• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludono

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Promoting harmful racist stereotypes
""Oh, God, another Asian girl/white boy couple," I groan, dropping my fiancé's hand.

He hates it when I do this. So do I, really. I know it's unkind and self-loathing, but every time I see another couple of our racial makeup, a little part of me sinks. We live in San Francisco, so this dip is as common as the hills. In these moments, I wish we were anything else ― that he were my gay best friend or we were startup co-founders, that he were Asian and I were white, that we were exquisitely ambiguous races, or that I could sink like my feelings into the sidewalk, be a little worm, and date whomever I want without considering social perception.

Shame is neither the wisest nor most mature part of oneself, but it still has a voice. "Stop it you guys!" my shame wants to say to these other couples. "Can't you see the more of us there are, the worse it looks?"

"It" meaning the prevalent trend of Asian women seeming to end up with white men. "It" meaning the perpetuation of Asian fetish.
"

Link

Like I'm sure many of my fellow Resetera posters, I have a bit of an inclination towards Asian women. Now I know that as a cis white male, it's a bit on the nose, what with the whole fetishising "subservient" Asian females, but I never considered it from the other side. The author comes from an area of the US that is known for its high ratio of WMAF couples, but generally both sides are educated unlike the Thais you see running around Bangkok or Cebu.

So why is there "guilt" associated with it? Have any of you experienced either the guilt or the shaming?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Because it typically comes at the expense that Asian men are effeminate and that white men are what real men should be according to western norms

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I'm a white American man married to an Asian woman. I don't feel bothered by any of the stigma about being in this sort of mixed race relationship. Who gives a shit about what other people think.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
I've not experienced the guilt related to it as both my ex girlfriends have been white like myself. However, and someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, the shame comes from the fact that most white men talking about interracial relationships online or on dating services, particularly if they're seeking Asian partners will often just drop that they have yellow fever which is their way of saying to other races no thanks (which is racist) while also saying to any Asian partners they may have that they are being dehumanized and sought out specifically for their white partners fetish (which is also racist).

Also as John Rabbit asks below what the f at that statement about Thai?

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"So why is there "guilt" associated with it? Have any of you experienced either the guilt or the shaming?"

Why? Because people who shame others for this are stupid, insecure, and bigoted, and the people who feel the guilt are stupid and insecure.

Also... "inclination"?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
The author comes from an area of the US that is known for its high ratio of WMAF couples, but generally both sides are educated unlike the Thais you see running around Bangkok or Cebu.
nnbESuM.gif

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I mean you can love who you want, preferences and shit. But the racial fetishism and exotification of Asian women is some weird ass shit and you can't really deny it ain't a thing. In my entirely anecdotal view, I only see this perpetuated by white men. The proliferation of sex tourism in Asian countries by white expats and the fact that some white dudes unironically think it's "easy" to get an Asian girl if they go to these countries because Asian men are "effeminate" and "non-threatening" only serves to support this argument.

Still though, if you really love someone who gives a shit. I'm black and my GF is black. I don't feel obliged to date her just because of her race and background. I feel bad for the author of that article.

Because it typically comes at the expense that Asian men are effeminate and that white men are what real men should be according to western norms
Yup, precisely this.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
I married an Asian woman (Filippino/Pakistani mix). We met on OkCupid, but I wasn't specifically looking for any "type" of woman.
I think the stereotype exists of white dudes liking Asian women, but I'd be inclined to say your standard dude doesn't go out of his way to find an Asian woman.

Als RE: that line y'all are quoting, as I found out, Asians can be pretty racist towards other Asians.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Like I'm sure many of my fellow Resetera posters, I have a bit of an inclination towards Asian women.

The author comes from an area of the US that is known for its high ratio of WMAF couples, but generally both sides are educated unlike the Thais you see running around Bangkok or Cebu.

...Off to a roaring start.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Like I'm sure many of my fellow Resetera posters, I have a bit of an inclination towards Asian women.

Speak for yourself on that one. While I've only dated white women (including my now-wife), that's not by design - making race your primary motivator for choosing a partner is just super shallow and not really a solid basis for a long-term relationship.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty superficial thing to rate relationships on. In my experience most relationships have a bit more substance to them than looks.

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
It seems silly to me. Asian women in America have a male dating pool consisting of what...80% white/Hispanic men, 12% black men, and 8% asian/Arabic men? So unless they display some pretty extreme anti-white preferences, Asian appearing women are overwhelmingly going to be seen with white appearing men just from a numbers perspective.

I've dated my share of Asian women and we interacted just like normal people, no need to ascribe it to a fetish. My brother in law (native american) did date a Hmong girl who was strongly pressured to stay within her own race/culture by her family but again, that is probably more a desire to retain a distinct cultural identity as an extreme minority population than from occult racist desires.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Like I'm sure many of my fellow Resetera posters, I have a bit of an inclination towards Asian women. Now I know that as a cis white male, it's a bit on the nose, what with the whole fetishising "subservient" Asian females, but I never considered it from the other side. The author comes from an area of the US that is known for its high ratio of WMAF couples, but generally both sides are educated unlike the Thais you see running around Bangkok or Cebu.

So why is there "guilt" associated with it? Have any of you experienced either the guilt or the shaming?

Like who you like but the bolded phrase doesn't make you sound educated or refined but makes you sound like a creep, just FYI.

Oct 25, 2017
I knew a few white dudes back in my university days who fetishized Asian women. They were man children who felt feminism ruined other women so they pursued Chinese students because they were pure.

It was soooooo gross.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
white man with asian fetish -- ok you're probably a bit racist
and then this thai stuff - ok you're a full-blown racist

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
OP just shot himself in the foot, etc.

So, in an attempt to actually answer, I'm sure there are some interracial couples out there whose partner is their "fetish," but this in no way should be assumed by outsiders.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Uh...maybe people shouldn't use their prejudice to evaluate strangers relationships.
Yup. Maybe, and i know this is tough for some people today, but just maybe try and mind your own goddamn business...

Also, wow this thread may have the most "I'm sorry, what?" reactions I've ever seen in a so short a span. A few folks at the top of the thread really need to reevaluate either what they're saying or how they're saying it...

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Locking Thread.

We don't feel that this conversation will end well, so we are locking the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.