• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
I scored a pretty great pick up today, and it reminded me of the rush you get when you really find a great game at a great price. It makes you feel like you beat the system or something. Some recent examples for me are Silent Hill Shattered Memories PS2 or G Darius for PS1 that I got for just a buck or two. The big one today though is kind of blowing my mind.

I saw last night a local Facebook posting for all these Sega Saturn games. A roommate moved out and left their stuff and she was just trying to get rid of it. They wanted $125. I offered $110 and they accepted. I picked them up just an hour ago. What I found was 21 CIB Saturn games and 6 loose games including some uncommon titles like Die Hard Arcade, In The Hunt, Dark Savior and Darius Gaiden. There was even a sealed Shanghai Triple Threat.

The best part is I only owned 1 of these titles already. I have more than doubled my Saturn collection, in 2018, for $110.

What are some examples of gaming pickups you have made in the past that defied logic?

2013 kia soul 0 60

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
My €7,50 Power Blade 2 with mint manual comes to mind. In the condition it's in it's worth about €500,-

I actually have a lot of similar deals. How about €,5- for Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and I think the same price for Radiant Dawn.
If birthday gifts count: A free Panzer Dragoon Saga, Guardian Heroes, Shining Force 3, Shining Wisdom, Shining the Holy Ark and Breath of Fire II for free.
Tomba! for €3,- (no manual though) in a pawn shop.
Gargoyle's Quest 2 for €7,50
Bought a bag full of N64 makes for €50,- I was able to put a few I didnlt own yet in my own collection and I sold off the doubles on the same day to different people for a decent profit by way of a happy accident (they just happened to stop by my work and see the bag of games in the background), so in the end I basically got a bunch of boxed N64 games for free and I made some money too.
Not exactly cheap, but I bit the bullet on buying Earthbound about 13 years ago for €200,- A lot of money especially at the time but it turned out to be a great deal. My copy is in near-pristine condition, box, players guide and all. I've seen similar copies go for €800,-

Honestly the list goes on. Not bragging or anything...

Not that I would ever sell any of it; games and collecting are my main hobbies. I like knowing I got a good deal and kowing something's worth a lot, but I'm not in it for the profit.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Darius Gaiden is a masterpiece, I hope you play it soon.

Honestly, a bunch of hauls I had were pretty good. I got to go to Japan several times in the early 00s, before the inflation of the internet and before shops priced to western eBay levels, and boy did I find some shit I'll never ever find again. I'd probably guess the most notable find was paying less than $40 for a copy of SD Snatcher.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
That's a nice haul

I assume Die Hard Arcade is the same as the one that I played in an arcade cabinet each time I went to the movies. I loved that game.

OP
OP
DigitalDevil

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I would ever sell any of it; games and collecting are my main hobbies. I like knowing I got a good deal and kowing something's worth a lot, but I'm not in it for the profit.

This is the exact way I feel. I get a lot of satisfaction knowing a game is worth a lot, especially if I didn't pay much for it. I would never sell them though, so it's real value is only what I give it.

Darius Gaiden is a masterpiece, I hope you play it soon.

Honestly, a bunch of hauls I had were pretty good. I got to go to Japan several times in the early 00s, before the inflation of the internet and before shops priced to western eBay levels, and boy did I find some shit I'll never ever find again. I'd probably guess the most notable find was paying less than $40 for a copy of SD Snatcher.

I will be playing Darius Gaiden today! Having fun with Nights at the moment. I've had the 3D controller for years but this is my first time playing Nights since it released.

I have the Japanese version of Snatcher on Saturn. I had the CD version years ago. Sold it at a garage sale in 1999 for $5.

I guess I gave someone else that mega pick up story!! Regret it to this day.

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
So two years ago, I found Cubivore in a book sale for $2. Can we get a pic of that?

img_01782z7y9d.jpg

Great! Thing is, this was during the free sale, and not the earlier preview sale, which required, and I swear I am not making this up, a fee to get in. So I said to myself "self, if this is what the dealers are leaving behind, what the hell are they picking up?"

So 2017 rolls around, and I decide I'm going to pony up for the preview sale...but all tickets were sold out. No, I'm not making this up--this book sale is so fucking hardcore, the preview sale requires tickets to get in.

2018, I'm checking the site every day to see when they'd the site with this year's sale details...and then, one day, it happened! And they cranked up the entry fee to $60. Not including the $20 library membership fee.

But then I said "Self, $80 sounds bad, but due to your imminent, uh, change of employer, we may not have mornings off anymore to traipse around the countryside for weird shit. Let's just do it and be legends, man." So I paid up, showed up, and as it turned out, $80...was kind of OK.

img_0680_2tri5x.jpg

img_0793_2yoe2s.jpg

If I've learned anything in life, it's this: New Jersey doesn't give a shit about the GameCube.

Assassin's Creed was a $3 UHD, OK? I'm not made of stone here.