• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Lmao, the Oscars never give a shit about horror movies.

Hereditary is fantastic. Only dumb part is when teenagers are baking cookies at a fucking house party.
Didn't bother me one bit. People do bonkers shit at parties; doesn't always make the most sense it's just about doing fun stuff together, ya know. Attend more parties and maybe you'd notice how weird stuff gets sometimes.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
One of the best performances I've seen. She deserved an award for that. It's funny but to me I thought the horror part of the movie didn't really work. I was much more interested in the family dynamics and how they handled the whole situation.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I remember watching that scene with my wife and brother in law and we went like "goddamn, this is some heavy shit, this actor is phenomenal"
I really loved the movie in general, one of the very few horror movies that made me feel completely uneasy and shocked at some of the things that happen in that movie. You expect it to go one way and the movie does circles around your head until you stop pretending to know what's going on and just enjoy the ride.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I said before that if you strip away all the horror and mystery you'd still be left with a worthy film about what grief can do families. Collette's stellar performance is the driving force behind that. Terrific actor.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
That scene is great and the group support scene she also is amazing in.
She was even good in her side role in Velvet Buzzsaw.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That fucking scene ruined me and I consider myself pretty damn case-hardened in regards to the genre.

The abject shock on his face and the way he is so emotionally devastated just drips with authenticity. The notion of him just laying in his bed all night waiting for an adult to make the discovery and take the reigns was so painfully real.
Yep, Collette was so fucking good that she overshadows how damn good Alex Wolff was.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Best movie of 2018. She was riveting, Alex Wolff was phenomenal, it was pretty much a perfect horror movie. I know people are iffy on the third act, but it's weird af tonally and I love it.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Her performance in Hereditary was the best performance of any actress or actor in the past ten years. She is unbelievably good. But yeah fuck Oscars lol.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I thought this was going to be one of those films that gets all the 'ran out of the cinema' pre release nonsense and ends up being shit to decent. I knew it didn't pull its punches from the cinema in Aus showing the trailer to a load of kids news, but I wasn't expecting the slow burns and intense long takes. It reminds me of Prisoners in that the camera work alone is enough to get me on edge. The scene in the OP blew my mind but it was follwing the brother round after the party and staying with him as mum made the discovery that's giving me chills just fucking typing it out lol
It was such a unique way of not showing us mum's reaction. We didn't need to. We all saw her in our heads as we heard the chatter, the footsteps... the door. And we didn't need that moment of drama. We see her doubled up screaming, unconsolable, the shift in tone gripping. We all knew the party was a bad idea. She knew.

I have my issues with the subplot. I would like to have seen the film as just the family dealing with life with the little girl, and the tragedy. The cast were all good and Toni Collette completely owned the role.

It was a very effective horror that's become so much more since the credits rolled. I must watch it again!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, she's incredible. The scenes of her grieving could have easily been over-the-top but she makes every second of it feel real. That 20 minute section in the middle of the film where the turn happens is the most memorable thing I saw all year.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
It was one of those rare moments where I forgot I was watching a movie and it felt like I was sitting at the dinner table during this very uncomfortable family moment. She was amazing in the movie, but that occult and demon worship stuff is too unsettling for me to ever watch the movie again.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
That scene reminds me of the dinner scene in Brother with Tobey. Genuinely uncomfortable and believable family drama.

I want her back in their next film as well.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah she's someone they can't ignore for long.
Simply too good at her job.
Haven't seen this movie yet though.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Best movie of 2018 and she has the strongest scenes of her career in this movie. The movie is just an elegant dessert for the horror genre.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't bother me one bit. People do bonkers shit at parties; doesn't always make the most sense it's just about doing fun stuff together, ya know. Attend more parties and maybe you'd notice how weird stuff gets sometimes.
I'll be honest, haven't attended many parties like that.
giphy.gif

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Watching that scene I felt 10 years old. Toni Collette was MY mom for a minute. She transported me back to a headspace from decades ago. This is a transcendent performance.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
She was amazing and yes she deserved at least a nomination for her performance in this. Her performance alone was something that got on your nerves and helped the constant tension the movie had.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
She is so damn good in every role she's in that I don't think I'd be able to pick a best role for her. It's incredible.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Years of experience playing a mother in dysfunctional families. Just watched this last night, she was brilliant. Scariest movie I have ever seen, hands down. I have never been so tense and god damn uncomfortable in my life.

The scene you posted and

When Peter(?) is laying in bed and she goes outside to see Charli's body and the scenes that follow it with her writhing.

It's the strength of how REAL the family feels, Annie's grief in particular feels so real and genuine throughout the movie, that pulls everything else in in terms of it being uncomfortable, scary and heartbreaking. It feels like when you go to a friends house and there's an argument about homework or something and it's super fucking awkward, but dialed up by 100
Yeah when she was fucking wailing on the ground, jesus. Just completely heartbreaking and real. Powerful performance. I love this move but I'm not sure if I want to see it again. Really hit me hard lmao.