• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Arguably editing isn't a technical award either. It's a highly collaborative creative field.
I'm not sure how important or creative something is determines whether it's a technical award or not. Obviously all categories are insanely creative and very important to a movie, but some are considered technical while others are not.

You can disagree what is and isn't, but to me a technical award is everything that takes place "behind" the camera or after filming.

Again, that's not talking about the importance to the film, as obviously editing and cinematography are incredibly essential. But I digress.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
Academy proves once again what utter trash the oscars are.

You can disagree what is and isn't, but to me a technical award is everything that takes place "behind" the camera or after filming.

Again, that's not talking about the importance to the film, as obviously editing and cinematography are incredibly essential.

What about before filming? Is writing also technical? Because editing is very closely related to writing and your distinction feels terribly arbitrary. Also don't really know what "behind" and "in front" of the camera means. Are you saying only acting doesn't fit in the "technical award" category?

That being said, given its history, the academy in their ignorance almost always looked at these arts as technical. But the fact that the academy could not understand the role of editing or cinematography without being as obvious as possible, either by having 1000 cuts per minute or by looking "very very pretty" or "wow, the camera never cuts", doesn't mean cinematography and editing should be considered more technically focused than all the others.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So the award for best editing will go to the oscars, since any good editor knows when to trim the fat

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
They should cut out the music perfomances and actually honor the filmmakers

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure how important or creative something is determines whether it's a technical award or not. Obviously all categories are insanely creative and very important to a movie, but some are considered technical while others are not.

Again, that's not talking about the importance to the film, as obviously editing and cinematography are incredibly essential. But I digress.
Then you clearly don't understand the role of editing in the construction of a story.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...ories-commercial-b-1186605?utm_source=twitter

Scorsese, Tarantino, Other Filmmakers Call Academy's Oscar Plan "An Insult"

A lengthy list of leading filmmakers are blasting the Academy's plan to present four awards categories at the upcoming 91st Oscars during commercial breaks as "nothing less than an insult to those of us who have devoted our lives and passions to our chosen profession." They are calling for the Academy to reverse its decision.

Their remarks are part of an open letter that has been signed by such directors as Spike Lee, Martin Scorsese and Quentino Tarantino; cinematographers including Roger Deakins, Emmanuel "Chivo" Lubeski and Robert Richardson; editors Tom Cross, William Goldenberg and Mary Jo Markey; and additional past and present Oscar nominees and winners from those branches and others including production design, sound and VFX.

With the Feb. 24 awards show, set to air on ABC, just 11 days away, the Academy and the show's producers Donna Gigliotti and Glenn Weiss are now facing what is becoming an open revolt. The Academy did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

"Relegating these essential cinematic crafts to lesser status in this 91st Academy Awards ceremony is nothing less than an insult to those of us who have devoted our lives and passions to our chosen profession," the letter reads. "When the recognition of those responsible for the creation of outstanding cinema is being diminished by the very institution whose purpose it is to protect it, then we are no longer upholding the spirit of the Academy's promise to celebrate film as a collaborative art form."

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Figures. The people who do cinematography, make-up, editing and such generally aren't famous. They want celebrities on stage to get people to watch and/or keep watching. Who cares about some no-name, right?

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Uh...yo editors are extremely important, at one point (heck even now at times) considered more important than the director themselves

Dont skip that

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
You could say the editors didn't make the cut

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
Cutting the lifetime achievement award from the live show a few years ago was also a huge mistake. That was one of the best bits every year. Cutting cinematography would be equally dumb.

Cinematography is up there with direction for me and is one of the few awards I like to watch. I agree it's insulting to remove that, especially if they keep filler like the annual "This Year the Oscars Celebrates X" montage and insisting on having live performances for all (often dreadful) nominated songs. The best musical performance they had in recent memory was when they got Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman to perform a medley of the nominated scores the year Crouching Tiger and Gladiator were nominated. If they did that every year, I would definitely be watching.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I'm happy prominent filmmakers are at least handing them their ass over this decision. If the plan is to swap out which categories get cut each year, then surely some year we'll see best actor and actress omitted from broadcast, right?

Of course not. It's just like how technical award recepients get 20 secs to make a speech while DiCaprio and Oldman get all the time in the world.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Things the Academy has reversed because everybody hated it

-Best Popular Film
-Kevin Hart
-Two Songs
-awards off air on an award show

And soon, Green Books Best picture win when they give it to Roma

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
What a complete and utter travesty... and to think they insisted that the Moonlight-La La Land Best Picture flub would be a wake-up call. More like it was a portend of things to come.