• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...housands-of-students-to-join-national-protest

Thousands of schoolchildren across the country have walked out of class to demand federal government action on climate change.

The "Strike 4 Climate Action", inspired by 15-year-old Swedish student Greta Thunberg, is involving children in capital cities and 20 regional centres such as Ballarat and Newcastle.

On Friday, more than a thousand primary and secondary students filled Sydney's Martin Place and students in Melbourne marched through the streets, bringing traffic to a standstill.

The prime minister, Scott Morrison, had urged students this week not to take part and told them to be "less activist".

But his warning appears to have gone unheeded with thousands congregating in the centres of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

Sydney student Jean Hinchliffe, 14, took to the stage and told her fellow students the protest was "just the beginning".

"This is our first strike," she said. "Our first action. And it is just the beginning. And we'll keep doing it until something is done."

Lucie Atkin-Bolton, 11, who is the school captain of Forest Lodge public school, said she had been let down by politicians.

"My name is Lucie and I wish I didn't have to be here today," she said. "I'm the school captain at my primary school. We've been taught what is means to be a leader. You have to think about other people.

"When kids make a mess, adults tell us to clean it up and that's fair. But when our leaders make a mess, they're leaving it to us to clean up."

Any mention of Scott Morrison brought boos from the crowd, as student after student criticised his comments.

"If Scott Morrison wants children to stop acting like a parliament, then maybe the parliament should stop acting like children," Manjot Kaur, 17, from Ravenswood school said.

The noise was deafening as students waved homemade signs, chanted and sang along to a rendition of Stand By Me. Hinchchliffe called Morrison's electorate office, and encouraged students to call the prime minister every day for the next week.

These kids rule.

For reference:

One of the more cretinous responses from the Liberals:

And before someone says it, because I know someone will, who gives a fuck if some of them just wanted time out of class.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for them. We have all failed to make the governments of the world do something about climate change. The limp Paris Accords that are not binding are not strong enough. They are the ones that are going to have to grow up in a time with more severe weather, famine, etc even more than now.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
"When kids make a mess, adults tell us to clean it up and that's fair. But when our leaders make a mess, they're leaving it to us to clean up."

"If Scott Morrison wants children to stop acting like a parliament, then maybe the parliament should stop acting like children," Manjot Kaur, 17, from Ravenswood school said.

These kids are savage, and I love it.

Oct 25, 2017

Mr-Miyagi.gif

laoni

Oct 25, 2017

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good on those kids, their future is on the line and governments around the world are failing them.

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
Good on those kids and fuck Morrison and the rest of that slag heap. I am literally frothing at the chance to vote those fuckers out ASAP.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Our government is a mess at the moment, they kicked out their Moderate right leader because he wasn't Conservative enough for someone even less popular with the general public, and have sunk their teeth into going further and further right despite the fact that it's not what the polls are showing that people want.

Now they're bullying children who want to save the planet so I'm expecting Slowmo's popularity to drop even further.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Turnbull tried to deliver sane climate policy despite being on the right and the conservatives threatened to burn the whole party down and knifed him for it. Fuck Dutton. Fuck Abbott. Fuck the Young Liberals. Fuck the Conservative faction. They're determined to bring a christofascist-corporate allied conservatism a'la the American Republican Party to Australia and they can all go get fucked. I hope the voters fucking hammer them in the next election.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so pissed off that next election I might just fly home, reregister in my old seat of Moore and help vote that cunt Goodenough out for knifing Turnbull.

Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha, these kids sounds more mature and cool headed than our current politicians. The Australian government has been a big jokes lately.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
The kids from Newcastle were tricked into joining with the promise of an "Ashley Out" march afterwards.
Not the same Newcastle but I am making the joke anyway.

OP
OP
bomma man

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Our government is a mess at the moment, they kicked out their Moderate right leader because he wasn't Conservative enough for someone even less popular with the general public, and have sunk their teeth into going further and further right despite the fact that it's not what the polls are showing that people want.

Now they're bullying children who want to save the planet so I'm expecting Slowmo's popularity to drop even further.

Turnbull tried to deliver sane climate policy despite being on the right and the conservatives threatened to burn the whole party down and knifed him for it. Fuck Dutton. Fuck Abbott. Fuck the Young Liberals. Fuck the Conservative faction. They're determined to bring a christofascist-corporate allied conservatism a'la the American Republican Party to Australia and they can all go get fucked. I hope the voters fucking hammer them in the next election.

I'm so pissed off that next election I might just fly home, reregister in my old seat of Moore and help vote that cunt Goodenough out for knifing Turnbull.

Turnbull fucking sucked on climate too. Look at the graph in the first post.

Oct 31, 2017
This is a Gvt for shitting on kids for not going to school for one day when next yr there will be only be 13 sittings before the next budget is revealed in April

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
This makes me happy, my state giving a middle finger to the libs.

9U0leRe.png

ALP - Labor party
LNC - Liberal Coalition (Right-wing)
GRN - Greens

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Haha yes! Go you good thing. Sick of the right wing rot in this country stalling progress. These kids have absolutely humiliated Morrison today imo (not that that is hard to do).

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Sad how they poison young peoples minds with Chinese hoaxes even in Australia

/s good for them!

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Good to see the younger generation is not putting up with the older generations bull. More people need to be politically active in some way. One can't wait until it's too late because by then it'll be impossible to reverse course.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Man that is crazy to here comments like that from the Australian government. How do these cunts get elected, they probably arent going to be elected in the future, but sadly it will be to late by then.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
It's great to see, the more is done the knock on effect will be greater.

Thing is there seems to be this demand for populations to expend in these countries who produce the most emissions trying to cover for aging demographics and when this larger population gets older for longer again you'll need and even greater population still.

I don't see the advances counteracting this expansion of so called developed countries or increasing the amount of developed countries. Canada wants to be a "international player" and not get left behind so it sees expanding to 100 million is the way. This creates more industry and way more pollution and probably not a good location for this to happen.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
WeXAhJC.png

check girl on right's arm, lmao

damnit, i really should have gone down to martin place yesterday to check it out

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
This Greta Thunberg is really something.
Her speech at COP24 was one of the most powerful i've seen.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parents don't actually care about their kids. Adults will be gone before it gets too bad and they don't give a fuck what happens to the next generation.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think they care. They mostly feel powerless. But they're not. You just need to unite and demand change. It has worked since forever.
I just can't imagine knowing the kind of world your children / grandchildren are doomed to, and instead of doing anything about it you just stay home and watch TV or whatever.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The protests were awesome but my god at the governments response. Today's coag meeting went no better. The sooner these fuckers get voted out the better. I'll be going along to any future protests.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't imagine knowing the kind of world your children / grandchildren are doomed to, and instead of doing anything about it you just stay home and watch TV or whatever.
Yeah you got to go along with them. Show your kids what's worth fighting for. And what things they can do to make this world a better place.
We definitely need responsible parents. We have assholes enough on this planet. When i see a cunt kid, i know he has cunt-ass parents. A normal kid isn't racist, Most of them loves animals and nature and are willing to fight for that. Kids have a HUUUUGE sense of justice. And in this case, imo, Greta Thunberg gave one of the most inspirational speeches i've ever heard. A giant truth bomb. Here:

Last edited: