• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, what's really weird about this is that they'd cut editing and cinematography but not sound editing and sound mixing, aka the categories no one outside the film business understands being different? ASCAP the superior guild in Hollywood confirmed.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
So two of the most important aspects of film are just not important enough. Nice. Why don't we just get rid of anything good as just have "best product placement"already

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The two things that uhhhh make a movie? Even the actual fucking Oscars would be unwatchable without those two roles!

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
At first I thought it wasn't that big of a deal but then I read GDT tweet

And actually yeah. It's true. This fucking sucks.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
The Academy is trash. At this point they're doing a disservice to the medium as a whole. To think we give them as much cultural cachet as we do is a shame. They don't deserve it. From the nominations, to their voting, to this sort of bullshit. They're past it as an institution. The sooner they're irrelevant, the better.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The audience they're trying to attract actively doesn't give a shit about anything but the acting awards, Best Picture, and the performances and dumbass skits. It's why stupid shit like Best Popular Film is even floated to begin with. And with how little time the technical awards get, it's even less surprising.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
What's film without a camera?

Also, do any of these categories have Disney films in them? 🤔🤔🤔

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The academy wants to celebrate pop relevance, not technical excellence coming from the production side. Fuck them.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this does is say that Hollywood gives less of a fuck about the amazing technical achievements and possibilities of it's principle art form by the day.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Sure Academy, cut the two awards that are for essential parts of film making. No no, don't cut out the multiple songs, or the obnoxious amount of commercials, but the important technical awards.
Might as well just mail a middle finger to cinematographers and editors as compensation.

Last edited:

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely farcical.

Editing and Cinematography are absolutely integral elements to film. For a ceremony that's meant to honour film it sure is leaving out a massive part of the creation process.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I'm super biased because I'm an editor by trade, but this is absurdly stupid. Who is this intended to satisfy?

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Didn't they add a most popular film category? If they are going to do MTV Teen Choice Award might as well fuck the technical.

This is what happens when you let Disney own the whole film industry and also run the Oscar show. The merger is not even finalized.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I get needing to pay the bills amid the dwindling popularity of the Oscars, but boy, you don't get there by quadrupling down on the vapid spectacle in what should be a celebration of the industry (which is naive in itself).

These Oscars are messy.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently they do intend to film and then edit these speeches to appear later in the broadcast. There's some kind of irony there.

One of the things they noted is they will focus on removing the winners' walk to the stage. The extra irony being of course that these categories have nominees usually relegated to the very back already, which is why their walk to the stage can be especially long.

Disney, because they aren't nominated in any of those categories.

Guess so.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

What a disgrace.

i-really-hate-that-man-gif-5.gif

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, what's really weird about this is that they'd cut editing and cinematography but not sound editing and sound mixing, aka the categories no one outside the film business understands being different? ASCAP the superior guild in Hollywood confirmed.

It's not weird when you realized Black Panther is nominated for both of these, but none of Disney films got nominated for neither editing nor cinematography. They couldn't have made it any more obvious when you couple it with live action short film got cut too and animated short remains in.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
It's not weird when you realized Black Panther is nominated for both of these, but none of Disney films got nominated for neither editing nor cinematography. They couldn't have made it any more obvious when you couple it with live action short film got cut too and animated short remains in.

Mother fucker!

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not watching this year. It not only seems like a huge train wreck, but they are also cutting key categories. Also, notice how no Disney movie is in the run on any of those categories? ABC is ruining an already decadent show with their influence.

Kinda incredible how this gif has aged like fine wine.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Ridiculous considering how truly essential editing and cinematography are to what films are to begin with. But the Oscars have always been this way.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda incredible how this gif has aged like fine wine.

It would work better if it was someone who made a game that actually stood up to even C-list film storytelling, of course. And maybe not on a giant commercial that happens to use awards as an excuse to run new ads people want to watch. The Oscars aren't quite at the point where they're premiering the new Star Wars trailer to pull in viewers. Yet.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would work better if it was someone who made a game that actually stood up to even C-list film storytelling, of course. And maybe not on a giant commercial that happens to use awards as an excuse to run new ads people want to watch. The Oscars aren't quite at the point where they're premiering the new Star Wars trailer to pull in viewers. Yet.
Oh, I'm totally with you on that one. What I meant was the message of the gif itself, the FUCK THE OSCARS part. I have a terrible opinion about Fares' abilities as a storyteller and about The Game Awards. I wish that gif had Meryl Streep saying that shit or something, but it is what it is.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Is it gonna be on twitch? If not, how are you gonna get the KIDZ™ & millenials® to watch it?

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Why do they even want to appeal to a mass audience? It's supposed to be an awards ceremony for the film industry. It's only held once a year anyway so it's not like they need high ratings to generate revenue or to create buzz for Hollywood in general. Why not just do the show they want to do and not focus on ratings or creating a good show for the TV audience?