• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Reminder that it took the closure of 8chan for them to act on this. Yes, it's the parent group, and clearly the bigger associate with THQ Nordic the publisher. The bummer itself wasn't enough and the aftermath wasn't enough. The shooter probably wasn't enough, but the closure, the notion that someone legally took action is the only thing that took it to this. Remember that.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Since I ended up looking at some earlier pages of the THQ Nordic 8chan AMA thread, it's also worth noting that it took THQ Nordic an immense amount of time before they could even be bothered to take down the link to 8chan - several hours at minimum, well after they had bailed. Just before they stopped answering reporters' phone calls, they were sending at least one outlet unsolicited codes to their games in order to shut them up.

So maybe I shouldn't say that they didn't do literally anything, since they actually did make some efforts to actively try to bury this before they went silent and just hoped it would blow over.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that it took the closure of 8chan for them to act on this. Yes, it's the parent group, and clearly the bigger associate with THQ Nordic the publisher. The bummer itself wasn't enough and the aftermath wasn't enough. The shooter probably wasn't enough, but the closure, the notion that someone legally took action is the only thing that took it to this. Remember that.
i'm sorry, i don't get it. are you saying the closure of 8chan led to this name change? how do you know that?
there's no reason to believe this as anything to do with 8chan, the AMA or the site's closure.

Last edited:

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
The new name is bad. This unhealthy insistence on bringing up 8chan every time this company is mentioned is even worse.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, The name change Pretty much was in the works before 8chan thing.
it had to be. the whole controversy died down after a few days, it's pretty much only on era where it's still being brought up and talked about. if anyone really think a huge company would change its name because of that, they're way overestimating the power people's voices on resetera have.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Embracing the alt-right and gamergate communities from all corners of the world.

Seems pretty accurate to me.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Some people just can't let go of the 8chan thing, huh.
I mean

Why should anyone? They never said what the result of their investigation was. They never repudiated the site or acknowledged why it was bad. They corresponded with the people who arranged it after they tried to publicly distance themselves from it.

Also, who fucking gives a shit that corporate overlords are getting their feelings hurt by criticism

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
Getting back on topic, I'm a bit concerned that Nordic is expanding too quickly. They haven't really had any big hits yet. I'm glad to see another AA publisher enter the fray but they might be stretching themselves thin.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be reasonable with the snark. The 8 Chan sympathizer was THQ the Subsidiary, not the parent company. That's the whole reason for the name change.
You are right the way the parent company took decisive action to discipline those involved really makes the snark unnecessary.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
i'm sorry, i don't get it. are you saying the closure of 8chan led to this name change? how do you know that?
I don't know but it's no secret that THQ has made a bunch of serious blunders recently and this name change happening so recently to the closure with 8chan I like to believe this is why they're even doing it.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
That's a rather more ominous name than they probably intend it to be. Makes me think of some kind of Lovecraftian tentacle mass.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know but it's no secret that THQ has made a bunch of serious blunders recently and this name change happening so recently to the closure with 8chan I like to believe this is why they're even doing it.
the blunder was very serious but it didn't create much of a negative buzz. i just don't see how a huge company would change its name to distance itself from a fully owned subsidiary, months after the buzz around the controversy died down. a name change makes sense because while they started as the parent company of thq nordic (the game publisher), they're now much bigger after the purchase of koch/deep silver and several other companies that aren't under thq nordic (the publisher) and it no longer makes sense for them to have the same name as just one of their many subsidiaries.
the idea that they would propose a name change because 8chan was closed a few days after it happened is pretty absurd.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be reasonable with the snark. The 8 Chan sympathizer was THQ the Subsidiary, not the parent company. That's the whole reason for the name change.

Embracer Group's director of business took part in the AMA.

You are right the way the parent company took decisive action to discipline those involved really makes the snark unnecessary.

What decisive action? What discipline? As far as I can tell, everyone involved is still with the company.