• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess soon it'll be just about 4 Awards (best film, best director, best actor, best actress), and then multiple comedy, musical, dance and singing numbers, vaguely related to films.
Or not at all.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how they could logically omit any categories before the shorts. Like ???

(I know they "volunteered")

less

Oct 25, 2017
What a disgrace. Cinematography is legit one of the most important awards and Editing is up there as well.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Useless Fucking Skit - over 6 minutes

Roger Deakins finally wins his fucking oscar - 3 minutes.

Which one is really more important, Academy. Fuck you

Even the 3min clip has 1min of useless gag to kick it off. It literally takes 2min to present an award, the thing that everyone's here to actually see, and we can't make time for it? This is like the NFL saying "Hmmm, the superbowl goes for too long. Make the match time 15min shorter but keep the half time show and the commercials the same length." It makes absolutely no sense even taking into account the obviously cynical, moneymaking approach to broadcasts.

Also as a sidenote, why do they just have single frames for the films nominated for Best Cinematography? You're literally handing out awards for the most beautiful films of the year and you're not gonna run footage of as many jawdropping, moving shots as possible?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Two of the things that make films good, apparently aren't the things that make films popular or make the executives all the money, ergo they're not important.

It's well known how a film can be made shit by only a bad edit. But most of my favorite films of the last few years have been lookers... that "every frame a painting" thing that's, you know... cinematography.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Even the 3min clip has 1min of useless gag to kick it off. It literally takes 2min to present an award, the thing that everyone's here to actually see, and we can't make time for it? This is like the NFL saying "Hmmm, the superbowl goes for too long. Make the match time 15min shorter but keep the half time show and the commercials the same length." It makes absolutely no sense even taking into account the obviously cynical, moneymaking approach to broadcasts.

Also as a sidenote, why do they just have single frames for the films nominated for Best Cinematography? You're literally handing out awards for the most beautiful films of the year and you're not gonna run footage of as many jawdropping, moving shots as possible?

Seriously. How about 10 seconds to tell me about each of the nominees then give out the award. Cut the damn banter.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
It is highly likely that the majority of viewers of Oscars on TV really don't know what cinematorgraphy or editing even is, sadly as it may be. That's probably why they decided to do this.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
It is highly likely that the majority of viewers of Oscars on TV really don't know what cinematorgraphy or editing even is, sadly as it may be. That's probably why they decided to do this.

Then why have an award show? Most people who watch the superbowl arent huge football fans, but they dont cut out the 3rd quarter to make the halftime show longer.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

But these are some of the most essential elements of great film making ever. ESPECIALLY editing.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
instead of cutting musical numbers and self congratulatory montages they cut these awards. Still not going to watch it. hope the ratings keep on cratering.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I can imagine the Academy being all like: 'You fuckers didn't like out popular movie category? That's fine, we'll remove more instead. Fuck off".

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
People don't know what make up is. Sure. Anything else you don't know?
I guess for makeup, it's deemed not interesting enough, for whatever reason. I don't know what to think. I don't approve of the direction they are going, but I'm guessing they are trying to chase the ratings, but they are alientaing more and more of the core film-buff audience.

Jan 10, 2018
I guess for makeup, it's deemed not interesting enough, for whatever reason. I don't know what to think. I don't approve of the direction they are going, but I'm guessing they are trying to chase the ratings, but they are alientaing more and more of the core film-buff audience.

It is a noticeable coincidence that none of the kicked categories have a Disney nominee.

Animated short does.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

What a disgrace.

Don't the game awards routinely present awards off-screen and before the actual airing?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Imagine caring about the Oscars at all.

Imagine living that life.
After I learnt that the Oscars are not about the best of the best, but actually about inviting the jury to all sorts of events that promote the movie so that they feel appreciated and then vote for you, I changed from caring very little to caring nothing.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight, an award show celebrating everything about film is cutting off awards while we get shitty skits.....yeah alright. Had this happened last year when Roger Deakins won I would have been pissed.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, just go ahead and cut out awards for what's among the most essential aspects of filmmaking.

Disgraceful.