• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
The Oscars makes me think of baseball games. There's this general consensus that they run way too long and people don't want to watch, but the trouble is that no matter what you try to do to shorten it, you're gonna piss of a significant portion of the viewers who've stuck with you.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Catering to people who don't like watching the Academy Awards is the dumbest thing imaginable.

Works for me. The Oscars are way too long as it is and the average viewer, who this forum is not, doesn't care about things where they can't see their Stars, hear a song, see a dance, be entertained.

It's the highest-rated non-sporting event in America. It's doing just fine with "casual viewers".

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's a hard out for me then. I'd totally take part in a boycott campaign over this; those two awards are for essential parts of filmmaking, and deserve the exposure as much if not more than the rest of them.

Cut the stage antics, honor the craft.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Kinda shocked they didn't relegate the sound awards as most people can't even tell the difference lmao. People actually care about Cinematography and Film Editing.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They should just do the show, and release and edited won version online or a broadcast off night.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
People are surprised at this? Like the Oscars is actually about rewarding well made films?

Oct 25, 2017
You would think that without a host, they'd save 10 minutes at the opening due to a lack of monologue. You think they'd save another 10 minutes by not having a mid-show skit like when they brought in the tour bus a few years ago. And more. Yet this is the year they claim to be doing it because of time.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gives them plenty of time to pander to the public. Any Disney-related movies playing soon they can show up at like last year?

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I was already not watching because the Oscars have become atrocious over the years and these last few years have been ridiculously easy to skip. This is just a disrespectful decision on their part, no other way to say it

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
What the absolute fuck? That's appalling disrespectful. You don't have footage without a cinematographer, and editors bring the story to life, it's one hell of a job. (The industry needs to spend less time romanticizing directors and more time appreciating editors in general anyway.)

What. The. Fuck.

Wtf? Those are two of the most important aspects of any given film.

Exactly this.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
SAGs and BAFTAs matter more at this point. Oscars are the movie Grammys at this point.

3 hour show with no host and still have to skip shit. Fuck off

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I was already losing interest in the Oscars but this year really finalized my lack of interest. Between the multitude of weird nominations and the disregard categories as key as editing and cinematography, I really don't care any more.

I have often disagreed with a lot of different aspects of the Oscars, but even then, it felt like it was worth checking out? But now, I don't really see the appeal.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Maybe throw in a category that people care about instead. Like Best Kiss! Or Best Product Placement presented by Doritos Mountain Dew!

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This is the stupidest decision in the world.

You're literally an awards ceremony. You have one job. First and foremost present awards. How fucking hard is that? You'd literally cut everything else out of a broadcast before you cut out the actual reason the ceremony exists.

Likewise, I'm not necessarily tapped into the public consciousness of America, but I'm pretty sure the most enjoyable and exciting part of the Oscars for most people is the actual reveal of awards. It's the revolting, masturbatory, paint-drying shlock that takes place between the presentations that sends people to sleep. Make the whole fucking thing shorter by all means, but the last thing you should be doing is cutting out the actual function of the ceremony what the fuck.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda shocked they didn't relegate the sound awards as most people can't even tell the difference lmao. People actually care about Cinematography and Film Editing.
I was surprised as well, but then I realized Black Panther is nominated for those and Disney/ABC ain't skipping their own possible awards. It's probably also why Live Action Shorts isn't going to be broadcast, but Animated Shorts is.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Here's another thing: I personally think the entire Academy Awards are a joke - not just the ceremony itself but the films that are often picked as winners. But here's the thing: as far as I can tell, most people don't: most people seem to still hold the Oscars in extremely high esteem. If your film has won an academy award, it's still slapped all over the place in marketing, in reviews all the way down to regular folk talking chaf. "Hey did you see that film last week? It won Best Picture, so I wanna check it out."

So regardless of what I think, the Academy Awards actually aren't irrelevant at all, even if the ceremony itself isn't getting good ratings. Which tells me it's not a sinking ship - they just have to recalibrate how they're presenting these things. Taking emphasis and esteem away from the awards themselves but keeping all the rest of the self-congratulatory crap is the worst fucking thing you could do in this regard. Strip it back, change the entire tone and format if necessary. Put it on twitch and YouTube if it needs a new platform to bring in viewers. But don't reduce the actual prestige of winning an academy award. It's literally what you're hanging onto and it still exists in the public consciousness.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I was surprised as well, but then I realized Black Panther is nominated for those and Disney/ABC ain't skipping their own possible awards. It's probably also why Live Action Shorts isn't going to be broadcast, but Animated Shorts is.

That one's kind of a fucking giveaway.

Disney gaining an ever ncreasing share over the media landscape is not gonna be fun

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The fuck? Skip costuming. Or the two sound awards that nobody knows which is which.

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
The Oscars trying to become populist has been a thing since 2009 when they expanded the best picture category. This is just a sad natural progression for them. Cinematography is my favorite category after director and picture, sigh.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's wild that the president behind these changes is a cinematographer. He's worked with Lawrence Kasdan, Paul Scrader, Errol Moris, Walter Hill, Johnthan Demme. Shouldn't he understand how important cinematography is to filmmamking? When Roger Deakins finally won would be have preferred for it to be off-air?

Do the people running this show even LIKE the Oscars???

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This is some MASSIVE bullshit considering they decided to have full performances of all of the song nominees.

Another reason why the Oscars are a joke. Continuing to spiral themselves into irrelevance.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
So not only the worst nominees in recent memory but also the fewest awards.

And of all the film awards they choose to cut, they choose one about filming.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

Useless Fucking Skit - over 6 minutes

Roger Deakins finally wins his fucking oscar - 3 minutes.

Which one is really more important, Academy. Fuck you

That's dumb. Editing and cinematography deserve recognition.
Given this year's batch of editing nominees, this may be about the only year where keeping them off the air would be a benefit! But in general and certainly for the cinematography category this year, not having them on screen for the rest of the world to see their achievements rewarded is a big old pile of horse shit.