• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
A ton of you are missing that this is likely from one of the first showings of this movie where the more excited fans are having fun watching the movie with a big group of fans. It's a part of the atmosphere of a highly-hyped movie premiere. If you don't want to be a part of that, wait a week and then go see it you anti-fun dips.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this moment is great and it's a lot of fun seeing people's enthusiastic reaction to seeing it happen for the first time. The build up makes it so earned in the film.

I'm personally not the type to clap and cheer at a film and I see all these Marvel films opening day and multiple times while in theaters. My first reaction is filled with some laughing and gasps and what not, but that's usually about the extent of it for me. If others have a reaction to movies, I welcome it, regardless of what it is. Even in a movie I'm not on the same page as other people, just to see a film illicit a genuine reaction is a great part of a film going experience for me in the theaters.

I don't like people talking throughout a movie (although in the right context it could be fine, I personally like talking shit watching a movie with some friends at home), but I think there is difference between that and people just emoting in reaction to what they are seeing, since the latter is what a filmmaker hopes to illicit, regardless if they are feeling it internally or yelling out loud in reaction to what is happening.

Some people really sound miserable if they think any kind of reactions shouldn't happen in a theater at all.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
A ton of you are missing that this is likely from one of the first showings of this movie where the more excited fans are having fun watching the movie with a big group of fans. It's a part of the atmosphere of a highly-hyped movie premiere. If you don't want to be a part of that, wait a week and then go see it you anti-fun dips.
Been to several opening screenings with people dressed up and all sorts.

There have been cheers, shouts of "YES!" and suchlike. Never have I heard howling like that though.

But then, UK here.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This scene was the most hype, never gets old.

Spider-Man dusting also never fails to make me tear up. Tom really sold it.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
People in this thread acting like we're whooping and hollering at the little girl brandishing her red coat in Schindler's List.

Context, people. Thor. Rabbit. Silvestri.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's things like this that are why I'm buying the opening night 'fan' screening no matter what the cost. I can always (And will) go back and see what I missed.

These movies are often referred to as "crowd-pleasers". You shouldn't go see a crowd-pleaser if you are upset when the crowd is pleased. Cheering for a hype scene is not a negative experience.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to screenings a decade from now, when hyped audiences react to their Marvel heroes triumphing by dumping kegs of Gatorade over each other, then accuse the perturbed of being Debbie Downers who shouldn't be at opening night screenings if they didn't want to bask in outpouring of emotions of a pleased crowd.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
can you guys imagine what the Russos have cooked up for Endgame

I look forward to screenings a decade from now, when hyped audiences react to their Marvel heroes triumphing by dumping kegs of Gatorade over each other, then accuse the perturbed of being Debbie Downers who shouldn't be at opening night screenings if they didn't want to bask in outpouring of emotions of a pleased crowd.

in a decade you'll be able to day one stream the movie for $80 or whatever so i wouldn't worry too much

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the people in this thread complaining about people cheering will still go see End Game opening weekend? They're going knowing full well what will happen so it really is their own fault that they put themselves in a situation that they know what will happen.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the people in this thread complaining about people cheering will still go see End Game opening weekend? They're going knowing full well what will happen so it really is their own fault that they put themselves in a situation that they know what will happen.

I might go see it opening weekend since it's not custom here to yell like crazy people at actors being projected on a screen, thank fuck for that.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
I can't think of a scene in recent memory that has illicited as big a crowd reaction as this moment in Infinity War. And seeing these videos from various countries across the globe showed me that it's not just us crazy Americans that hoot and holler at the cinema screen. What an incredible crowd pleasing moment. It's like a friggin rock concert lol

This why I don't go to the cinema.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I've ever been to a movie where the crowd cheered. Closest has been a re-showing of Grease in which a small group sang along to every song.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I go to the cinema.

I'm not screaming with them, but it is fun to be in a crowd of people opening night excited-as-fuck for this shit.
This is me.

I rarely show emotions or if I do its subdued. But this scene and going to Black Panther was amazing.

I regret not seeing The Matrix 1 in theaters. When Neo became The One is also one of the hypest moments I've ever seen.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I respect and understand your choice but I have one question, do you rewatch after a couple of days in order have a more peaceful/immersive experience?
No? I don't need to. It's not like I can't hear what is happening 90% of the movie because people are hooting and screaming. Hell, I rewatched the movie 3 weeks after it came out in theaters, and this moment still got a cheer.

This moment is deliberately weaved into the structure and pacing of the film to be a major hype moment - one loaded with so much build-up and catharsis, and the filmmakers know it. From how little dialogue follows it beyond a toss-off remark from Banner, to how triumphantly the music swells. It's the first time the Avengers theme plays in full-glory in this entire movie beyond a quick hit on the title card, and the various times it's briefly bumped up against throughout the film. The filmmakers know exactly what they're doing with this moment.

Probably the second biggest cheer the movie got was when Cap arrived, and even then, it's built into the film to allow the crowd to be excited about it.

Jul 18, 2018
When i was younger, say when they had Closed Screening for the movie 300, all the cheering and shit was great. Just being rowdy with others for sake of...
As i have gotten older, it's just not something i fancy. I try to not go to these fandom flicks on first couple weeks.

Lately with T-Mobile free/$5 tickets, i used to to see The Last Jedi, unfortunately only could be used that opening week/weekend, and the scene where everything goes black (ramming see), everyone went ape shit. Kind of lost the charm of that scene for me.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
So many
No? I don't need to. It's not like I can't hear what is happening 90% of the movie because people are hooting and screaming. Hell, I rewatched the movie 3 weeks after it came out in theaters, and this moment still got a cheer.

This moment is deliberately weaved into the structure and pacing of the film to be a major hype moment - one loaded with so much build-up and catharsis, and the filmmakers know it. From how little dialogue follows it beyond a toss-off remark from Banner, to how triumphantly the music swells. It's the first time the Avengers theme plays in full-glory in this entire movie beyond a quick hit on the title card, and the various times it's briefly bumped up against throughout the film. The filmmakers know exactly what they're doing with this moment.

Probably the second biggest cheer the movie got was when Cap arrived, and even then, it's built into the film to allow the crowd to be excited about it.
Ok?

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
Normally I'm an Alamo Drafthouse shut-up-and-watch-the-movie type, but being with a hype crowd can be an amazing experience.
Yeah, the cheering might drown out some dialog, but these movies are going to exist forever, and you can probably catch a different showing or wait for the hone release. Going in blind with an excited crowd and getting everyone's honest reaction to exciting moments is something that can only happen for a short while.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
You sound like a crazy person.

Speak for yourself, thanks.

I simply have respect and basic human decency in movie theaters. If that makes you resort to calling me a crazy person then I believe that that speaks volumes about you. Hopefully you are joking thoug hand aren't actually the person you are painting yourself out to be.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speak for yourself, thanks.

I simply have respect and basic human decency in movie theaters. If that makes you resort to calling me a crazy person then I believe that that speaks volumes about you. Hopefully you are joking thoug hand aren't actually the person you are painting yourself out to be.

You sound crazy for posting a page-long exposé on the human condition because some people cheered at a movie part on opening night that was designed to elicit that response. It's not disrespectful or childish or anything like you said when the environment is appropriate, which these clips were.

Your tone is a "holier than thou" one with a lot of of snarky "I'm a decent human being and these people aren't" innuendo.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
You sound crazy for posting a page-long exposé on the human condition because some people cheered at a movie part on opening night that was designed to elicit that response. It's not disrespectful or childish or anything like you said when the environment is appropriate, which these clips were.

Your tone is a "holier than thou" one with a lot of of snarky "I'm a decent human being and these people aren't" innuendo.

Sometimes for the facts to come out it requires responses based in logic and reality, it's truly as simple as that. I did not say those people aren't decent people.. I'm simply saying those that respect those around them are *more* decent. Simple as that and an indisputable fact.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes for the facts to come out it requires responses based in logic and reality, it's truly as simple as that. I did not say those people aren't decent people.. I'm simply saying those that respect those around them are *more* decent. Simple as that and an indisputable fact.

What if *NO ONE* there cares?

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The crowd I was in on opening weekend was loud as hell too. I loved it. It was a hype moment and everyone got hyped.

I saw it again in 2D imax and that crowd was quiet, which was nice for a second viewing.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Glad Indian theatre videos were posted. Pretty sure I saw a drone in one video a while ago lol.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Been to several opening screenings with people dressed up and all sorts.

There have been cheers, shouts of "YES!" and suchlike. Never have I heard howling like that though.

But then, UK here.

Yeah, same. It's not like there's stoic silence during these moments, the crowd are audibly enjoying it, but it might be a smattering of clapping and a short whoop or whistle here and there, not howling and screaming endlessly.
I get hype as fuck (internally) during these films but these people are losing their minds.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
That is honestly one of the most hype things to ever happen in a movie. Like, legit goosebumps and pure joy watching it.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
"going knowing full well what will happen". Nerds do this at showings pretty much until the movie theatre is practically dead. A lot of the takes spewed or hollered throughout don't disappear after opening weekend.

But hey, let's just laugh at folks who want to enjoy a movie in peace because y'all want to scream at the screen like jerks while you complain about a tiny phone light, loud chewing, coughing, etc. Y'all want to be able to disrupt people's experiences while simultaneously wanting people to be quiet when it inconveniences you. At least be consistent.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of times silence is golden but sometimes a theater's reaction can really make a moment special that you will never forget.

I remember at the end of episode 7 on opening night. When Luke took off his hood, the theater went up for grabs. It was really special.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
People are actually pissed about this?

I didn't know people reacted like this in theaters to Marvel movies, but from what I gather it seems like a cultural thing. Most of those showings seemingly weren't in the US or weren't in English-speaking countries. I don't know how people in other countries typically act in movie theaters or what the norms are outside the US, but if that's how they act then who am I to judge?

If this was happening in the US (where people tend to be pretty quiet in movie theaters, rarely even clapping at the end of a movie), then, well, it's a Marvel movie dude.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Could have been better. I don't like his line, and Immigrant Song should have played. Pretty good though.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This is one of those 'weird American things' that thankfully doesn't happen in Australia.

I'm not asking or expecting dead silence, either. Everyone laughs at the jokes and gasped when heroes started dusting, but clapping and hollering is just odd.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Rewatching this movie yesterday, I was able to confirm that, yes this is a very cool moment and by far one of the best scenes of the entire movie. It brings a smile to my face to see this scene.

But watching it in a theater at midnight on release day, I couldn't help but be embarrassed by the hooting and hollering. I'm fine with thinking a thing is cool, but cheering at fan service in a theater just makes me cringe. I had the same reaction to the tears and gasps at the film's conclusion. I don't normally have an issue with myself or others being personally affected by art, but for some reason it just feels hollow and disingenuous to me when it's presented in the context of a Marvel movie.

I will probably be watching Endgame a few days late as a result.