• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
It's more weird to sit there and suppress all emotion.

What do you do at sporting events?

Again, feeling emotion is not the same thing as loudly expressing emotion.

As for the sports comparison, the players are right there, you're cheering or jeering at them and the people around you aren't trying to listen to the score or understand what a player is saying over the sound of your excitement.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Again, feeling emotion is not the same thing as loudly expressing emotion.

As for the sports comparison, the players are right there, you're cheering or jeering at them and the people around you aren't trying to listen to the score or understand what a player is saying over the sound of your excitement.
That's what Blu Ray releases are for.
Do you not laugh in comedies? You'll miss lines there too

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
It's more weird to sit there and suppress all emotion.

What do you do at sporting events?
I sream and cheer of course.

It's a totally different scenario. cheering because your team did something great (scored a goal) over cheering about something cool that happenede in a movie, where everything is following a plot.

I can understand crying/laughing since those amotions are more "automatic". But clapping because a superhero is doing cool shit in a superhero movie feels so weird.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
One of the greatest things the MCU has done is take characters I was very familiar with - I knew and read Thor comics, Captain America comics, Black Panther comics - and just push them in such interesting and character-driven directions that, even though I had ALWAYS been familiar with them, now I truly CARED about them.

19360645.gif

tumblr_p87pb1vsCS1r4q876o2_540.gif

tumblr_pkhvv3pbwv1w2suz0_500.gif

For all the aliens and robots and magic and powers and bombastic action... it's the personal stories that I'm invested in, and Thor's journey from juvenile braggart eager for glory to broken, humbled man who has lost his father, mother, brother, best friends, lover, and entire country has been brutally fascinating, and you can tell so much of his wit and humor is trying to just mask that pain. That's such good writing.
yeah that's exactly right. Beautiful characterzations and personal stories

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing, we experience things exactly the same as you. We feel exactly the same emotions in exactly the same way, with the exact same intensity, we just don't want our uninhibited screams of excitement to potentially ruin someone else's experience, so we use restraint.

Here's the thing, we experience things exactly the same as you. We feel exactly the same emotions inexactly the same way, with the exact same intensity, we just feel relieved that we're finally surrounded by likeminded individuals at these showings that will appreciate that we're just as into this as they are. So we, finally, mercifully, allow ourselves to emote and cheer when a moment in the movie that was clearly engineered to elicit such a reaction happens.

For all intents and purposes, these films are wrestling events. Nobody's cheering for 3 hours straight and interrupting scenes where such a reaction would be inappropriate. If they were, they'd be asked to leave.

Y'all are complaining about roughly a minute or two's worth of cheering in a movie that lasts near 3 hours. You people are weirdos.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing, we experience things exactly the same as you. We feel exactly the same emotions inexactly the same way, with the exact same intensity, we just feel relieved that we're finally surrounded by likeminded individuals at these showings that will appreciate that we're just as into this as they are. So we, finally, mercifully, allow ourselves to emote and cheer when a moment in the movie that was clearly engineered to elicit such a reaction happens.

You people are weirdos.

I don't think those moments were designed for people to cheer at the theather.

It's like things nintendo directs are designed for reaction crowds. Maybe now they are doing it (with always having a final surprise and fake hints), but that wasnt always the case.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
It was a cool moment, but honestly it's not the best moment. The first Avengers assemble scene is way more fun for me, personally. The camera panning around everyone (and Hulk being hulk) is still magical to me.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Nerds getting excited lol

It was a great scene no doubt. Thor became the God of Thunder right there.

Oct 26, 2017

For all intents and purposes, these films are wrestling events. Nobody's cheering for 3 hours straight and interrupting scenes where such a reaction would be inappropriate. If they were, they'd be asked to leave.

Y'all are complaining about roughly a minute or two's worth of cheering in a movie that lasts near 3 hours. You people are weirdos.

You really didn't have to paraphrase my post back at me, we're painfully aware that you are feeling things because you immediately emote it as loudly as possible for all to hear, whether we want to or not.

That's what Blu Ray releases are for.
Do you not laugh in comedies? You'll miss lines there too

Laughter is an involuntary reaction, you get no say in whether something makes you laugh or not. The same can be said of gasping at something shocking. 'WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO FUCK YEAH FUCK 'EM UP THOR WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO' is entirely voluntary, avoidable and unnecessary.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Scene was wack because when he discharges the stormbreaker on the ground the area affected has a very small radius, the idea was great but execution was bleh

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You really didn't have to paraphrase my post back at me, we're painfully aware that you are feeling things because you immediately emote it as loudly as possible for all to hear, whether we want to or not.

I think I did need to.

Because you, like a lot of people here, are operating under the delusion that anybody in a crowd has to give a fuck about you. If you're in the minority in a showing like this, don't go to it.

Quit being socially inept.

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people in this thread need to avoid the theater the first two weeks it's out. There is going to be a lot of hype.

Thankfully I live somewhere that this isn't really a problem beyond the first day or two. It does seem to be catching though, unfortunately.

I think I did need to.

Because you, like a lot of people here, are operating under the delusion that anybody in a crowd has to give a fuck about you. If you're in the minority in a showing like this, don't go to it.

Quit being socially inept.

"Quit being socially inept" says person who seconds earlier admitted that there are a lot of people who find their behaviour annoying. 'I don't give a fuck about you' says person who routinely screams at images on a screen like a toddler.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Man, some of you need to learn to have fun. The best part about seeing these films opening night are the crowd reactions and the energy that comes with a group of hyped up fans.

tAgBSSo.jpg

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Quit being socially inept" says person who seconds earlier admitted that there are a lot of people who find their behaviour annoying. 'I don't give a fuck about you' says person who routinely screams at images on a screen like a toddler.

Reducing clapping and cheering to "screaming like a toddler" says much more about your lack of nuance and social intelligence than it does anything about me.

Look into that.

Oct 26, 2017
Reducing clapping and cheering to "screaming like a toddler" says much more about your lack of nuance and social intelligence than it does anything about me.

Look into that.

Sure will, right around the time you ask yourself why you're incapable of fully enjoying the experience of seeing a movie without the constant assertion and validation of your present emotional state. I fully expect it to be a long wait for both of us.

Look, I understand what you get from it. You need that release and coupled with the validation you get from being part of that 'social event' and I understand that it's a heady high for you. For me I experience that same rush of excitement, as do presumably the hundreds of other cinema goers at a given screening, but we soak it in, the visuals, the audio, and we experience it that way. We experience what's on the screen, not each other. Fuck I'm not even saying one experience is better than the other, you have your way of maximising your enjoyment, we have ours. The problem is your way of doing things is a fucking nightmare for the rest of us and pretty much excludes up from most opening weekends.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I remember when I saw the dark knight on opening night, the scene where the joker tries to get dent out of the police van.

It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop when the semi flipped. RIGHT at the climax, everyone is quiet, and some dude in the theater goes "holy shit" and the entire place roared after it. Probably my favorite movie experience.

Someone exclaimed "Holy Shit!" Whenever Joker sends the video and him saying "I'm a man of my word" and then doing his maniacal laugh. The best is there's a shot of the skyline that is near silent as the laugh quietly echoes. And then... "holy shit" everyone laughed

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a movie theater?, yeah, no difference with a kid.

For a few seconds at an appropriate time?

lol the lack of nuance here is wild. ITT, the same people admitting their audiences reacted like this to this moment have said the very same crowd was silent as a mouse when it was actually time to be so.

Nobody here is confused about proper movie etiquette except the lot of robots posing as human beings.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
People are against this?

That's weird.

I am all for hype and atmosphere at these kinds of movies. These aren't complex dramas where a scene is going to be ruined by some clapping. We all know the Marvel formula by now and it's pretty clear when it's clapping time and when it's time to shut the fuck up and pay attention time.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
People are against this?

That's weird.

I am all for hype and atmosphere at these kinds of movies. These aren't complex dramas where a scene is going to be ruined by some clapping. We all know the Marvel formula by now and it's pretty clear when it's clapping time and when it's time to shut the fuck up and pay attention time.
I mean I'm not angry at this or annoyed I just think its dumb.

Its a superhero movie, I feel like people cheering and clapping just happens because they WANT to do it and are waiting for an opportunity. Its like watching the crowds in the Nintendo stores watching the nintendo directs cheering at every word said by the announcer.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Sure will, right around the time you ask yourself why you're incapable of fully enjoying the experience of seeing a movie without the constant assertion and validation of your present emotional state. I fully expect it to be a long wait for both of us.

Look, I understand what you get from it. You need that release and coupled with the validation you get from being part of that 'social event' and I understand that it's a heady high for you. For me I experience that same rush of excitement, as do presumably the hundreds of other cinema goers at a given screening, but we soak it in, the visuals, the audio, and we experience it that way. We experience what's on the screen, not each other. Fuck I'm not even saying one experience is better than the other, you have your way of maximising your enjoyment, we have ours. The problem is your way of doing things is a fucking nightmare for the rest of us and pretty much excludes up from most opening weekends.
Me wondering if people are going to piss themselves in an indignant rage because I'm getting hype in an audidble fashion is a goddamn nightmare.

When I'm at any opening event, be it a game or a movie or anything else, I'm there for the atmosphere. For the electricity that goes through the room when STAR WARS crawls across the screen for the first time in a decade. If I want the quiet atmosphere, I go at a different time. Let the fans share their excitement with each other.

And don't be a such a tool by calling people toddlers and being passive aggressive.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
It's basically a wrestler run-in. You know, when a group of good guys are getting beat down by the bad guys, then suddenly the music hits and out comes the top guy to run in and clear the ring. It's seriously a movie version of that, and it was awesome.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me wondering if people are going to piss themselves in an indignant rage because I'm getting hype in an audidble fashion is a goddamn nightmare.

When I'm at any opening event, be it a game or a movie or anything else, I'm there for the atmosphere. For the electricity that goes through the room when STAR WARS crawls across the screen for the first time in a decade. If I want the quiet atmosphere, I go at a different time. Let the fans share their excitement with each other.

This isn't something you need to worry about because almost everyone there opening night is on the same page. Hell, even through the opening weekend. The few that aren't are outliers.

Do you, man. This is a them problem.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017

Then you have to handle the same excited fans spoiling the movie o facebook/instagram as soon as they leave the theather.

This isn't something you need to worry about because almost everyone there opening night is on the same page. Hell, even through the opening weekend. The few that aren't are outliers.

Thats exactly the same attitude people using their phones have on the theather.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Oh yeah, no. I was being facetious about them calling the social experience a nightmare. I'll continue to do me because I know why I'm seeing Avengers on opening might.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
People overreacting and being unable to control their emotions in publichas always baffledme..I actually viewsuch behavior in publicvenues to be a sign of weakness. Strong people can control their reactions in public. pretty sad.

"For you, the day Thor arrived in Wakanda was the most important day in you life. But for me... it was Thursday."

crazy monkey

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Movie going experience in theaters is social experience.

Reactions are always welcome. Unnecessary talking in movies or cell phone use is not.

Oct 26, 2017

It must be hell knowing some people showed up
to watch a movie rather than to be part of your self indulgent, self aware, public 'experience' performance art. What a bunch of pricks, right? Sitting there, enjoying a piece of entertainment without immediately vocalising that enjoyment for others to know just how much you're enjoying it. Those selfish pricks. I feel ya buddy.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
One of these things is frowned upon by most everybody in a theater. The other is not.

Your inability to tell the difference is more compelling evidence that you're a robot. Come clean, Sophia.

I mean, here people clapping in the middle of a movie is frowned upon too. That's why I think its so weird that most people in this forum think its a norm.

And just thinking that "well, if they are annoyed by me its their problem" its the same ATTITUDE people have when using their phones on the theather.

Good man.

Hi-fiving a random dude next to me when Cap shows up in the movie is emblematic of why I love these showings. It's for the diehard fans more than anything.
I mean, I'm not a robot, but if would be weird if the person next to me in the theather wanted ot high five me when a superhero shows up on his own movie. (and he isnt a kid), I wouldnt be annoyed, but it would be weird.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, no. I was being facetious about them calling the social experience a nightmare. I'll continue to do me because I know why I'm seeing Avengers on opening might.

Good man.

Hi-fiving a random dude next to me when Cap shows up in the movie is emblematic of why I love these showings. It's for the diehard fans more than anything.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, here people clapping in the middle of a movie is frowned upon too. That's why I think its so weird that most people in this forum think its a norm

"By most everybody" is the difference, there. Most people showing up to these are unbothered by appropriate reactions.

So you're either a robot or you can't read. Which is it?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
to watch a movie rather than to be part of your self indulgent, self aware, public 'experience' performance art. What a bunch of pricks, right? Sitting there, enjoying a piece of entertainment without immediately vocalising that enjoyment for others to know just how much you're enjoying it. Those selfish pricks. I feel ya buddy.
I bet you love seeing comedies. Laughter is practically the same thing, after all. I'm expressing my enjoyment of a scene in a public, self-validating way!

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Laughter is involuntary. Gasping is involuntary. Jumping and going 'eek!' at a scare in a horror movie is involuntary. WOOOOOOOOOO FUCK YEAH etc etc is entirely voluntary.
All it takes is some self control to not laugh or gasp though! It's entirely voluntary to express how you feel in an audible fashion. If your instinct is to laugh at something and you're fine with defending that, it in no way invalidates my instinct to cheer and let my excitement be heard. If you're talking about high-fiving people and shit? Totally. That's a conscious decision. I'm going to opening nights for that experience but I'm not gonna dream of doing it to someone that clearly ain't there to get touched.

crazy monkey

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Laughter is involuntary. Gasping is involuntary. Jumping and going 'eek!' at a scare in a horror movie is involuntary. WOOOOOOOOOO FUCK YEAH etc etc is entirely voluntary.
No it is not. Clapping and being happy comes naturally. Saying holyshit is very common. Going to movies is social experience. Stay home and watch in isolation. People get distracted by breathing, popcorn eating, and people drinking pepsi. I have no problem people getting in to the hype moment.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
It is so weird to read comments from all of you so against social interactions. Not all shows are like this. These ones are supposed to be hype, and they have shows setup for that hype. People go for the hype.
The movie going experience used to be a communal event and not so stiff.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
For MCU movies, I like it. These movies are more "event"-like and it seems fitting. I really like going opening weekend for the MCU because the energy is great.

ummm I'm pretty sure literally no one said this, no one cares if you're just quietly enjoying the movie yourself.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
All the people whining at the reactions in this are why I like seeing movies at home. That oppressive silence ya'll demand is...ugh, gross.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This was probably on opening night or something? I personally never heard a mass reaction like that in a theater, ever.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
It is so weird to read comments from all of you so against social interactions. Not all shows are like this. These ones are supposed to be hype, and they have shows setup for that hype. People go for the hype.
The movie going experience used to be a communal event and not so stiff.

I don't have a problem with spontaneus reactions like laughter, but this is really the equivalent of screaming just because you are in a crowd.
Like people cheering every...single...Smash ...character... In this video (19:30 aprox)

https://youtu.be/trFVfYDNBPw