• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
God dam is she freaking good. What a performance.Just look at all the different emotions she conveys in just this one scene. Anger, Guilt, Disgust, Sadness etc.. She is just masterful and elevates the movie from good to great.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Was convinced when I first saw it that it would nab her a nomination. Sucks that it didn't.

Oct 30, 2017
Toni Collette is cut from the Frances McDormand cloth. Constantly impressive. Her first visit to the grief therapy group is also something else.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Years of experience playing a mother in dysfunctional families. Just watched this last night, she was brilliant. Scariest movie I have ever seen, hands down. I have never been so tense and god damn uncomfortable in my life.

The scene you posted and

When Peter(?) is laying in bed and she goes outside to see Charli's body and the scenes that follow it with her writhing.

It's the strength of how REAL the family feels, Annie's grief in particular feels so real and genuine throughout the movie, that pulls everything else in in terms of it being uncomfortable, scary and heartbreaking. It feels like when you go to a friends house and there's an argument about homework or something and it's super fucking awkward, but dialed up by 100

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
She was great in United States of Tara a few years back. Played a number of different personalities very convincingly.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
She was amazing in that movie, finally watched it this weekend and she was outstanding...thought Gabriel Byrne was awesome too.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't really care for the movie very much, but she was phenomenal. In the hands of an actress not her caliber (along with the rest of the cast) this movie could have come out *really* poorly. It's a good script, but had the acting suffered or not carried weight the plot could have come across as wicker man levels of dumb.

Even though I didn't care for it, it was a master-class in film making. I think of the movie as a trapeze working without a net that came out well.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I've loved her ever since In her Shoes. I know, whatever. I liked her.

This movie though, her performance was out of the park. I can see why she wanted this movie made. Shame she won't be in the possible sequel.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Her acting in that movie was amazing. Shame that it was in a genre of movie that doesn't win awards for great acting.

Nov 7, 2017
The "next morning" scene was just harrowing, it was scary in how realistic it was.
The son being unable to deal with it and just going to bed hoping it would all go away was just... ugh. Great movie.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The fact that this got absolutely no nominations just proves that horror is still seen as a lesser genre. I'm reminded of how Siskel and Ebert legit tried to ban horror movies from being made in the 80s

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Don't remind me. I'm still irked that her performance was one of the best in horror history, yet she gets snubbed because the academy thumbs their noses at horror (except for Get Out).

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
That movie is fucking weird, duders. She made me feel all sorts of uncomfortable while watching it. Very impressive stuff.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, amazing scene. And I was hoping the son would go there...and he did....lol.

Amazing movie.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When Peter(?) is laying in bed and she goes outside to see Charli's body and the scenes that follow it with her writhing.

That fucking scene ruined me and I consider myself pretty damn case-hardened in regards to the genre.

The abject shock on his face and the way he is so emotionally devastated just drips with authenticity. The notion of him just laying in his bed all night waiting for an adult to make the discovery and take the reigns was so painfully real.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Well i just read the wikipedia page for this movie and i'm gonna go fucking sleep right now goddamn.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Loved the movie, but I don't think I could ever watch it again because it's emotionally exhausting and devastating.

She is fantastic

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
She is phenomenal in the role. Absolutely deserved an Oscar nom. Fuck the Academy. Bunch of old assholes who refuse to acknowledge horror films. No disrespect but man she crushes the other actresses who actually got the nom for their performances.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was such an amazing scene. Though it made the Dad seem even more out of place in the movie.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still not sure about the ending, but I loved the acting in that movie. Toni especially was excellent in her role.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
A later scene with less of "performance" but more of just like... her body language and visual acting ability on display -
When she is doing the seance for the first time and manages to summon her daughter into her body - for that brief moment when the lights dim and she's just standing there with this.... HORRIFIED... look on her face before she starts talking with her daughters voice???

Brilliant stuff. Girl is crrraaaaazy good in that flick.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
She's been amazing since Muriel's Wedding.

Incredible range.
33Cp.gif

Yeah true that, I think she is great because she doesn't care if she comes across as unflattering when conveying emotions, which is true to real life. Sometimes you see "strong" acting but it comes across as too dignified or controlled.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
As good as Heriditary is, it could have been a legit disaster without this incredible performance at its core. That's how much of a tightrope walk the film is.

Byrne is fantastic as well. Less crucial, but fantastic.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the movie, but I don't think I could ever watch it again because it's emotionally exhausting and devastating.
Agreed but I can never watch it again. It's like poking at a raw nerve over and over again.
It's probably one of the few movies that have had that effect on me, but yep. Never again. I actually felt relief when things went explicitly supernatural towards the end.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
She deserves ALL the fucking awards for this role. Incredible performance in an incredible film.

All the awards you cowards!

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Yep

The fact that she received no nominations for this role just tells me there is no way people saw this movie in the academy.

That's the only explanation otherwise they would just give her the statue today

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the more i think on it, the more apparent her performance in hereditary was better than the movie itself.

Allstar

Feb 9, 2019
I was shocked when she struggled finding a footing with critics circles either which I was seriously hoping for. What a shame.