• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Academy Confirms Four Oscar Presentations Set for Commercial Breaks
Variety has confirmed that four Oscars will be presented during commercial breaks of the 91st Academy Awards.

The awards will be best cinematography, film editing, live action short and makeup and hairstyling. The winning speeches will be edited into a package to be aired later in the telecast.

https://variety.com/2019/film/award...tations-set-for-commercial-breaks-1203136380/

How utterly absurd, two of the most important elements in film-making, are apparently not important at all.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The Academy don't give a shit about technical awards, glad they're being up front about it now.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
giphy.gif

What a disgrace.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Well at least we got see Richard Deakins finally win last year, wonder what dipshit skit they have planned to take its place.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Poor Alfonso Cuarón. They probably expect him to win Best Director anyway which is why they are skipping Best Cinematography. They should just cut the pointless montages and tributes instead.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess they're only televising awards where they can get famous or well known people on the stage to accept. I kind of understand how that makes sense to them.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
They don't have a host, but still don't have enough time to air all the categories.
Dumb.
This is basically a middle finger to the contestants in those categories. SMH

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta make more time for the intro and all those unfunny jokes that pad the run time instead of filling it with actual awards.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that shit like this happens when we still have the Best Original Song category (and the slew of corresponding performances) is a disgrace.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Internet - "These idiots barely pay enough attention to pick the basic categories right!"

Same Internet - "OMG A DISGRACE that the choice these idiots make for technical categories they defintiely have no clue about isn't aired!"

Technosteve

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alfonso Cuarón ("Roma")
Robbie Ryan ("The Favourite")
Matthew Libatique ("A Star is Born")
Caleb Deschanel ("Never Look Away")
Lukasz Zal ("Cold War")

i haven't seen any of these films weak year?

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Best Editing and Cinematography are fucked off yet moneyhatted waste of time garbage like Best Animation and Best Original Song stay. Stay losing, Awards shows.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Alfonso Cuarón ("Roma")
Robbie Ryan ("The Favourite")
Matthew Libatique ("A Star is Born")
Caleb Deschanel ("Never Look Away")
Lukasz Zal ("Cold War")

i haven't seen any of these films weak year?

Roma, The Favourite and Cold War all look beautiful so not really. Might be the first year in a long while neither Lubezki or Deakins were nominated.

Also heard that all the categories that they're skipping happen to have no Disney nominees (Disney owns the broadcaster AbC correct?)

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
They need to trim down the ridiculous running time of the oscars. This is not the way to do that.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
WTF! Cinematography is one of the most important awards. Skip those long ass music acts or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Editing is one of the best predictors of what wins Best picture.

And, if they cut live action shorts, why not animated shorts? Oh, that's right, Disney...

As someone who enjoys the Oscars and watches it every year, I have never been this decidedly disappointed and uninterested in the event. What a mess.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Most people I know don't care about the awards one bit. The ones that do... are mostly interested in best picture, actor/actress, and director. Or they're just watching it for the outfits/drama.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Works for me. The Oscars are way too long as it is and the average viewer, who this forum is not, doesn't care about things where they can't see their Stars, hear a song, see a dance, be entertained.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody is going to win editing, and they don't want to become an instant meme online.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
We all know without editing and cinematography Lawrence of Arabia would have been just as good.