• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You sure about it? Seems to me it's clearly done so THQ Nordic AB can differentiate itself from THQ Nordic GmbH.

Renaming the holding company so they don't get associated with Nazis is pretty understandable.
yeah i'm absolutely sure

1. a big holding company changing its name to distance itself from a fully owned subsidiary makes little to no sense, specially when they're not doing any immediate business with consumers where their name is seen. it would have made sense to change the name of THQ nordic, the publisher, not THQ nordic, the holding company.
2. if this is something done because of the controversy, it makes little to no sense to do it now, months after the actual AMA happened. while back then it would have been understandable since it was being reported everywhere, now in august of 2019 the whole thing has pretty much died down everywhere except on era. you don't see it being mentioned on any gaming website, and they're doing business as usual in all the big conventions (E3, gamescon, etc) without any journalists bringing it up. to think that they're changing their name because the controversy is constantly brought up in one single gaming forum is absurd.
3. it makes sense for them to change their name anyway because while they started as the parent company for THQ nordic games, they're a much bigger company now with several big subsidiaries so it makes sense not to have the same name as one of their many subsidiaries
and finally
4. a name change was already in the planning before the incident

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
You sure about it? Seems to me it's clearly done so THQ Nordic AB can differentiate itself from THQ Nordic GmbH.

Renaming the holding company so they don't get associated with Nazis is pretty understandable.
Apparently they started the name changing process (trying to come up with a new name and everything past that) long before this 8chan debacle, so they aren't related though I imagine they are happy to be able to put some distance between them and this disaster with the name change.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Hahaha, "they're moving past it!"

Phew! That's exactly what the concern was, whether they were moving past it or not!

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
What more do you want from them? They are moving past it, it's done, wether they have a satisfactory response to it or not. These are other game studios, other people who had nothing to do with the 8chan stuff, when are they allowed to put a game out without being dragged back into it?
It's fine that you dont care about the fact the company you are buying games from directly signal boosted a part of the internet which supports terrorism and mass murder, but im not sure i understand why you dont understand that for a lot of people thats a big deal. Im not gonna judge you for being apathetic towards them, at the end of the day if a game is good you want to play it and thats fine. However if they ever put out a game that i would like to play, i wouldnt buy it because i dont want to support their actions.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
For those who aren't convinced yet about the timing of the decision to change the name:

The plan to change the name was announced on 14 February 2018, the day when they acquired Koch Media/Deep Silver. They told investors during the investor presentation on that day, as you can see on page 20 of the slide presentation (link), which can be found on their Investor Relations website (link) under the title "Investor presentation THQ Nordic AB acquires Koch Media GmbH". The webcast livestream of that presentation is also still online and can be watched here (can be accessed from the same page on the IR website). The segment about the acquisition starts at 22:47 and Lars Wingefors mentions the name change at 1:03:00. The slide says there were plans to propose the name change to investors at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) on 16 May 2018, but things weren't ready in time, and there hasn't been another AGM since then; the next one is on 17 September 2019 (a month from now), which is why the proposed name wasn't announced until now.