• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Many moons ago, I used to run annual mix exchanges on a forum that most of us used to frequent. These were mostly successful affairs measuring by both participation level and quality workmanship. Over a 10-year period or so, I received a few dozen CDs with songs on them that I had never previously experienced which then became some of my favorites EVER. Some of these tracks have play counts in the hundreds on my iTunes, Google Play Music, and other media organizers that I use.

The other facet of the mix exchange that I really enjoyed was that I would usually rope each participant into doing track-by-track reviews of the mixes they would get from other participants. I would love hearing that people loved or hated certain tracks I would include. It gave me a lot of insight into tastes, and sometimes validation for including some offbeat tracks here and there.

I run into new music here and there on Pandora nowadays, but it seems like the further along I get into my Pandora stations, the more often I hear the same "thumbed-up" tracks before hearing anything new.

Well, I want to give back again, and I want to receive, as well!

This thread is for sharing playlists, individual tracks, Youtube videos, and the like amongst like-minded music lovers. I am not into Pop music, nor hip-hop or country. In fact, many of my favorite tracks are decidedly down-tempo affairs, but I would love to share what I have and in turn receive whatever you lovely posters are willing to share with the rest of us. I presume most people will not have heard most of the tracks that I share, but even if you do, it may be fun to rediscover songs you haven't listened to in a while, or a live version of a studio track that you love.

Not sure how the admins feel about uploading zip files of mixes, but in lieu of that, I have made YouTube playlists of songs that I love, organized with care to flow well thematically. If I were to be able to share my uploads, the files would be properly balanced for volume and without the fat that some videos introduce in the form of intros/outros/etc.

Enough talk. This isn't a thread for the spoken word, after all:

Indie Women (YouTube Playlist)

Tracklisting (as of 10/5/2018)

1. Emiliana Torrini - Birds
2. Joanna Newsom - Emily
3. Mirah - Nobody Has to Stay
4. Aimee Mann - Little Tornado
5. Joanna Newsom - Divers
6. Mount Moriah - The Letting Go
7. Alabama Shakes - This Feeling
8. Joanna Newsom - '81 (Live on Letterman)
9. K.D. Lang - I Dream of Spring (Live)
10. Alela Diane - Age Old Blue
11. Cat Power - Maybe Not
12. Vashti Bunyan - Train Song
13. Neko Case - Deep Red Bells

Indie, then Instrumentals Heading Towards Songs with R&B Inspirations (YouTube Playlist)

1. Talk Talk - Ascension Day
2. Dr. Dog - The World May Never Know
3. The Black Keys - You're the One
4. Neutral Milk Hotel - Three Peaches
5. Bahamas - So Free
6. The Black Keys - Too Afraid to Love You (Live)
7. Washed Out - Feel It All Around
8. Air - Le Voyage de Penelope
9. Visioneers - Ike's Mood I
10. Chet Faker - Gold
11. Macintosh Plus - リサフランク420 - 現代のコンピュー
12. Charles Bradley - Changes
13. Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real - Find Yourself
14. Michael Kiwanuka - Cold Little Heart (Live Session Video)
15. Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Live in 1988)
16. Leon Bridges - Coming Home

There are two playlists for everyone to enjoy. Well, not everyone since there are some divisive tracks and Joanna Newsom's voice and style is an acquired taste (but an AMAZING destination once you reach it).

If this thread garners interest and activity, I will put my notes in for each song. Most of them mean something or are connected to a memory for me. Plus, I have another mix I'll post, as well :)

Last edited:

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I listen to a lot of music and this is the only indie band I follow. I came them across randomly on YouTube by way of this song and my lofe was forever changed. I they they have blown up recently and probably don't even count as indie. But I would always brag that I was following them before rhey were famous.

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I hate that when I clicked on that to watch it, it says "Video Unavailable." The moment someone figures out how to break YouTube's hotlinking policy, the better off we all are. I'll click to go watch it on youtube, but I have to reload the page to do so, another flaw of their recent update. Thanks, Google.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that when I clicked on that to watch it, it says "Video Unavailable." The moment someone figures out how to break YouTube's hotlinking policy, the better off we all are. I'll click to go watch it on youtube, but I have to reload the page to do so, another flaw of their recent update. Thanks, Google.

Yea I am not sure why it won't embed properly. I tried a few different links/videos and it still won't work.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I think it has to do with monetized/copyrighted content. Not all embedded videos do it.

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Yea I am not sure why it won't embed properly. I tried a few different links/videos and it still won't work.

I think it's their new API or whatever. The look of the error is different than it is used to be. It used to say "This video is unavailable" but would still have the title on the top and you could click it to take you to YouTube. This has less functionality. Really stupid and annoying.

The Wrens are amazing.

Boys You Won't Remember was on one of the mix cds I received back in the day from someone. Loved them since then. Good choice.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many moons ago, I used to run annual mix exchanges on a forum that most of us used to frequent. These were mostly successful affairs measuring by both participation level and quality workmanship. Over a 10-year period or so, I received a few dozen CDs with songs on them that I had never previously experienced which then became some of my favorites EVER. Some of these tracks have play counts in the hundreds on my iTunes, Google Play Music, and other media organizers that I use.

The other facet of the mix exchange that I really enjoyed was that I would usually rope each participant into doing track-by-track reviews of the mixes they would get from other participants. I would love hearing that people loved or hated certain tracks I would include. It gave me a lot of insight into tastes, and sometimes validation for including some offbeat tracks here and there.

I run into new music here and there on Pandora nowadays, but it seems like the further along I get into my Pandora stations, the more often I hear the same "thumbed-up" tracks before hearing anything new.

Well, I want to give back again, and I want to receive, as well!

This thread is for sharing playlists, individual tracks, Youtube videos, and the like amongst like-minded music lovers. I am not into Pop music, nor hip-hop or country. In fact, many of my favorite tracks are decidedly down-tempo affairs, but I would love to share what I have and in turn receive whatever you lovely posters are willing to share with the rest of us. I presume most people will not have heard most of the tracks that I share, but even if you do, it may be fun to rediscover songs you haven't listened to in a while, or a live version of a studio track that you love.

Not sure how the admins feel about uploading zip files of mixes, but in lieu of that, I have made YouTube playlists of songs that I love, organized with care to flow well thematically. If I were to be able to share my uploads, the files would be properly balanced for volume and without the fat that some videos introduce in the form of intros/outros/etc.

Enough talk. This isn't a thread for the spoken word, after all:

Indie Women (YouTube Playlist)

1. Emiliana Torrini - Birds
2. Joanna Newsom - Emily
3. Mirah - Nobody Has to Stay
4. Aimee Mann - Little Tornado
5. Joanna Newsom - Divers
6. Mount Moriah - The Letting Go
7. Alabama Shakes - This Feeling
8. Joanna Newsom - '81 (Live on Letterman)
9. K.D. Lang - I Dream of Spring (Live)
10. Alela Diane - Age Old Blue
11. Cat Power - Maybe Not
12. Vashti Bunyan - Train Song
13. Neko Case - Deep Red Bells

Indie, then Instrumentals Heading Towards Songs with R&B Inspirations (YouTube Playlist)

1. Talk Talk - Ascension Day
2. Dr. Dog - The World May Never Know
3. The Black Keys - You're the One
4. Neutral Milk Hotel - Three Peaches
5. Bahamas - So Free
6. The Black Keys - Too Afraid to Love You (Live)
7. Washed Out - Feel It All Around
8. Air - Le Voyage de Penelope
9. Visioneers - Ike's Mood I
10. Chet Faker - Gold
11. Macintosh Plus - リサフランク420 - 現代のコンピュー
12. Charles Bradley - Changes
13. Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real - Find Yourself
14. Michael Kiwanuka - Cold Little Heart (Live Session Video)
15. Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Live in 1988)
16. Leon Bridges - Coming Home

There are two playlists for everyone to enjoy. Well, not everyone since there are some divisive tracks and Joanna Newsom's voice and style is an acquired taste (but an AMAZING destination once you reach it).

If this thread garners interest and activity, I will put my notes in for each song. Most of them mean something or are connected to a memory for me. Plus, I have another mix I'll post, as well :)

Your indie women playlist is awesome. Emiliana Torrini has been one of my favorite artists since I first heard her 1999 album, Love In The Time of Science.

Speaking of indie women, here is someone I recently discovered when her latest album dropped. She caught my attention because of the obvious comparison to Kate Bush.

EOS-HDC

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tijuana, B.C, Mexico
I logged in just to say that I love Le Voyage de Penelope...

And since I'm here already I recommend Zero 7... Here's a song:
Distractions

I'm gonna start working on a short list to share on Monday, so until then nice weekend.

Deleted member 40797

Banned
Mar 8, 2018

This would not be nearly as frustrating if there was a menu option to open the video in a new tab, instead of merely copying the video URL.

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Your indie women playlist is awesome. Emiliana Torrini has been one of my favorite artists since I first heard her 1999 album, Love In The Time of Science.

Speaking of indie women, here is someone I recently discovered when her latest album dropped. She caught my attention because of the obvious comparison to Kate Bush.

Thanks! Some of your old mix CDs you sent me definitely went into heavy rotation. :)

Can't wait to check this out, anyone that gets compared to Kate Bush is okay with me (Joanna Newsom, anyone? :)

I logged in just to say that I love Le Voyage de Penelope...

And since I'm here already I recommend Zero 7... Here's a song:
Distractions

I'm gonna start working on a short list to share on Monday, so until then nice weekend.

I agree, it's a great song! Fantastic on a good set of headphones, especially. Can't wait for your contributions!

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Some of your old mix CDs you sent me definitely went into heavy rotation. :)

Can't wait to check this out, anyone that gets compared to Kate Bush is okay with me (Joanna Newsom, anyone? :)

Aw, that makes me so happy to hear.

Man, you know, I was just thinking about this the other day. I really missed our mix CD exchanges back in the day and I was trying to find some of those old discs. I recently befriended someone who went to Harvard to study music and he has exposed me to some really experimental stuff. It's been quite intense but also very intimate.

I do exchange a lot of playlists on Spotify now with a few close friends. I still take pride in how a playlist is constructed and the way each song transitions. Here is one I just made recently that felt perfect for fall.

https://open.spotify.com/user/motorde64/playlist/4ipGCleHnn616d944vzfeR?si=xbcEFkCXQYmNPc5IIHEPTg

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Aw, that makes me so happy to hear.

Man, you know, I was just thinking about this the other day. I really missed our mix CD exchanges back in the day and I was trying to find some of those old discs. I recently befriended someone who went to Harvard to study music and he has exposed me to some really experimental stuff. It's been quite intense but also very intimate.

I do exchange a lot of playlists on Spotify now with a few close friends. I still take pride in how a playlist is constructed and the way each song transitions. Here is one I just made recently that felt perfect for fall.

https://open.spotify.com/user/motorde64/playlist/4ipGCleHnn616d944vzfeR?si=xbcEFkCXQYmNPc5IIHEPTg

I only recognize 3 tracks on there, so this is going to be a good one! Things We Lost in the Fire is one of my favorite old Low albums, Bought their new album and still haven't been able to listen to it yet, lol

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
slederbodies is pretty great. I really dig the weekly discovery playlist on Spotify, or I'd never find these artists.

slenderbodies - one of us

anemone

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Indie Stuff Mostly

1. Interpol - Rest My Chemistry
2. Two Door Cinema Club - What You Know
3. Dr. Dog - Heart It Races
4. Margot and the Nuclear So and So's - Broad Ripple is Burning (acoustic)
5. Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks (Live on Letterman)
6. Damien Jurado - Sheets
7. Adem - Cut
8. The Shins - Sleeping Lessons
9. Bahamas - My Love
10. Father John Misty - Real Love Baby
11. Mac Demarco - Chamber of Reflection
12. MGMT - Little Dark Age
13. The Black Keys - The Only One
14. Gotye - Hearts a Mess
15. BØRNS - Clouds
16. Lord Huron - The Night We Met
17. Andy Shauf - Wendell Walker (Live Acoustic)

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
You should add Courtney Barnett and Mitski to your playlists.

Also check out Cuco

And Yaeji

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
You'll probably like Whitney as well. I think they're an awesome kinda 60s rock inspired band.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I'd make a new summer mix cd for years upon years for when me and my friends would go down to my uncles beach house for a week. Then I started to make some winter mix cds. I did it every year for I think a decade. I'll have to see if I can find them and make a playlist of some of em on youtube. I'd often put in my own samples of things for some tracks, so that effect would be lost but I'd seriously take months finding the perfect songs and spend hours finding the perfect flow for each song. They were quite eclectic, featuring all kinds of genres. If I can't find any of them, maybe I'll make a modern one and share it here!

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston

Midair Thief evokes old Grizzly Bear a la Yellow House but lots more is going on. I hear something new every time I listen through

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I just learned of this after she was a guest on the latest Intercepted podcast. One woman, Katherine Paul, plays all of the instruments on the album and it's quite good. She describes the first track, Soft Stud, as a queer anthem.
Pitchfork review said:
Written as her loved ones protested at Standing Rock, during the dissolution of a queer romance, and after the death of a beloved mentor, Katherine Paul's debut is a work of intersectional mourning.

Black Belt Eagle Scout - Mother Of My Children: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLb94Zw9KCu-eNnnAgK81Jm9M3q0hA5lKQ

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I'd make a new summer mix cd for years upon years for when me and my friends would go down to my uncles beach house for a week. Then I started to make some winter mix cds. I did it every year for I think a decade. I'll have to see if I can find them and make a playlist of some of em on youtube. I'd often put in my own samples of things for some tracks, so that effect would be lost but I'd seriously take months finding the perfect songs and spend hours finding the perfect flow for each song. They were quite eclectic, featuring all kinds of genres. If I can't find any of them, maybe I'll make a modern one and share it here!

Love the history. That is exactly what I loved about mix - making. My old mixes had every genre in them, but still had this perfect flow, too. I spent many sleepless night finding the perfect rhythm.

It's Alan Sparhawk's least favorite album. It was the first thing they did after his complete mental breakdown, and consequently he thinks they played it too safe on the album.

That explains it, but there are 3 of their top 10 songs ever, i reckon, on C'mon, and the warm reverb of the church sounds so great on a quality setup.

Damn you Sparhawk! :P

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I tried a few songs and didn't find anything I liked. Any songs you would recommend in particular? None of it was bad, but nothing I heard jived with me. I don't even like Conor Oberst, but he was the best part of her song "Would You Rather". :(

Her music is a little too sleepy for me to really like her, but "Motion Sickness" is IMO her best song.

Her career trajectory is so odd. She was on an Apple commercial before she had even released an LP, then she was working with Ryan Adams and Conor Oberst, and now she's in an indie rock supergroup with Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker. Like who gets a duet with Oberst on their debut album? Not to take away from her, "Alps" is a really great album just not exactly my cup of tea.

Lucy Dacus is great IMO. I think her first album is better than the one she released this year.

EOS-HDC

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tijuana, B.C, Mexico
I made a short playlist on YT, on the next I will mix languages since there are a lot of good bands out there.

Playlist:
Sol Seppy - 1 2
La barranca - Christine
Kaki King - Goby
Chalk Dinosaur - Solitude
jizue - shiori
Simple is Good - Курт Кобейн
Sarah Blasko - Showstopper
All India Radio - Fall
Collen - Summer Water
Elijah Who - everything is quiet now

Some notes: I fucking love La Barranca and post music from them every chance I have. "...Until We Felt Red" is the only album from Kaki King I have ever listened, but I really like it. I recommend a full listen to the album "Fall" from All India Radio and "What the sea wants, the sea will have" from Sarah Blasko.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always love an excuse to show off my dude Moses Sumney.

God, the bass playing in this track is damn near erotic. Saw him live in Durham this summer and his voice was immaculate.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I make add songs I like to a playlist throughout the year- it's mostly indie shit. Anyone who has Apple Music can listen to it.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/i-like-dis-2018/pl.u-MDd3tJmP5yA

Otherwise, here is the list:

Francis and the Lights- Morning
The Tallest man on Earth- King of Spain
Hamilton Leithauser- In a Blackout
Dustin Tebbutt- Harvest
Good Luck Finding Iris- When it Rains
Chairlift- Bruises
Jungle- Happy Man
Parcels- Tieduprightnow
Young Fathers- In My View
Meg Myers- Numb
Mitski- Geyser
Billie Eilish- bellyache
Courtship- Love for Everyone
Elohim- Half Love
Kississippi- Cut Yr Teeth
Hippo Campus- Bambi
Bat for Lashes- Daniel
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats- You Worry Me
Anderson .Paak- 'Til It's Over
Courtney Barnett- Need a Little Time
Claire- 4EVER
Jose Gonzalez- Teardrop
Manchester Orchestra- The Gold
James Blake- Don't Miss It
HYUKOH- Love Ya!
Moddi- Punk Prayer

Here's last years playlist if you're interested:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/i-like-dis-2017/pl.u-pMpbsxgR98W

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the contributions everyone! Going to have a busy next few nights listening to these!

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Here is one I have been listening to a lot lately:

Ben Howard - Oats in the Water