies not to try and make these games more accessible, controls-wise!
Unplayable? Y to run, B to jump. Allows you to use your thumb in a natural position, and without having to move it to perform both. Then you can use shoulder buttons for other actions.