• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Thought Slime is an anarchist video essayist from Canada. This video was spurred on by recent news coming out of the ongoing attempt by TC Energy to build a pipeline through Wet'suwet'en land, intersecting a major river. The RCMP has acted in strict cooperation with the energy company's invasive efforts, going so far as being prepared to shoot protestors and arrest children and the elderly. Wet'suwet'en protestors, and sympathizers acting in solidarity with them, have organized local blockades to obstruct construction as well as national protests.

This would have already been a worthwhile topic to discuss, but I thought it was especially a good way to demonstrate the value of direct action like civil disobediance, particularly when elected officials act in direct opposition to the law and to human rights, particularly the rights of marginalized groups.

Some further reading:
www.theguardian.com

Exclusive: Canada police prepared to shoot Indigenous activists, documents show

Notes from strategy session for raid on Wet’suwet’en nation’s ancestral lands show commanders argued for ‘lethal overwatch’
aptnnews.ca

‘Shut down Canada’: Gidmit’en spokesperson calls for people to take to the streets - APTN News

Support sprang up in different parts of the country. Rallies and round dances broke out in support of the Wet’suwet’en Nation.
aptnnews.ca

Trudeau says protesters must respect rule of law, encourages ‘dialogue’ between parties - APTN News

On Wednesday, Prime Minster Justin Trudeau said protesters must respect the rule of law and encouraged all parties to seek "dialogue."
unistoten.camp

UNIST'OT'EN CAMP — Heal the People, Heal the Land

The Unist'ot'en Camp is a non-violent occupation of Unceded Unist´ot´en territory. FPIC is conducted with visitors to show our complete jurisdiction

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, this should teach everyone that the Canadian government is just as violently colonial as the U.S.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Great video about the latest string of abuses dished out by the state and its badged representatives, including literally kidnapping native kids from the families as a reprisal tactic for defending the land. As though it weren't blatant enough to just have "lone actors" in the social services do it so the politicians can have plausible deniability.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many definitions of genocides does this pipeline project fit? You won't believe the answer!

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just realized I posted this on the wrong side. ):

Can a mod please move this? My bad

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
It makes me ill. Especially since elders have already provided an alternative route that was denied.

We were out protesting this week and the support is wonderful.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Thanks for sharing this, will definitely watch this later.

It is shameful what is hapening there for the last few months, glad to see some direct action and people mobilizing against this.

Great reminder to people outside the country that Canada is a settler state and colonialism is very much alive right now.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Power always ask for "dialogue" and "decorum" from those it wants to exploit or abuse. To make their job easier they must beg for non-aggression from the people they want to do violence against. Don't allow them that opportunity. (Please look up Operation Snatch for examples of Canada being in this exact position in regards to children before). I feel like I'm repeating myself often these days but these fights are about human rights and lives. It's not a game and if the government were really interested in "talking things out" and finding "amicable solutions" we wouldn't be at this stage. Strip off the mask and realize that people in power are trying to use it to gain capital and wipe out any opposition. They will do so without mercy and claim it was all necessary in the aftermath before whitewashing the entirety of the context for historical record. If you believe it's the job of politicians and governments to protect people then their actions here aren't just unbecoming but antithetical to civil rights and plain inhuman.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Power always ask for "dialogue" and "decorum" from those it wants to exploit or abuse. To make their job easier they must beg for non-aggression from the people they want to do violence against. Don't allow them that opportunity. (Please look up Operation Snatch for examples of Canada being in this exact position in regards to children before). I feel like I'm repeating myself often these days but these fights are about human rights and lives. It's not a game and if the government were really interested in "talking things out" and finding "amicable solutions" we wouldn't be at this stage. Strip off the mask and realize that people in power are trying to use it to gain capital and wipe out any opposition. They will do so without mercy and claim it was all necessary in the aftermath before whitewashing the entirety of the context for historical record. If you believe it's the job of politicians and governments to protect people then their actions here aren't just unbecoming but antithetical to civil rights and plain inhuman.

Holy hell that link you provided on Operation Snatch is harrowing

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Holy hell that link you provided on Operation Snatch is harrowing
Sadly enough the first place I learned about it was in a podcast called Cults in an episode about the "Sons of Freedom". By the end of their discussion and my research into it after listening it became clear that the government much like today in both Canada and the US, saw the children of the people they were targeting as pawns for oppression and not human beings which led to what was basically systematic & sanctioned abuse. Plotting to kill & arrest indiscriminately is just one more genocidal tool under the guise of maintaining law and order.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The Canadain Government/Corporations have never give a shit about Indigenous people

FboNLtJ.jpg

Hardly the first time this sort of thing has happened.

This is just gonna push more people towards the conservatives too:(

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
FboNLtJ.jpg

Hardly the first time this sort of thing has happened.

This is just gonna push more people towards the conservatives too:(
In the short term? Perhaps, but the colonial, capital powers have given folks no choice, and these situations will only become more common and precarious in the coming years. If they can be swayed, sway them. But the struggle is not something we can avoid.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
In the short term? Perhaps, but the colonial, capital powers have given folks no choice, and these situations will only become more common and precarious in the coming years. If they can be swayed, sway them. But the struggle is not something we can avoid.

No this is going to get much worse and then people will start clamoring for a "strong leader" to take care of things if they aren't already.

Yup. Reconciliation is just a buzzword politicians bring out to spur voters. In reality it means nothing but the continuation of the status quo.

Because a token effort is what a lot of people actually want.

Real reconciliation will take a lot of effort and more importantly a lot of money.

"Government spending hundreds of millions on restitution when they could be spending it on real old stock Canadians???
Time to vote conservative next election!"

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
No this is going to get much worse and then people will start clamoring for a "strong leader" to take care of things if they aren't already.

Real reconciliation will take a lot of effort and more importantly a lot of money.

"Government spending hundreds of millions on restitution when they could be spending it on real old stock Canadians???
That will indeed be a strong impulse, but the fascist upswell won't be happening in isolation. Leftists haven't forgone vigilance and outreach, and more will come.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Awful video that totally overlooks the core conflict at play (the competing legitimacy of the elected Indian Act band councils and the hereditary chiefs). Really lazy stuff.

Oct 26, 2017

I get that. I feel we should do it. Just like America should do reparations.

I know neither is happening in my lifetime because the majority doesn't like facing harsh truths or making sacrifices.

But we could still be doing better than we are.

May 30, 2018
Yep, this should teach everyone that the Canadian government is just as violently colonial as the U.S.

Such a shit take. In no universe are they equally violent ffs

Hmm doubtful tbh, this is a landmine. Only idiot Scheer spoke on this, and he's already getting ripped to shreds for his Privileged comment

I can't imagine someone who didn't already vote Con a couple of months ago would be in favor of going full fascist and removing the protestors by force.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Awful video that totally overlooks the core conflict at play (the competing legitimacy of the elected Indian Act band councils and the hereditary chiefs). Really lazy stuff.
Legally it's the hereditary chiefs who decide what happens on their tribal land. Band councils have no say in this scenario and are not relevant to this conflict.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Legally it's the hereditary chiefs who decide what happens on their tribal land. Band councils have no say in this scenario and are not relevant to this conflict.
Additional context:

It's a legalistic shell-game put on by the government and corporations to cloak the fact that they still fundamentally operate on the basis of stealing land, breaking up families, and persecuting tribes at gunpoint.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Sibylus. I couldn't find an article that really explains "hereditary chiefs" and what the real issues at stake.

I mean I knew there was bullshit on the part of the government and the pipeline company but it's nothing but misinformation in the MSM about this.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
www.macleans.ca

The Wet’suwet’en are more united than pipeline backers want you to think - Macleans.ca

Amber Bracken: The difference between Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs and elected chiefs is rooted in Aboriginal title, an issue that the Government of Canada continues to leave unresolved
Each set of leaders has unique jurisdiction, in the same way that municipal and provincial governments do. The band chiefs, who were imposed by the Indian Act, govern their reserves, while hereditary chiefs predate Canada, and govern the entire Wet'suwet'en territory. It's worth noting that they are not anti-industry and have long held logging agreements.
A key point that project proponents emphasize, is that 20 elected band councils signed benefits agreements, a phrasing that relies on Canadians' social conditioning—one that assumes democratic systems are fundamentally more fair.

While talking about benefits agreements, duress is inherent in the process—First Nations can't actually say no to any project in Canada. In addition, most councils are cash-strapped, and some reported that they were told the project would go ahead with or without their consent—they might as well get on board for a payout. Leaked examples of Coastal GasLink agreements show evidence of large provincial subsidies to get First Nations on board, attempts to muzzle pipeline dissent, and to limit Aboriginal rights.