• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
All it takes is some self control to not laugh or gasp though! It's entirely voluntary to express how you feel in an audible fashion. If your instinct is to laugh at something and you're fine with defending that, it in no way invalidates my instinct to cheer and let my excitement be heard. If you're talking about high-fiving people and shit? Totally. That's a conscious decision. I'm going to opening nights for that experience but I'm not gonna dream of doing it to someone that clearly ain't there to get touched.

No it is not. Clapping and being happy comes naturally. Saying holyshit is very common. Going to movies is social experience. Stay home and watch in isolation. People get distracted by breathing, popcorn eating, and people drinking pepsi. I have no problem people getting in to the hype moment.

Laughter is literally involuntary, as is your reaction to shock and the unexpected (which are both evolutionarily tied directly to laughter, as it happens), you don't find something funny or frightening and then gauge how much you want to audibly react to something. These things are involuntary, enjoyable reactions.

Whooping/cheering/clapping at a screen because you're excited is entirely voluntary.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
At least I understand now how many people in the internet miss very obvious story related stuff in movies, they can't hear shit because people are cheering or clapping :D
To each their own I guess. As long as everyone has fun and americans seem to realize what they get into. In Germany you would get beaten up probably, lol.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe people are FOR people screaming and yelling at a movie theatre. You are part of the problem why movie-going experience (in general) sucks.

I didn't pay $25 (not including concessions) to listen to your commentary.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Given how much of a ripoff cinema tickets tend to be these days, this kind of nonsense would probably drive me batshit insane tbh. It's bad enough at most ordinary viewings when people make tons of rustling noise and can't sit still and flash their phones everywhere. Obviously I get being hyped and enjoying a film, but screaming is just absolutely fucking dumb, regardless of what's being shown.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe people are FOR people screaming and yelling at a movie theatre. You are part of the problem why movie-going experience (in general) sucks.

No no no, you paid $25 to be part of their experience. Because it's an event. Please consider that their hype levels are at maximum and they need their release.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't want to know what this conversation has morphed into to make it 800 posts long and Era -- if for nothing else -- is good for draining the fucking life out of anything that is fun. But the scene was indeed awesome.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
No no no, you paid $25 to be part of their experience. Because it's an event. Please consider that their hype levels are at maximum and they need their release.
Honestly, I think its a selfish thing. I don't want to get into a generational vs. generational thing but man, people are selfish and feel like they deserve attention or need to be the centre of attention.

Its akin to being on your cellphone in a movie theatre, talking during a movie.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm not angry at this or annoyed I just think its dumb.

Its a superhero movie, I feel like people cheering and clapping just happens because they WANT to do it and are waiting for an opportunity. Its like watching the crowds in the Nintendo stores watching the nintendo directs cheering at every word said by the announcer.
They are just trying to have a good time. Just like the fans who lose it when they see the Zelda game they knew was coming.

It's harmless.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think its a selfish thing. I don't want to get into a generational vs. generational thing but man, people are selfish and feel like they deserve attention or need to be the centre of attention.

It's funny that you don't realize you're the one being selfish here.

CDV13

Jan 30, 2018
I have never experienced this in the US and I am personally happy about it. I don't care too much, but would be annoying. Hell, I fell asleep in Rogue One. lol. No noise going on.

Oct 26, 2017
Its obviously the person going to a dark room with good audio thinking the crowd wants to hear him instead of the movie.

If movies were designed to cheer people would go to a stadium.

Yep. It's a screen, not a stage.

I see it like hecklers at a comedy show who've figured out the exact amount of heckling that won't get them thrown out and mistake begrudging tolerance for endorsement.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I feel bad for you guys who don't have fun at a movie. Let people take it in, enjoy it, cheer. It's all part of the experience, if anything it adds to it. Imagine a filmmaker creating something to get a reaction out of s scene and the viewer just sits there looking apathetic.

I know I didn't holler at the theater but when I watch it again at home I did "OOOHHHH HOHO SHITS GONNS GO DOWN!"

some boring ass film critics here.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
The crowd is cheering, are you saying the whole crowd is selfish?
The "crowd" doesnt mean every other person, just the ones screaming, and those are the ones you are seeing clapping/screaming at a screen and making you think "everyone is doing it".

Its the reason I try to avoid going to this kind of movies the first week (even if I'm not that annoyed by it), sadly those screamers are the same people talking the whole day about the movie in person and the internet spoiling it for everyone.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The "crowd" doesnt mean every other person, just the ones screaming, and those are the ones you are seeing clapping/screaming at a screen and making you think "everyone is doing it".

Its the reason I try to avoid going to this kind of movies the first week (even if I'm not that annoyed by it), sadly those screamers are the same people talking the whole day about the movie in person and the internet spoiling it for everyone.
So enough people are cheering where it sounds like it's everyone and the people who aren't went there on the opening weekend knowing cheering happens, so, what's the issue?

To your last point, now you're just making shit up to be annoyed about.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Thanos stabbing Tony is the first time I surrender cobra'd in a movie theater lmao

It is so weird to read comments from all of you so against social interactions. Not all shows are like this. These ones are supposed to be hype, and they have shows setup for that hype. People go for the hype.
The movie going experience used to be a communal event and not so stiff.

I mean, it still is a communal event.

These feelings are very much the outlier for these movies, especially amongst the "going opening weekend" crowd.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
wow@this thread

there is a huge gulf of a difference between a crowd cheering for like 1 second at an event in a movie than someone talking through an entire movie. I've experienced both, one of them bothers me immensely, the other does not. I'll let you guess which is which.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
GbPwocU.gif

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that you don't realize you're the one being selfish here.

Okay there. Now I know you're pulling people's legs. Somehow, Im ruining everyone's expierience by asking screamers to be quiet vs. them being quiet for everyone.

Do you also think its okay to use your cellphone in the movie theatre? Check a text for one second?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Okay there. Now I know you're pulling people's legs. Somehow, Im ruining everyone's expierience by asking screamers to be quiet vs. them being quiet for everyone.

Do you also think its okay to use your cellphone in the movie theatre? Check a text for one second?
You're telling the entire movie theater to stop cheering on opening weekend? Lol

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
So enough people are cheering where it sounds like it's everyone and the people who aren't went there on the opening weekend knowing cheering happens, so, what's the issue?

To your last point, now you're just making shit up to be annoyed about.
I mean, here its not that common, I think it mostly happen at movies for kids (and of course I wouldnt complain about kids screaming in the theather since thats ok and expected), I havent been in a showing with adults screaming in a long time.

The second point?, a friend who went to see avengers IW the first week the first thing he did on instagram was recommending to see the movie since he almost cried at a iron man scene but now he was waiting for the sequel....
Yeah, I'm guesing people who need to vent during the movie are the sames that NEED to vent after the movie.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this has been brought up already but ya'll know that video is fake right? The cheering audio is stock and added in post.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you I would hate you if I were in the same theater.

I definitely didn't shout it at least. Im sure people around me were annoyed though lol

At the midnight showing for The Simpsons Movie people started booing and throwing stuff at the screen when it said To Be Continued...

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, here its not that common, I think it mostly happen at movies for kids (and of course I wouldnt complain about kids screaming in the theather since thats ok and expected), I havent been in a showing with adults screaming in a long time.
Then I have no idea what the problem here is. People who don't mind go to the showings where it happens, you go to the showings where it doesn't happen. You're just annoyed at the idea of people enjoying a movie in a way you don't enjoy it.

The second point?, a friend who went to see avengers IW the first week the first thing he did on instagram was recommending to see the movie since he almost cried at a iron man scene but now he was waiting for the sequel....
Yeah, I'm guesing people who need to vent during the movie are the sames that NEED to vent after the movie.
I have no idea what any of this means.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Alfred seeing Bruce at the end of TDKR is the biggest theater reaction I remember,
Steve arriving from the shadows in Infinity War was #2.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Then I have no idea what the problem here is. People who don't mind go to the showings where it happens, you go to the showings where it doesn't happen. You're just annoyed at the idea of people enjoying a movie in a way you don't enjoy it.

I'm just giving my opinion, its dumb, I shouldnt have to wait 1 or 2 weeks so people stop screaming at a theather where you pay to watch a movie.

I do it and it isnt a big deal, but it shouldnt be the norm and people who do it think its normal since no one complains, just like people who use their phones with max brightness during the movie and think they arent bothering people.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Movies in the US are so quiet in my experience.

The only exception I've experienced was The Force Awakens when Rey pulled the lightsaber toward herself for the first time. My theater fucking erupted. It wasn't a surprise, it was payoff.

For being such an enjoyable series, the Marvel movies don't have a lot of these moments for me. There's "always angry" Hulk, Ragnarok's bridge scene, and Groot saving everyone at the end of Guardians. That's it for me. This particular Thor scene didn't do much.

Oct 7, 2018
USA
My goodness there are some seriously socially broken people on this forum.

It is painfully obvious that some of you have been spending way too much of your life online and have developed a very strange sense for what is and isn't socially acceptable behavior.

To be this butthurt over some people who are big fans cheering for literally 5 to 10 seconds of a movie that's almost 3 hours long on opening night just defies all reason.

You can come up with any argument you want but that will not change the fact that you are in the vast minority on this and perhaps that should cause some self-reflection to take place.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a scene in recent memory that has illicited as big a crowd reaction as this moment in Infinity War. And seeing these videos from various countries across the globe showed me that it's not just us crazy Americans that hoot and holler at the cinema screen. What an incredible crowd pleasing moment. It's like a friggin rock concert lol

My theatre was packed and quiet throughout (except when cap showed up).

Odinforce Thor showing up is an experience I'll never forget.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States

It's probably several things - it's generational, it's cultural, and it's dependent on the movie.

Superhero movies - especially the first week or so - are events and experiences to many people (akin to going to a concert or live performance - there's going to be cheering when cool stuff happens).
Some cultures are much more expressive and vocal than others in general.
Younger folks can be more outwardly enthusiastic.
It's all of these things, and more, I'm sure.

If you're the kind of person for whom this is a turn off, then the answer is to wait a bit or go during low traffic times. It would be selfish to think that your way of enjoying movies should be imposed on the large majority of people in the theatre.

Or to put it another way - there are some theatres where I know the norm is to be more reserved. When I go there I'm less reactive because I don't want to disturb. There are other theatres where I know the norm is to be more exuberant. When I go there I react more. Why should I disturb the norm of a given place because it's not how just me would want to do it?

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It is painfully obvious that some of you have been spending way too much of your life online and have developed a very strange sense for what is and isn't socially acceptable behavior.

To be this butthurt over some people who are big fans cheering for literally 5 to 10 seconds of a movie that's almost 3 hours long on opening night just defies all reason.

You can come up with any argument you want but that will not change the fact that you are in the vast minority on this and perhaps that should cause some self-reflection to take place.
Lol yep

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
You want opening weekend crowds to stop doing the thing they've been doing for literally decades, yes, you're being selfish.
People have been speaking in movies/talking in the phone for years too and they think its ok, does that mean I'm selfish if I want them to stop?

Im not angry, I'm not butthurt as some people said, I just think its annoying, it isnt a big deal, but since someone made a thread yeah, not everyone likes paying to hear other people scream at a screen/talking on the phone.

Last edited:

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Low key but I was more excited about Rocket Racoon being in Thor shoulder

168ed899c55146766eb6f7e3d9b90bb0.gif

Rocket Racoon and Groot are even more good when they are with Thor

Real talk, it was great for all of them. Rocket and Groot are both indifferent the whole time for different reasons and being alongside Thor when he lands and subsequently running into the fight with him was just great.

The Russo's did SO WELL with what they had to cover in just two hours, I'm still in shock at how well it all works together.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
People have been speaking in movies/talking in the phone for years too and they think its ok, does that mean I'm selfish if I want them to stop?

Report someone for using the phone, and the theater employees will tell that person to stop.

Report the entire theater for cheering during an exciting scene, see what happens.

Don't play stupid. One is acceptable, the other is not - by the theater's and the public's standards. Your personal standards don't apply.

Oct 26, 2017

Butthurt, in 2019. Nice.

A lot of us were drawn into this discussion because what's being described is so far removed from what our typical cinema experience is that you'd probably get removed from the cinema (to the relief of the other 99% of the people in the room) for behaving like such a clueless prick. At the very least someone would tell you to sit down and shut the fuck up, because here people typically pay to see the film, not clowns.

That said those of us outside the US are noticing this shit beginning creep out of that country and spread to the rest of the world, like childhood diabetes.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
People have been speaking in movies/talking in the phone for years too and they think its ok, does that mean I'm selfish if I want them to stop.
Cheering really only happens during the opening weekend, if you buy a ticket for said weekend, you are willingly buying a ticket for something that there's a really good chance will have cheering. It's socially accepted to cheer in that setting, it's never socially accepted to talk during a movie or take out your phone unless you buy a ticket for special screenings where that is allowed.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good thread for the ol ignore list. Getting rid of the people that view cheering as some kind of vicious affront to civilization should be an easy improvement on my Era experience overall. Bonus/proof: looks like some of them are already there!

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get clapping to a screen, at something with actual people in front of you, clap away, you're showing people you appreciate what they are doing, don't clap a fucking screen.

Deleted member 45957

*glares motherfuckingly at loud people*

Last edited by a moderator: