• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of what was supposed to be a crowd-pleaser of a line in the new Halloween that nobody can hear because people are still cheering after the line that came right before.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/24...ine-that-many-audience-members-cant-even-hear

From the director:
I'll tell you an interesting thing ... it's about editing and test screenings. Test screenings are beautiful because you can know how to move things around for those types of audience responses. But I'd never tested that line because I thought it was like, 'Oh, is that too much?' And then the last change we made in our picture cutting was to add that line back in. Then the result is that you don't hear it because we put it in the wrong place. It's got its own charm as obviously people will watch the movie in different environments without necessarily a ruckus. It's in there.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that scene is very hype inducing.
Watched twice and still get the same reaction.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I remember a lot of cheering at a midnight showing of Return of the King.

But I think the biggest cheer I ever heard in a theater was during The Dark Knight after the chase scene and Gordon reveals that he's alive and arrests Joker.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
I figure if I'm going to see a comic book movie opening weekend, or most of the time opening day I expect the crowd to just be hype as fuck. It's an atmosphere I enjoy and like. I usually watch it in IMAX so the sound is so bombastic that cheering isn't really going to drown out anything.

It is just fun and it can be contagious, all these people feeling joy for something I love, its just powerful thing so I never go.....man, can these people shut up?....Right there with them going Fuck yeah, that was great.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I figure if I'm going to see a comic book movie opening weekend, or most of the time opening day I expect the crowd to just be hype as fuck. It's an atmosphere I enjoy and like. I usually watch it in IMAX so the sound is so bombastic that cheering isn't really going to drown out anything.

It is just fun and it can be contagious, all these people feeling joy for something I love, its just powerful thing so I never go.....man, can these people shut up?....Right there with them going Fuck yeah, that was great.
I've gone to plenty opening night/weekend releases for MCU films and others, and I have never seen anything remotely close to what is happening in that video. Yes there's laughs, and snickers, and what have you. But for an entire theatre room to erupt the way they do in the video? Yeah that's fucking annoying as hell, and luckily it isn't something that I've encountered.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
This.

A few of those clips you couldnt even hear the movie. Fuck that.
if you notice, nobody says anything for like 10 seconds when thor first touches down

the movie stops and thor just stands there for a bit, then they cut to a few characters looking at him

it's almost as though the movie is paced to allow for cheers at the moment that people are cheering

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
if you notice, nobody says anything for like 10 seconds when thor first touches down

the movie stops and thor just stands there for a bit, then they cut to a few characters looking at him

it's almost as though the movie is paced to allow for cheers at the moment that people are cheering
Or... the shot lingers? Big entrances is a thing that's been around for a while, it doesn't mean, "start howling like a maniac".

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Or... the shot lingers? Big entrances is a thing that's been around for a while, it doesn't mean, "start howling like a maniac".
it means people have been reacting emotionally to movies since there have been movies, and to suddenly act like people who cheer when something exciting happens onscreen are committing crimes against humanity is patently ridiculous

also shots don't linger for no reason

like anything else in a movie, it's built to elicit a reaction

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Man y'all getting bent out of shape for like ~10 seconds of cheering on a nearly 3 hour film. Like marvel movies have some articulate plot keen on listening to every word when this one moment in particular had them standing with a rotating shot and no other words we spoken other than "Bring me Thanos!"

y'all better see a matinee as if any hype shit is going down in cheering! Hell if I don't see you cheering on going to run over to you and woot in your face!!!

...And sincerely apologize then run away :p

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Im of the opinion that any voluntary noise as a reaction to watching a movie is cringey and stupid on multiple levels. I definitely grin like an idiot at scenes like that and might let out a little joyful laugh to myself at the spectacle, but actual hollering and whooping and clapping, oh man the clapping... just no.

Theyre actors on a screen, they cant hear you, why are you clapping? No one around you needs to know youre so excited about a CGI that you literally cant control your bodily functions. And if the argument is that you can and you still choose too, that's even all the more embarrassing.

But on the other hand, if I choose to go into a midnight premiere of a Marvel movie, I know what's expected of that crowd in that context, so Im not gonna get bent out of shape for how people react to that.

Still, people clapping at the end of movies will never not come across as really gauche to me.

Last edited:

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said "Nice!", maybe loud enough for my fiancee to hear me while sitting right next to me. That's about as loud as my theater got, lol.

I mean, you knew it was coming, it wasn't a surprise. I honestly think some people get surprised by moments like this in movies, and wonder if most people have no common sense or ability to read foreshadowing.

The only movies I've been to where people get loud/excited are Star Wars movies. Yet to see it in a Marvel movie showing, out of a couple random laughs or shouts.
Oof. People are excited that their favourite character is turning the tide, not that the rug was pulled from under them. Is this a serious comment?

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I went to the TFA midnight showing when that came out and I think the only noise made was a polite clapping during the opening fanfare.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
One of the most hype scenes in recent blockbuster history, yep, and I loved all the cheering at the midnight screening at my local cinema.

HotTakeCakes

Alt account
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Reading
No I am the guy that has self control and can genuinely have a blast at a movie while maintaining my maturity and respect for those around me.

That's the key difference. These people don't have respect or self control in the moment when their hedonistic whims are tickled.. they throw all courtesy and control out the moment adn just act however they wanna act... it's really sad and disappointing.

But the people around you are having fun. If it was 1 or 2 guys doing peoples head in then I'd agree with you.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
The most I've ever heard in a UK cinema is a mild murmur from the crowd when something exciting happens, and a gentle chuckle when something funny happens.

Having the entire cinema whooping and clapping would be incredibly irritating. Shut up I'm trying to listen to what's happening.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
it means people have been reacting emotionally to movies since there have been movies, and to suddenly act like people who cheer when something exciting happens onscreen are committing crimes against humanity is patently ridiculous

Its a hero shot.
Screaming does not happen here.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The most I've ever heard in a UK cinema is a mild murmur from the crowd when something exciting happens, and a gentle chuckle when something funny happens.

Having the entire cinema whooping and clapping would be incredibly irritating. Shut up I'm trying to listen to what's happening.

As a Swede, I agree with this.

Loud hollering in a cinema is an alien American concept to me.

Much like plain Swedish cheese sandwiches are to Americans. 😄

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Are people not allowed to laugh at comedies too? Some of yall are nofunpolice.jpg like crazy and it's blowing my mind.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No it's not, this video isn't from America.

A👏🏻LITTLE👏🏻LOUDER👏🏻FOR👏🏻PEOPLE👏🏻IN👏🏻THE👏🏻BACK👏🏻

Fuck me just watched the scene again on YouTube. That whole scene is just so well-timed. Even the small things like him catching the axe right as the theme kicks in was just fantastic. I got chills just watching it in my house on my phone! Also "I am Steve Rogers" 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
surprisingly happened in my screening (UK). Although it was an early IMAX screening so would have been full of hard core fans.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course people will be happy with such moments and anyone being annoyed at people enjoying a movie together in the cinema should stop going to the cinema if these 5 seconds ruin the movie for you.

Its an US specific thing. Nobody Germany does that. Everyone is quiet (laughter is allowed tho).

Having seen Infinity War last year in Germany and Captain Marvel last weekend...this is absolutely not true at all. Just go to Youtube and there you also have German reactions to that scene.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate this shit at movie theatres. I don't go opening weekends to avoid this.

People comparing this to comedies and laughing, it's not the same. Getting up, cheering, clapping and yelling during the movie is pretty damn annoying.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
This scene makes me emotional every time I see it, and I have no history of Marvel fandom prior to the movies. Thor's arc in the movie is genuinely good, but the scene doesn't work without everything they've built over all these movies.

HotTakeCakes

Alt account
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Reading
That is different, this is restraint.

It isn't different at all. We all go through different emotions depending on what's happening on the screen. A sad scene could make us cry, a funny scene can make us laugh, a shock scene can make us jump and an awesome scene can make us cheer. One of the main reasons to movie making is to entertain one way or another and ilicit some kind of response.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
It isn't different at all. We all go through different emotions depending on what's happening on the screen. A sad scene could make us cry, a funny scene can make us laugh, a shock scene can make us jump and an awesome scene can make us cheer. One of the main reasons to movie making is to entertain one way or another and ilicit some kind of response.
A laugh is involuntary, whooping and shouting is not that.
If it was it would happen worldwide

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone broke into cheers at this part when I watched this on opening day last year. My favorite part of the movie.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I wouldn't say laughing is completely involuntary. Emotions aren't binary. Having a room full of people laugh also makes you laugh too. It's definately a cultural thing. In the UK we don't even have clapping for crying out loud.
I am in the UK thats why I am pitching it.
I disagree on the whole room bit, did not work for me on Sausage party.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No I am the guy that has self control and can genuinely have a blast at a movie while maintaining my maturity and respect for those around me.

That's the key difference. These people don't have respect or self control in the moment when their hedonistic whims are tickled.. they throw all courtesy and control out the moment adn just act however they wanna act... it's really sad and disappointing.
You sound like a crazy person.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tbh I don't remember much about the movie, I enjoyed it but it was quite forgettable just like the rest of the mcu... but was it a shocking moment to some? I don't remember what happened to make people think Thor wouldn't be there. Also when I saw it I don't remember anyone in the crowd screaming and yelling. Seems ridiculous.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

People can react quietly. It doesn't make it OK. That's like saying blasting music is OK at midnight since people have been doing it since midnight was defined.

Well, yeah, shots linger for a reason. My statement didn't imply they do not.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This thread makes me happy :)

I hold the opinion that hyperactive and involved crowds always make the theater going experience better, and I've gotten a lot of flak for that online. Seeing people express similar sentiment is very comforting, even though going to theaters it's really easy to see others feel similarly to me!

MORE crowd reactions are always welcome!

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It's good, but the best I ever heard was Han Solo and Chewie walking onto the Falcon in TFA.

The theater I was in fucking EXPLODED when they showed up.

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
I WISH my theater would have reacted this way when Thor showed up. Dead ass crowd. I never get the hype showing, even on an opening night.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is great. I love it for two reasons: I, too, think it's a great moment, but I also know that people making any sound during a movie drives some people on this forum mad. Lol

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Balance is best. If people are screaming the whole movie, that's awful. If a whole theater is totally silent during an Avengers movie, that is also awful.

A crowd who knows when to laugh and cheer and mark out appropriately is going to be the best crowd for this type of movie.

This scene is the climax of a geeky pop culture movie and if you're one of those people resentful of others cheering during a scene you're supposed to cheer during, then do the fun, well-adjusted people in society a favor and stay home.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Im of the opinion that any voluntary noise as a reaction to watching a movie is cringey and stupid on multiple levels. I definitely grin like an idiot at scenes like that and might let out a little joyful laugh to myself at the spectacle, but actual hollering and whooping and clapping, oh man the clapping... just no.

Theyre actors on a screen, they cant hear you, why are you clapping? No one around you needs to know youre so excited about a CGI that you literally cant control your bodily functions. And if the argument is that you can and you still choose too, that's even all the more embarrassing.

But on the other hand, if I choose to go into a midnight premiere of a Marvel movie, I know what's expected of that crowd in that context, so Im not gonna get bent out of shape for how people react to that.

Still, people clapping at the end of movies will never not come across as really gauche to me.

Its spontaneous show of emotion. I mean I sit at home watching a basketball game and I cheer and talk at the TV, how does that make it any different than this? Cause its live? Doesn't matter they can't here me through the TV. Both are the same because in both cases I have an emotional investment in the outcome.

Clapping at the end of a movie is simply a reaction to a well executed piece of art and the audience is simply showing a little respect for the creators.