• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
THQ Nordic has entered into an agreement to acquire Koch Media GmbH, including, inter alia, the games developer and publisher Deep Silver with AAA-intellectual property rights such as Saints Row, Dead Island and exclusive licence for Metro.

NOT FOR RELEASE, PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBUTION IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, IN THE UNITED STATES, AUSTRALIA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, HONG KONG, JAPAN, SOUTH AFRICA OR ANY OTHER JURISDICTION WHERE SUCH RELEASE, PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBUTION WOULD BE UNLAWFUL OR WOULD REQUIRE REGISTRATION OR ANY OTHER MEASURES.

-

THQ Nordic AB ("THQ Nordic" or the "Company") has, through its wholly owned subsidiary, SALEM einhundertste Holding GmbH, today entered into an agreement with the owner, Koch Media Holding GmbH (the "Seller"), of Koch Media GmbH ("Koch Media") to acquire 100 percent of the share capital in Koch Media. The total consideration amounts to EUR 121 million on a cash and debt free basis (the "Transaction").

Koch Media is a leading, independent producer and marketer of digital entertainment products in Europe and North America with studios in Germany, the UK, and the US, and offices in several Central and Northern European cities. Koch Media's business consists of three business areas; i) Games, which are mainly published under the Deep Silver label with several AAA-intellectual property rights such as Saints Row, Dead Island and Metro; ii) Partner Publishing, which is the leading company in this business area in Europe and iii) Film, which is a business within movies for primarily the German and Italian speaking territories. Koch Media generated net sales of approximately SEK 2,548 million and Adjusted EBIT[1] of approximately SEK 296 million for the period April - December 2017.

The new group generated pro forma net sales and Adjusted EBIT for the period April - December 2017 of SEK 2,933 million and SEK 505 million, respectively.

http://news.cision.com/thq-nordic-ab/r/thq-nordic-acquires-koch-media-gmbh,c2452159

Big move for THQ Nordic and surprising to be honest. I wish them luck.

Oct 25, 2017
NOT FOR RELEASE, PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBUTION IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, IN THE UNITED STATES, AUSTRALIA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, HONG KONG, JAPAN, SOUTH AFRICA OR ANY OTHER JURISDICTION WHERE SUCH RELEASE, PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBUTION WOULD BE UNLAWFUL OR WOULD REQUIRE REGISTRATION OR ANY OTHER MEASURES.

We're all goin' to jail y'all.

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User warned for drive-by posting, not contributing to the thread
lol

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Wow, Koch Media?
I'm not sure on this one but weren't Deep Silver part of Koch Media?

I didn't even know that THQ Nordic had that much money to be in a position to aquire another company.

Color me fucking surprised.

Edit: I'm stupid and should've read the whole thing first. Well, there it is. Deep Silver is part of THQ Nordic now.
That means THQ Nordic now has thethe publish rights for European releases of Atlus games, is this correct?

Edit 2: How can Koch Media be as cheap as 121 million?!?
Even Rare was more expensive back then and they were "only" a games developer, not a publisher of games and films.
My mind cannot comprehend this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's what I'm reading? They acquired Koch Media in it's entirely along Deep Silver and it's studios? This is absolutely surprising, even more because it's THQ Nordic.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow they are stepping things the fuck up.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, THQ own Deep Silver?

...This is so surreal yet feels like it totally makes sense. Surprised it's not the other way around though.

Deep Silver bought some of THQ's series when they originally went under, ja? Full circle.

Last edited:

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit!!! This is completely out there. Wow!!!

THQ Nordic has the opportunity to become a top five publisher for me now in 2018 after just a single year if Biomutant, Darksiders III and Metro Exodus release this year. Very nice. Looking forward to seeing how all of this plays out. And it's kind of funny that a few of those licenses are going back to "THQ". LOL.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, does that mean that the Saints Row and Red Faction IPs are back under the same control again, or does someone else own the Red Faction IP?

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is really big. Glad to be owning stocks in THQ Nordic, they keep delivering!

Deleted member 11926

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where did they get all that money? Next target: Deep Silver? Would be interesting to see another European publisher on the level of Ubisoft. (That also means an additional press conference at E3, lol)

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Wut? Lol. How does this company have so much money? We are talking about a company that up until recently just released ports? What is the history here? Am I missing something? Does this mean they own deep silver?

NyxKiria

Self-Requested Permanent Ban
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
THQ Nordic is becoming a beast

Where did they get all that money? Next target: Deep Silver? Would be interesting to see another European publisher on the level of Ubisoft. (That also means an additional press conference at E3, lol)

they own Deep Silver also now since Koch Media owned them

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
As a Switch owner that's good news. Since THQ Nordic port everything they can to Switch as well, this means even more 3rd party games for Switch.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if things were really bad at Koch. Deep Silver hasn't exactly been fielding many hits the past few years (and they likely overextended themselves like Nordic appears to be close to doing).

NyxKiria

Self-Requested Permanent Ban
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
ttHrOQh.png

Oct 27, 2017
This is a big deal. I'd always assumed Koch Media were a considerably larger company. THQ Nordic stepping things up and wanting to join the big boys.

Deleted member 1781

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's big. I think the latest games published by Deep Silver didn't perform well but and I was expecting Koch Media to sell them but not the whole company. I really hope THQ Nordiq to do well after all these acquisitions .

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
wow, that is suprising to say the least. But maybe also not really, can easily imagine Koch did get problems after the disasters Homefront, the Dead Island 2 production and Agents of Mayhem. wish them luck, and please give me Saints Row 5 or better a reboot!

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
This is crazy to see happening I didn't think they had that much money spare to acquire more companies.
I guess they really are the new THQ now.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Koch Media was bigger than THQ Nordic.
I'm glad since this means Metro won't use Denuvo :D

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Well, this is certainly news I wasn't expecting to read tonight. That's quite a few of the old THQ IP's included also. Not sure if it's all of them but its definitely come full circle.

rtv190

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Koch Media?
I'm not sure on this one but weren't Deep Silver part of Koch Media?

I didn't even know that THQ Nordic had that much money to be in a position to aquire another company.

Color me fucking surprised.

Edit: I'm stupid and should've read the whole thing first. Well, there it is. Deep Silver is part of THQ Nordic now.
That means THQ Nordic now has thethe publish rights for European releases of Atlus games, is this correct?

Edit 2: How can Koch Media be as cheap as 121 million?!?
Even Rare was more expensive back then and they were "only" a games developer, not a publisher of games and films.
My mind cannot comprehend this.
They were so cheap because Koch and in turn Deep Silver have been in debt for a while now.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
that's... a surprise. Usually when Nordic buys stuff its either the parts of large publisher's that no'one else wanted (THQ), or smaller company's (Dreamcatchers, Jowood). Koch media/Deep silver feels very big for them.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Good. At one tine I thought Deep Silver would be the new Thq. They could have been, but gross mismanagement ruined that. Now Thq Nordic can be the new Thq.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
THQ is legit coming back. It's a different company becoming THQ, but the effect is the same.

It's what would happen if the company wearing Atari's skin were to put in genuine effort.