• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of us were drawn into this discussion because what's being described is so far removed from what our typical cinema experience is that you'd probably get removed from the cinema (to the relief of the other 99% of the people in the room) for behaving like such a clueless prick.

Report people cheering for a few seconds in one of these movies and report back here with what happens.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Cheering really only happens during the opening weekend, if you buy a ticket for said weekend, you are willingly buying a ticket for something that there's a really good chance will have cheering. It's socially accepted to cheer in that setting, it's never socially accepted to talk during a movie or take out your phone unless you buy a ticket for special screenings where that is allowed.

I mean, I just asked my coworkers and everyone said its unnaceptable to scream/cheer/clap during a movie, it can be understood AFTER a movie (even if its still dumb) so I'm guessing this is just a culturla difference (I'm from South America).

Oct 26, 2017
Report people cheering for a few seconds in one of these movies and report back here with what happens.

Generally people can be trusted to have a basic level of self control here if you avoid hours which are likely to be rammed with school kids or opening weekend, so it's cool. And like I said, people who are continually disruptive (there are just so many exciting moments in these comic book films!) will either get kicked out or told to STFU, whichever comes first.

Oct 7, 2018
USA
Butthurt, in 2019. Nice.

A lot of us were drawn into this discussion because what's being described is so far removed from what our typical cinema experience is that you'd probably get removed from the cinema (to the relief of the other 99% of the people in the room) for behaving like such a clueless prick. At the very least someone would tell you to sit down and shut the fuck up, because here people typically pay to see the film, not clowns.

That said those of us outside the US are noticing this shit beginning creep out of that country and spread to the rest of the world, like childhood diabetes.

Lol thanks for proving my point, your post makes you sound like one of those socially broken people that I was describing.

Perhaps some therapy would help you overcome this issue.

Oct 26, 2017
Lol thanks for proving my point, your post makes you sound like one of those socially broken people that I was describing.

Perhaps some therapy would help you overcome this issue.

I actually did have therapy for a number of problems I faced, and continue to deal with, some of them actually related to social disorders. Well diagnosed, doc!

However, where I'm from screaming at a screen like an absolute fucking melt is largely treated like the utterly moronic, self-serving, self-gratifying, uninhibited childlike behaviour that it is. This is far, far from a minority opinion here.

Also, unrelated to all of that, you are a cunt.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am a deeply anti-social individual and I still really enjoy going to the movies and hearing the people around me reacting to the movies in loud and hillarious ways. ERA you are beyond weird sometimes.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
One of the greatest things the MCU has done is take characters I was very familiar with - I knew and read Thor comics, Captain America comics, Black Panther comics - and just push them in such interesting and character-driven directions that, even though I had ALWAYS been familiar with them, now I truly CARED about them.

19360645.gif

tumblr_p87pb1vsCS1r4q876o2_540.gif

tumblr_pkhvv3pbwv1w2suz0_500.gif

For all the aliens and robots and magic and powers and bombastic action... it's the personal stories that I'm invested in, and Thor's journey from juvenile braggart eager for glory to broken, humbled man who has lost his father, mother, brother, best friends, lover, and entire country has been brutally fascinating, and you can tell so much of his wit and humor is trying to just mask that pain. That's such good writing.
EXACTLY. Thor saying "What more could I lose?" Was fucking heart breaking.

Marvel has realized these characters so wet wife and I fought about who was right, Cap or Tony when it came to civil war. I was team cap. She's still tram Tony. It's still a sore spot. Lol

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Generally people can be trusted to have a basic level of self control here if you avoid hours which are likely to be rammed with school kids or opening weekend, so it's cool. And like I said, people who are continually disruptive (there are just so many exciting moments in these comic book films!) will either get kicked out or told to STFU, whichever comes first.

No no.

If you're ever in a showing like that, report the behavior. Record it if possible. Report back here with what happens.

I'd like to see you getting laughed at. Cause no one is getting kicked out for reasonable excited reactions. You won't even get a warning for it, especially in a showing where it's understood that most everybody is gonna be doing it.

But report a cellphone and they'll come down on that shit every time.

The two aren't even remotely equal.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that you don't realize you're the one being selfish here.
I can imagine it now.

*Dude sits quietly in the cinema, watching the movie. Wrapped up in the story.*

*Einchy stalks down the cinema aisle, taps dude on the shoulder*

Excuse me. Could you cut that shit out, please? This isn't about you, you selfish asshole.

Explain to me how the poster you're responding to is being selfish, exactly? As opposed to the person deciding to yell and clap in a screening where others have paid their ticket price to watch the movie?

How is he the selfish one for just wanting to watch the goddamn movie?

I know. I know. His surly, robotic opinion is stifling your right to express yourself. To engage in the communal experience where you KNOW everybody there is there for the same thing. Because it's opening weekend. People couldn't have just bought tickets for opening weekend because they're excited for the film or don't want to be spoiled? If they were excited for the film, they would obviously be on their feet, clapping and whooping like a seal in heat. How can they not? It's as involuntary as sneezing or laughing. What kind of sick asshole thinks people can control that behaviour? Why do these robots continue to voice their discomfort with the behaviour? I know. They don't know how to experience joy. Or any emotion whatsoever. If they did, they couldn't possibly still be seated and quiet. Yes. Yes... they're obviously socially inept robots.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Butthurt, in 2019. Nice.

A lot of us were drawn into this discussion because what's being described is so far removed from what our typical cinema experience is that you'd probably get removed from the cinema (to the relief of the other 99% of the people in the room) for behaving like such a clueless prick. At the very least someone would tell you to sit down and shut the fuck up, because here people typically pay to see the film, not clowns.

That said those of us outside the US are noticing this shit beginning creep out of that country and spread to the rest of the world, like childhood diabetes.

And this is what it's really about, right? More anti US sentiment.

These vids aren't even American.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I can imagine it now.

*Dude sits quietly in the cinema, watching the movie. Wrapped up in the story.*

*Einchy stalks down the cinema aisle, taps dude on the shoulder*

Excuse me. Could you cut that shit out, please? This isn't about you, you selfish asshole.

Explain to me how the poster you're responding to is being selfish, exactly? As opposed to the person deciding to yell and clap in a screening where others have paid their ticket price to watch the movie?

How is he the selfish one for just wanting to watch the goddamn movie?

I know. I know. His surly, robotic opinion is stifling your right to express yourself. To engage in the communal experience where you KNOW everybody there is there for the same thing. Because it's opening weekend. People couldn't have just bought tickets for opening weekend because they're excited for the film or don't want to be spoiled? If they were excited for the film, they would obviously be on their feet, clapping and whooping like a seal in heat. How can they not? It's as involuntary as sneezing or laughing. What kind of sick asshole thinks people can control that behaviour? Why do these robots continue to voice their discomfort with the behaviour? I know. They don't know how to experience joy. Or any emotion whatsoever. If they did, they couldn't possibly still be seated and quiet. Yes. Yes... they're obviously socially inept robots.
2oCz0Ge.gif

This entire thread is people refuting every single point that you've made so I'm not sure why you're even bothering to pretend like you're in the right. You want as far as to agree with Subpar, the guy who literally only trolls threads with wrong opinions, the guy who argues it's okay to text during movies. lol

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
The only way this scene would've gotten more hype is if they played the opening during it.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
imagine being as unfun as some of the posters in this thread. Opening day movie shenanigans, especially for something we've all been edging towards for 10 years, are why its still worth it to actually go to the theaters.

Nov 5, 2017
Man, I absolutely lost my shit at "Bring me THANOS!" when I saw it opening night with a crowd, and I genuinely thought I was passed that point in my life as a mature adult cinema aficionado. Even Cap's introduction elicited a smile and a fist bump.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The reason it works because the moment is effective in both the narrative and meta level.

Thor arriving in Wakanda was the climax of two different storyline threads from the movie coming together into one location (the Earth Avengers subplot and the Thor subplot). Each thread was also at the absolute weakest point the very minute before the arrival (the Wakandans and Avengers were getting wiped out by the aliens, and Thor had practically died less than 30 seconds earlier).

So you had a lot of big questions that had to be answered:

1. Will Thor survive?
2. Was Groot able to finish the axe?
3. After all his mistakes, is Thor worthy to have the Odinforce?
4. Can the Avengers win?

And in one single action, having Thor return, not just alive but brand new, using the bifrost, completely stopping the fighting to a halt so that everyone can see what happened; the answer to all those questions was yes.

And Alan Silvestri's Avengers theme played at full blast.

Of course it worked.

This is even more effective on a meta level, as this movie was hyped for 10 years, every single shared element of the series up to this point was in service of setting up these two movies. It was literally the Super Bowl of superhero movies, it was a shared national (technically, worldwide) event. Almost every hero in the entire series was gonna be there. People are gonna sheer when their favorite hero shows up, they are gonna sheer when the INFINITY WAR title appears, they are gonna sheer when Iron Man suits up, so OF COURSE they are gonna cheer at the climactic heroic narrative climax of the movie, it's the big play.

And of course, just like a real sports event, people will cheer when their heroes do great stuff and everyone will cry silently at the end when they lose.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Nobody is saying complete silence. Jesus.

Voluntary noise is the problem. Gasps, laughter, screams at jump scares are involuntary and fine.

Don't agree at all. Cheering is also fine.

You add the "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!" scene and you damn well better believe people are going to cheer, as they should.

I will still opt out of seeing the movie in a crowded theater because the cheering annoys me. So does involuntary noise. I like complete silence if possible.
But again, I know so many people who absolutely love going to these movies in a crowded theater for the social interaction/reaction to great scenes. It is absolutely a positive part of the movie going experience for most people, and I would not take that away from them simply because I don't personally enjoy it.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Oh you're the 1 guy that sits there, arms folded with a face liked a slapped arse whilst everyone around you has a fantastic time. And you call THEM sad?

No I am the guy that has self control and can genuinely have a blast at a movie while maintaining my maturity and respect for those around me.

That's the key difference. These people don't have respect or self control in the moment when their hedonistic whims are tickled.. they throw all courtesy and control out the moment adn just act however they wanna act... it's really sad and disappointing.

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of people here seem to be missing the fact that this is very cultural.

In here, if you start yelling and clapping in a movie, people will assume you're either an idiot or a drunk. The unwritten rule is that once the light goes out you shut up, and that's very much tied to the general sense of how you're supposed to act in public. Watching couple of comedies while visiting USA was a true WTF scenario for me because of that.

The exception is first showings of geeky movies like Star Wars.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I just asked my coworkers and everyone said its unnaceptable to scream/cheer/clap during a movie, it can be understood AFTER a movie (even if its still dumb) so I'm guessing this is just a culturla difference (I'm from South America).

I get being annoyed by it regardless, but if you're going to a film opening night/first weekend, you kind of can't pretend like this isn't what is going to happen and get upset after the fact.

(Personal favorite reaction to a film is still the ending of Inception: dead quiet, and then one loud "you've got to be fucking kidding me" in the back.)

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
EXACTLY. Thor saying "What more could I lose?" Was fucking heart breaking.

Marvel has realized these characters so wet wife and I fought about who was right, Cap or Tony when it came to civil war. I was team cap. She's still tram Tony. It's still a sore spot. Lol
Bring your wife some flowers and tell her she's right. Bucky was screwed up and still is. Cap should not let that guy drag him down.

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot stand people talking or looking at their phones in theaters but lively crowd responses to the action on the screen improves the experience.

For a big marquee film like Star Wars or a "big" MCU movie, it's highly likely I'm gonna go twice. First on premiere day with my partner or brother, hopefully with a packed audience; and again on my own maybe a week or two after it's been showing. I'm happy to go with the crowd on opening night, especially if it's a movie you don't have to think too hard about. Second viewing lets me explore the story with a bit more focus and I generally prefer a quieter audience for that.

I thought Captain Marvel was "okay to good" but my experience of it was better because of an enthusiastic audience response.

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow this is not fun allowed the thread, I can't believe someone is so boring to not howl when fucking thor comes with his hammer and the rabbit.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
If you're going on opening night, you are signing up for the crowd as well. It gets you even more pumped up imo. Most of the people going on opening night and possibly opening weekend will usually be the bigger fans, waiting years for the film to arrive. It's not surprising the crowd goes wild in those scenes.

Just wait a few days and you'll get the calmer crowd. It's pretty simple tbh

Getting mad at people for getting excited seems silly, unless of course they were constantly doing it. It's just 3 or 4 scenes, guys.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
You can definitely tell who here calls the police when their neighbors have any type of social gathering.

There is a difference between a public social gathering in a backyard, or a bar, or a party or whatever and a gathering at a dark theater that specifically urges people to put away their phones and be quiet during the movie.

It literally is stated at the start of the movie to be quiet and put away your cellphones - both are equally unacceptable when seeing a movie in theaters - respect other peoples money because they all paid to see a movie in peace.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
There is a difference between a public social gathering in a backyard, or a bar, or a party or whatever and a gathering at a dark theater that specifically urges people to put away their phones and be quiet during the movie.

It literally is stated at the start of the movie to be quiet and put away your cellphones - both are equally unacceptable when seeing a movie in theaters - respect other peoples money because they all paid to see a movie in peace.
Its an US specific thing. Nobody Germany does that. Everyone is quiet (laughter is allowed tho).

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
All you howling nerds is why private viewings exist. No one cares for your lame ass commentary, howls, "yeaaaaaaaaah", and general "OH MY GOD" shit. It's really strange how theaters even tell y'all to shut the fuck up along side not using your phone, putting feet on chairs in front, and kicking seats. Like, y'all can say, "but talking and cell phone use is different!!!!1!" but it isn't. It's fine if you want to scream as is if you believe any of that shit on screen matters just at least own you are ruining the actual viewing experience for others.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
That's really part of the movie-going experience. The scene does not pack the same punch when you watch it alone in your house. I remember a big one being in the first Avenger film when Hulk completely demolishes Loki and calls him a puny god. My theater went wild for that.

It's not a US-specific thing. I live in the Caribbean and people yell at the theater all the time. It can be annoying, but it really depends on the movie. Avengers is supposed to elicit this type of reaction. The hype is half of the experience.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
That's really part of the movie-going experience. The scene does not pack the same punch when you watch it alone in your house. I remember a big one being in the first Avenger film when Hulk completely demolishes Loki and calls him a puny god. My theater went wild for that.
If the scene doesn't deliver when watching solo then it might be a shitty scene.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind laughing at jokes, it's a natural reaction. Can't stand people cheering and clapping during the movie. It's why I usually go for Gold Lounge screenings..I'm fine with paying extra so I don't have to listen to it.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If the scene doesn't deliver when watching solo then it might be a shitty scene.

Sure, but there's context. These movies are absolutely made with this in mind. Things like Fast and Furious series are really bad outside of the context of a theater with the crowd eating up the fan service. Those movies are absolutely not made to watch at home by yourself. Avengers is a bit better in quality but it's really the same thing, it's totally a theater crowd movie.

It's like trying to listen to trance or whatever club music in your car on the way to work, it'll probably not pack the same punch as when you're listening to it at a club at irresponsible volumes and you're pretty wasted and going wild.

aSniperJones

Oct 26, 2017
District of Columbia
I'm cool with it, especially opening weekend. People were excited. I too was extremely excited to see my favorite characters [Thor, Rocket, and Groot] teamed up and ready to wreak havoc with such force; I just didn't express it with audible cheers.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Sure, but there's context. These movies are absolutely made with this in mind. Things like Fast and Furious series are really bad outside of the context of a theater with the crowd eating up the fan service. Those movies are absolutely not made to watch at home by yourself. Avengers is a bit better in quality but it's really the same thing, it's totally a theater crowd movie.

It's like trying to listen to trance or whatever club music in your car on the way to work, it'll probably not pack the same punch as when you're listening to it at a club at irresponsible volumes and you're pretty wasted and going wild.
I don't believe writers, directors, etc. go, "We need to add this scene to hype up the theatre." Build up and climax is what is being cheered and those aren't designed around theatre patrons.

Deleted member 4179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have been livid if this had happened at either of the showings I attended. I didn't pay $50 to listen to YOU. Unreal that this is now socially acceptable. Might as well not even turn down the house lights anymore. Take out the seats. Just let everyone walk around and mingle, chat about the movie or the weather, or whatever. Just pure insanity.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone that's been a part of some creative effort, in particular gaming or film live for these kinds of moments.

Knowing that something that you had a hand in creating is eliciting that kind of visceral response is such an awesome feeling. I'm sure the Russo's and the cast and crew of Infinity War were pleased as punch seeing the reactions to the big moments they created to be just that, big moments. I haven't worked in the film industry, but working in gaming and seeing people reacting with joy and excitement for something I worked on is awesome. Friends of mine who worked in film and television that have been able to sit in a crowd opening weekend of a project they worked on and observe the reactions just makes their day. All that blood, sweat, and tears that goes into producing a piece of entertainment seems worth it in that moment of crowd pleasing explosion.

Sure, they can't be in every theater, and observe every reaction, but I bet videos like this bring a huge smile to their faces.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually making me smile to see people so bent out of shape at other people's joy.