• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Two of the most important aspects in making a good movie. How many movies have been ruined by bad editing for example

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand this choice, the nominees on those categories arent celebrities the public has interest in seeing

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
The hilarious / saddest part is, this isn't a step in the right direction even if your goal is "we have to save the award ceremony as a commercial product".

The INEVITABLE end game, the only real solution, is separating the Oscar broadcast from linear TV. The sooner they do this, the better, the more interest they can hope to attract from film fans around the world, of all ages.

Linear TV will be the death of the Oscars, unless they cut away cleanly. Bringing the awards online, either through a streaming service, or preferrably, an open, non-subscription based platform, through the web, social media, and so on, will open up the awards to audience groups who can't even see the awards if they want to today.

You can present it in many ways. A full live show, sure, but also piecemeal, spread through many channels. The interest in film is not on the wane, but the interest in long linear TV broadcasts with commercial breaks IS. Get the show out where the film fans consume and interact content.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
If I made films I'd be a director but if not I'd want to be a cinematographer so this dissapointing. Roger Deakins is a capital A Artist who inspires and every nominated cinematographers work deserves to get highlighted.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Cut all the BS jokes and skits that aren't funny, and celebrate the people Jesus. And while you're at it, add some Stunt categories they are long overdue.

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
I watched most of the years' acclaimed movies in preparation of watching the Oscars for the first time in a while, but after seeing the dogshit nominees I'll just skip the whole thing instead.

Oct 29, 2017
Best cinematography is genuinely one of the most important awards.

Fucking America and your obsession with advertising, I'm not sure how you get through an entire football (the proper one) game without a commercial every time the ball goes out of play.

The annoying thing is that our broadcast cuts to presenters when you're doing adverts.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
These are among the most important awards... Looks like I am skipping the live broadcast this year.

Cuaron weighs in:

In the history of CINEMA, masterpieces have existed without sound, without color, without a story, without actors and without music. No one single film has ever existed without CINEMAtography and without editing.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
The Oscars have always been more about the famous people and the "glamour" than the technical side of filmmaking.
This is not surprising in the least, just disappointing.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Best cinematography is genuinely one of the most important awards.

Fucking America and your obsession with advertising, I'm not sure how you get through an entire football (the proper one) game without a commercial every time the ball goes out of play.

The annoying thing is that our broadcast cuts to presenters when you're doing adverts.
Commercials are maddening and the worst part is that this was definitely done to placate ABC and by extension Disney's want for more exposure. None of the categories cut have any Disney related movie attached to them (maybe a Fox picture or two, but 🤷‍♂️) so they basically blew off the labor behind the movies so they could promote Captain Marvel and Chevrolets all night.

If I were Cuaron, I'd boycott. Fuck em.

Oct 29, 2017
Commercials are maddening and the worst part is that this was definitely done to placate ABC and by extension Disney's want for more exposure. None of the categories cut have any Disney related movie attached to them (maybe a Fox picture or two, but 🤷‍♂️) so they basically blew off the labor behind the movies so they could promote Captain Marvel and Chevrolets all night.

If I were Cuaron, I'd boycott. Fuck em.
Yeah. The cinematography in Roma is breathtaking at times, I would have loved to see him rewarded for it. Presuming that he wins, of course.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So many classic movies were saved in the editing room.

Crazy to see such oversight when both aspects are so important.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Basically there aren't well known people they can parade across the screen – so they bumped it… Academy Awards keeps on screwing up…

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I usually enjoy the Oscars for the most part, despite everyone hating on it. But this is complete bullshit. Cinematography along with Best Picture and Best Director is my favorite category.

Everything about this years Oscars has been a dumpster fire. A new "most popular" category, the Kevin Hart controversy, the nominations and snubs, and now nixing two of the most important categories in filmmaking.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
This year's Oscars are a train wreck. I finally cut the cord and went digital about a month ago, and the one network I didn't have a good replacement for was ABC, and the only thing I was worried about because of that was the Oscars. Now I can't say I much care.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
I'm glad Cuaron decided to give his voice.
Though, academy voting starts today, and Cuaron is personally nominated for 4 categories (Best Picture, Director, Cinematography and Foreign Language Film), so I hope the timing won't negatively affect him or ROMA in anyway.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a political move in that the Editing and Cinematography branches of the Academy don't have enough people going to bat for them and they get pushed around a lot.

If enough filmmakers from other branches speak out then maybe the Academy will walk this awful decision back.

May 26, 2018
These are awards for cinema, right? Where cinematography and editing are right up there with directing in terms of importance? The art of the camera and the cut? You know, the things that created the medium and separated it from theatre?

Do they just not give a shit anymore?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Because obviously the only parts that matter to a movie are the actors, the director, the one or two big-name celebrities/studios producing, and maybe the music if you got a big-name singer/band, Zimmer, or Junkie XL. The rest of the stuff just kinda happens on its own! It's okay, who cares about that nerd shit anyway, right? We know what you actually wanna see is Kimmel possibly make another Trump dig, and we need to give him as much time as we can!