• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
My local Sci-Fi convention has regular screening events for new comic book movies. I go to them SPECIFICALLY cause the crowd is like this. It's super fun, and we know when to stay quiet, and when to bring down the house :)

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching this movie yesterday, I was able to confirm that, yes this is a very cool moment and by far one of the best scenes of the entire movie. It brings a smile to my face to see this scene.

But watching it in a theater at midnight on release day, I couldn't help but be embarrassed by the hooting and hollering. I'm fine with thinking a thing is cool, but cheering at fan service in a theater just makes me cringe. I had the same reaction to the tears and gasps at the film's conclusion. I don't normally have an issue with myself or others being personally affected by art, but for some reason it just feels hollow and disingenuous to me when it's presented in the context of a Marvel movie.

I will probably be watching Endgame a few days late as a result.
Why is it disingenuous for marvel movies? Millions of people have been with these characters for over a decade, and have grown with them. You make it sound like it's someone crying at like bayformers or something. Some people just have some unreasonable hate for the mcu for no reason.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
ERA movie logic
Using your phone during a movie : Punishable by death
Literally screaming and yelling: Endearing and cool
Using a phone isn't a response to the events taking place in a film. Yelling can be. People in theaters can scream when something scary happens. They can cry when something sad happens. Why shouldn't they cheer when something amazing happens?

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Yea, totally comparable to have what a new movie at the time to a decade worth of build up of characters.

I think you're reading the wrong thing from that post. The poster is likely in agreeance with you; they're just showing that this isn't some MAHVEL millennial thing, but natural reactions from regular human beings when they're engrossed in cinema such as this.

People have been screaming, laughing, and cheering in theaters since the silent age. Marvel might be the franchise to really earn it though as you said in your next post - people have gotten to know these characters over the course of a decade. It does add a little extra sauce to the more standard "big damn hero" moments that are popular everywhere.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea how some of you manage to have fun.

People are allowed to react to a film when they watch it. It's literally the point of going to the cinema.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're reading the wrong thing from that post. The poster is likely in agreeance with you; they're just showing that this isn't some MAHVEL millennial thing, but natural reactions from regular human beings when they're engrossed in cinema such as this.

People have been screaming, laughing, and cheering in theaters since the silent age. Marvel might be the franchise to really earn it though as you said in your next post - people have gotten to know these characters over the course of a decade. It does add a little extra sauce to the more standard "big damn hero" moments that are popular everywhere.
Well yea, I thought they were saying because people were clapping, but not cheering. To attack people cheering specifically made applause moments is ironic with people calling people who cheer disingenuous. It's just so obvious who irrationally hates the mcu because they don't think its earned the mega popularity it has. Do people cheering during a part with just the blaring avengers theme have the movie ruined for them? They make it seem like people are doing it during the climax of the godfather or something.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
There were a few people that did that shit at my showing and it annoyed me to no end. All theaters should follow the golden theater rule. You can laugh at funny parts, but any other sound means your ass gets kicked out.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Why is it disingenuous for marvel movies? Millions of people have been with these characters for over a decade, and have grown with them. You make it sound like it's someone crying at like bayformers or something. Some people just have some unreasonable hate for the mcu for no reason.
To be clear, I don't hate the MCU. I've seen every movie outside of Captain Marvel (I'm saving it until I can meet with a friend) and I have almost exclusively enjoyed them. Though, to be fair, I don't think there's as huge a gulf between crying at Transformers and crying at Infinity War as you imply. I grew up with the MCU. They have been a central part of my cultural/filmic education they are a regular fixture of social interactions. I can remember rabidly discussing Iron Man with my friends in middle school. But I still don't jive with the fanaticism that surrounds them.

I haven'f fully processed why it feels disingenuous to me with regard to Marvel as opposed to other films. Honestly, the only reason why I qualified my statement so that it included only Marvel movies was because I remember how much I loved the audience reactions in my viewing of "Get Out." Perhaps that film was simply the exception to my rule, rather than the embodiment of the rule itself.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Lol love how some people here think it's just an American thing. Meanwhile the video in the OP is in many languages.

People here in Puerto Rico lost their shit in that scene.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to forums I like to tell people to go out more and meet other actual people because it's a better experience in comparison to online...
but some of y'all need to stay the fuck in. Away from people who actually like to have fun and have no shame about expressing themselves.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, I don't hate the MCU. I've seen every movie outside of Captain Marvel (I'm saving it until I can meet with a friend) and I have almost exclusively enjoyed them. Though, to be fair, I don't think there's as huge a gulf between crying at Transformers and crying at Infinity War as you imply. I grew up with the MCU. They have been a central part of my cultural/filmic education they are a regular fixture of social interactions. I can remember rabidly discussing Iron Man with my friends in middle school. But I still don't jive with the fanaticism that surrounds them.

I haven'f fully processed why it feels disingenuous to me with regard to Marvel as opposed to other films. Honestly, the only reason why I qualified my statement so that it included only Marvel movies was because I remember how much I loved the audience reactions in my viewing of "Get Out." Perhaps that film was simply the exception to my rule, rather than the embodiment of the rule itself.
The fanaticism surrounds them because it's a cinematic universe that has actually worked out great, for over a decade. There hasn't been anything like this.

Scissors611

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I must be the only person that thinks these movies are just rushed cash grabs... This is getting to Star Wars level of absurdity.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
The fanaticism surrounds them because it's a cinematic universe that has actually worked out great, for over a decade. There hasn't been anything like this.
Once again, I have been unclear in my terminology. I understand why the films are popular. I agree that it is an unprecedented feat. I just do not find myself to be in the same mindset as the contingent of fans who find it necessary to cheer for expected plot developments in a film.

I suppose I'm just disappointed/concerned by how efficient the franchise has been at wrapping its audience around its finger, because that speaks to the indoctrination (not the most correct word, but close enough) possible under capitalist systems/art created in these contexts. But that's a whole other rabbit hole that I'm going to have to think about on my own time.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I went opening night and my theatre pretty much marked out everytime a hero came onscreen for the first time. People in particular went apeshit for Cap walking out of the shadow and the first shot of Wakanda. EDIT oh yeah how could I forget, people lose their shit when Tony's 'nano-suited' up the first time.

Last edited:

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
And obviously you know the context every single time when somebody looks at their phone, right?

Yes, to spell it out:

Looking at phone: a selfish action that detracts from the collective experience.

Sincere cheering at the right point in a film that's designed to get the audience to pop off: adds to the collective experience.

There is NO context in which looking at your phone is anything but a selfish act.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, to spell it out:

Looking at phone: a selfish action that detracts from the collective experience.

Sincere cheering at the right point in a film that's designed to get the audience to pop off: adds to the collective experience.

There is NO context in which looking at your phone is anything but a selfish act.
That's not for you to decide.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
My god, shut the hell up and let me enjoy my movie.
This is a benifit of British people, well at least in my city.

tAgBSSo.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Give me an example where someone looking at their phone benefits the rest of the audience.
Somebody looking at their phone is less distracting than somebody - even if it's just one person - flat out yelling and screaming
This idea that this "benefits the audience" is ludicrous. Some people maybe enjoy it, for others it flat out ruins a scene.
Is this behavior only okay if it's a Marvel movie? Like when I watch, I dunno, Roma and suddenly start howling because I think a scene is great is that also beneficial to the audience?

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody looking at their phone is less distracting than somebody - even if it's just one person - flat out yelling and screaming
This idea that this "benefits the audience" is ludicrous. Some people maybe enjoy it, for others it flat out ruins a scene.
Is this behavior only okay if it's a Marvel movie? Like when I watch, I dunno, Roma and suddenly start howling because I think a scene is great is that also beneficial to the audience?

Ok, so, you're conceding the point that the phone looking is always a individual-focused act rather than a collective one? Good.

Where's the pop off moment in Roma?

You're being disingenuous to even bring up Roma. This is about popular crowd pleasing action, horror and comedy blockbusters on opening night, not art house dramas.

"Flat out yelling and screaming" like in the op only happens organically in places where that's just how it is. And if it's one person and not the crowd, then yes, it's distracting and bad. But, again, it all comes down to context.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
That's not for you to decide.

Nor you.

Is there a sign on the theatre that says "Silence Please?" or "No Talking During the Show?" Not in any theatre that I've visited. But there's always "please put away your cellphones" PSAs before the showing.

Theatres are public arenas, which means when you attend you are subject to how the public reacts. One person over-reacting to what's happening on screen or whipping out their cellphone to text is annoying because it's going against what the rest of the audience is doing. A group of people cheering at a heroic entrance or screaming at a jump scare is normalized because those are expected reactions in the moment.

It IS the same context as sports arenas or concerts, period. And it also varies wildly depending on cultural context - don't get mad if you're a Brit watching a DBZ movie in Latin America and the crowd tears the roof down. YOU'RE the outsider.

Oct 25, 2017
It IS the same context as sports arenas or concerts, period. And it also varies wildly depending on cultural context - don't get mad if you're a Brit watching a DBZ movie in Latin America and the crowd tears the roof down. YOU'RE the outsider.

Yeah, entering a dark place to watch how music and visual interact is totally the same place as going to a stadium, you are right.

I also have no idea where this "If you are a brit and you watch a DBZ movie in Latin America" scenario is coming from. Sure, if everybody does it all the time, whatever. I'm talking about my own personal life not some Brit watching a DBZ movie in Latin America.
And thankfully where I'm from people respect other people's experience enough to not scream and yell cause they think something is awesome.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Fun is allowed, just don't spoil the fun for other people by acting like an insane person, I really do not understand this behavior and thankfully I have never experienced this level of absurdity in the cinema here in Denmark.
Yep, that's the crux here.
You are in public with people who have paid to see the movie, act accordingly.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
I won't hate if people have real reactions, but honestly couldn't remember this scene and that it was supposed to be hype.
We knew he was coming right?

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
My screening didn't go nuts, but when Thor appears there are a lot of people who whispered excitedly and threw comments around like "god I love this movie so much"

My screening reacted the loudest to the ending. When Thanos sits down and smiles, the credits starting, people let out an audible gasp of disbelief. One girl loudly said "this can't be the end, can it? Heroes normally win"

Oct 28, 2017
California
Scene was awesome and what made itt better in my screening was everyone's reaction. IW, especially Thor's entrance scene, was a fun, shared experience.

Oh and in Captain Marvel

In the beginning, the Stan Lee tribute when the screen read "Thank You Stan", I clapped along with the crowd, but here on Era there's a weird hang up about clapping during movies which I don't get.

Nov 10, 2017
I love it when an audience reacts in a theater. Provides a great experience different from Netflix. Also love comedies in theaters as laughing is contagious

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
everything about this

i could cry i'm so happy

i do hope they are talking to more actors than just Chopra though

I do wonder how what the reaction from India would be if the first MCU superhero from South Asia is a Pakistani American woman. I mean, Chopra had to apologise for the Quantico plot line. They would probably cast someone much younger than Chopra for that role though.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I do wonder how what the reaction from India would be if the first MCU superhero from South Asia is a Pakistani American woman. I mean, Chopra had to apologise for the Quantico plot line. They would probably cast someone much younger than Chopra for that role though.

if they understand their audience there, they will 100% make a Hindu Indian or Sri Lankan hero/mutant as well as Kamala

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017