• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
If the upshot is that it's a hassle to remove company representatives that laugh along with homophobic bullshit and large breasted children while on the clock (on a site that was delisted for association with/promotion of depictions of child abuse), well, I don't know why we wouldn't expect a company to take the trouble.

I mean, yeah, let stupid people run wild and you will probably have to go through some bullshit to fix it. Welcome to your world

LinLeigh

Oct 25, 2017
You know, when watching American fictional media, and a boss in it just screams at the employee "you're fired", and the person just starts packing the stuff on their desk immediately while sad music is playing in the background.... I always wondered if that really happens in the US.

Reading this thread I get the feeling it does.

It really does. It happened to friends of mine. I had always assumed it was just dramatic fiction before.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So could you work with, or directly under someone who condones a site that at best is indirectly linking to child abuse imagery?

Keeping the business running is one thing, but I'd refuse to work for or with anyone who is responsible for the promotion a site that enables the spread of child abuse imagery?

If these people can't be fired, what do you do with them?

I wasn't making a statement that they couldn't be fired, or shouldn't be fired. Just that it is a process.

Personally I feel THQ has to take real action. This isn't going away, and it will overshadow all of their future releases for a while.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This apology is a pretty good start. I hope they're transparent about the investigation and whatever systems and policies are put into place to prevent this from happening in the future.
I don't think it's a good apology, especially when they're lying. THQN employees DID explicitly endorse it. Unless they come out and say 'That wasn't me doing it, here's why'. Copy and pasting myself from the main thread:

"Fucking what? You LITERALLY responded to 'Cease your fa****ry' and 'Big tiddy lolis' along with some other stupid bullshit, not just questions about vidya games. What part of that was not endorsing such garbage content?

Fuck your bullshit THQN."

Those certain employees decided to respond to those comments in a jokey way knowing exactly what they meant.

I do hope what they say about implementing ways to prevent this is true. Though I don't have much hope.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Well good start, especially the last part, but the ones that did this should still be fired, so yeah, still going to be hollow.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I would've liked some kind of statement about Pollice's involvement. His comment was absolutely disgusting and all I've heard from him is the one phone call where he said something like "that wasn't me". I'd like to see him go away, but I really don't see that happening. Brock should also go, and I think that's more likely.

I'll sit back and wait though, I know these things can take a very long time sometimes.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's a million reasons to not announce discipline or a firing in a press release. But Acknowledgement is a first good step.

LinLeigh

Oct 25, 2017
If the upshot is that it's a hassle to remove company representatives that laugh along with homophobic bullshit and large breasted children while on the clock (on a site that was delisted for association with/promotion of depictions of child abuse), well, I don't know why we wouldn't expect a company to take the trouble.

I mean, yeah, let stupid people run wild and you will probably have to go through some bullshit to fix it. Welcome to your world

In my country that could increase the risk of the firing not being accepted and the person being allowed to return to work.

Whereas if the normal procedure is followed it will probably just take a bit longer.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't making a statement that they couldn't be fired, or shouldn't be fired. Just that it is a process.

Personally I feel THQ has to take real action. This isn't going away, and it will overshadow all of their future releases for a while.
Fair enough. Because some people are saying that they just can't be fired.

I'm from the UK so I know due process needs to exist here. However I don't buy that nobody knew enough about 8chan to put a stop to this if they wanted.

After all someone knew enough about them and to organise an AMA there *and* warn them to be nice. You don't acknowledge a sites poor reputation and then go "nobody endorses them here". Obviously someone did in order to put the site forward to hold this AMA.

That person responsible is responsible for the signal boosting of a repugnant website and needs to be rooted out and removed. If it needs to be done by the book, fine.

Last edited:

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
Vapid and empty lip-service. Unless this internal investigation holds those found to be responsible accountable for their actions, and clear consequences manifest as a result (formal dismissal, preferably) then this statement means nothing.

You cannot deliberately or even accidentally give legitimacy and exposure to a platform that hosts 8chan's content and then sweep it under the carpet with a simple "sorry, won't happen again, promise."

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
It really does. It happened to friends of mine. I had always assumed it was just dramatic fiction before.

That's such a weird concept to me. I mean in cases like this one I guess it would be good if it was possible, but in general I like our laws that prevent ceos, managers etc. from abusing their power on a whim.

People here think it's not easy because it's "not only a mere personal assistant, we are talking higher up positions here". No guys. This could be your cleaning lady for all our law cares, it would be just as difficult as long as the person in question has a permanent contract and hasn't only joined the company within the last 6 months.

P. S. :just to be clear, just like the other people pointing out procedures in Europe I am not saying this person shouldn't face the consequences of their actions. I think they should. I am just pointing out that most likely, at this point in time, there is nothing else THQ Nordic can do. Or say. If they had waited for the end of said investigations so they could fit the firing into the statement, it would probably be summer by the time they would have said anything at all.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Some of these things vary state-to-state in the US, but at the large, multinational corporation where I worked, it was much easier to fire management than hourly employees. Managers were considered representatives of the company and could be fired at-will for any public behavior that cast the company in a bad light.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Some of these things vary state-to-state in the US, but at the large, multinational corporation where I worked, it was much easier to fire management than hourly employees. Managers were considered representatives of the company and could be fired at-will for any public behavior that cast the company in a bad light.

In my country that could increase the risk of the firing not being accepted and the person being allowed to return to work.

Whereas if the normal procedure is followed it will probably just take a bit longer.

Sure, I get that, but perhaps the company could telegraph their interest in at least investigating further? Employees could (at least where I'm from) be placed on paid administrative leave while an investigation is conducted, etc. I'm sure there are other options beyond the people involved "understand"ing what they did

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
To all of you who wan't an official explanation, remember that doing so prior to any investigation would be bad idea from a legal standpoint

Give it out prior to one, and i wouldn't be surprised if the guy makes his own case about the company scapegoating/framing him for this whole affair. So i wouldn't expect one just yet.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
You know, when watching American fictional media, and a boss in it just screams at the employee "you're fired", and the person just starts packing the stuff on their desk immediately while sad music is playing in the background.... I always wondered if that really happens in the US.

Reading this thread I get the feeling it does.

P. S. : Just for the record... I am talking secretaries here. Not management. But you can't even fire personal assistants like that here so... I always thought Media exaggerated for comic effect and also because having a long drawn-out investigation in fiction would be boring.
I once worked a contract position for a major tech company and two weeks earlier I was told my contract was being extended for a year. I got an email from my contract company asking to call for a check-in, and I thought nothing of it.

When I got the call, I was told I was being let go and that this was my last day of employment. On a Friday, at 5:00. No reason given, just that my contract was being terminated. To add insult to injury, a trainee was sitting in on the call, which I had agreed to because I thought it was just a simple check-in.

So yes. It happens.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
THQ is a lost cause, this is them. The pressure needs to come down hard on their partners to divest from this horrible place. Do you want your brand to be associated with a company made up of homophobic and possibly pedophile executive(s?)

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
THQ is a lost cause, this is them. The pressure needs to come down hard on their partners to divest from this horrible place. Do you want your brand to be associated with a company made up of homophobic and possibly pedophile executive(s?)

So you're saying that every developer and employee working under them should suffer because of something the management did? Good to know....

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying that every developer and employee working under them should suffer because of something the management did? Good to know....

That's on the homophobes and pedos that run things there, not me. They intentionally did this and wont fix it. People reacting and doing what they need to do because of them are not the problem. This demands consequences and if their management wont issue it, others will.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
First rule of PR: Don't actively damage your brand.

You'd think so, right? Actually, even better... First rule of PR: Prevent your brand from being damaged.

That's like... Your main job. If someone says something bad about your brand in public, it's PRs job to talk to press about it and try to give them the other perspective, so hopefully, reports won't be as bad. Of course that also in and of itself entails not actively damaging your brand.

Of course if I was in charge of PR for this one I would probably be crying right now. There's no translating this to look less bad in public.
I once worked a contract position for a major tech company and two weeks earlier I was told my contract was being extended for a year. I got an email from my contract company asking to call for a check-in, and I thought nothing of it.

When I got the call, I was told I was being let go and that this was my last day of employment. On a Friday, at 5:00. To add insult to injury, a trainee was sitting in on the call, which I had agreed to because I thought it was just a simple check-in.

So yes. It happens.

Wow that sucks.....

I think that's possible here too though. You were on a year by year contract that was about to run out and you were waiting on the extension, which they told you you would get, but then you didn't, right? If that's the case that is...... Super unethical but legal I think... Unless you already signed the extension papers.

If the guy who did this is on a year by year contract they can just let him go without reasons when his contract ends in a few months. But I doubt he is. Not sure about Austria but in Germany you can only have someone on a year by year contract for 2 years max. After you either employ them permanently or let them go. So this is most likely a permanent contract, and those are hard to get out of from the employer's side.

That's not to belittle your own situation that you experienced, cause that just isn't right, regardless of laws. What if you had bought a new car or smth because you were of the belief that you would get your contract extended....

anyprophet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there are a lot of games that I don't buy for a wide variety of reasons. in fact I don't buy most games. there are way more games I haven't purchased than games I've purchased. am I a bad person for causing all of those employees to suffer???

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When your PR team is the issue it probably delayed getting out a press release saying sorry for the PR team but a week? To apologise for such a huge blunder? Come on son.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

What would you find acceptable from an official public statement in order to not consider THQ a lost cause?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When your PR team is the issue it probably delayed getting out a press release saying sorry for the PR team but a week? To appogise for such a huge blunder? Come on son.

LinLeigh

Oct 25, 2017
That's such a weird concept to me. I mean in cases like this one I guess it would be good if it was possible, but in general I like our laws that prevent ceos, managers etc. from abusing their power on a whim.

People here think it's not easy because it's "not only a mere personal assistant, we are talking higher up positions here". No guys. This could be your cleaning lady for all our law cares, it would be just as difficult as long as the person in question has a permanent contract and hasn't only joined the company within the last 6 months.

P. S. :just to be clear, just like the other people pointing out procedures in Europe I am not saying this person shouldn't face the consequences of their actions. I think they should. I am just pointing out that most likely, at this point in time, there is nothing else THQ Nordic can do. Or say. If they had waited for the end of said investigations so they could fit the firing into the statement, it would probably be summer by the time they would have said anything at all.

Oh yes firmly belief the guy should be fired and I think they can probably make the case.

But even if it isn't perfect for cases like this I'm incredibly grateful to have our labor laws. They protect far more good people than bad people.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
So they support a place full of pedos and nazis and think that's enough?

Ask the lolicons to buy your damn games

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked nobody got fired over it.

They have employment laws to work through. They can't be just fired like in the US.

Like in my job I can't be fired unless I get a verbal warning, 2 written warning and a Final written warning. I can be fired for gross misconduct but that could take 2 weeks before the decision can be made. The procedures need to be followed or they can sue for unfair dismissal.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if we follow your absurd guilt tripping strawman, everyone should buy every game to make sure good people at every company are happy and well fed.
This isn't a charity, this is a competitive market where companies rise and sink all the time. There are a ton of worse reasons for a company to sink than having executives publicly endorse Nazi pedophiles.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IpDAgCi.gif

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017

Yes. Without equivocation. That's what happens when you work for a large corporation, you're at the mercy of the assholes above you. The alternative is never punishing anybody in a position of management and ownership of a company because it might harm the people they employ.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Before this whole dibocal I had no idea 8chan was a thing, I miss not knowing about it. Internets be creepy yo.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
"Internal investigation" in this instance means "enough of you shrieked loud enough that this became a minor annoyance in my day".

There's no investigation happening.

anyprophet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While you personally may find that statement acceptable, I think admitting they were marketing directly to neo-nazis would be unacceptable to many board members.
but marketing directly to neo-nazis while doing nothing to actually address the issue is acceptable?

yeah probably. board members are ghouls.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I can only accept this as a starter apology, but more needs to be done. This internal investigation should prove quick if done right and we have every right to know the end results and consequences of those responsible before they can clear their social conscience

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tell me how does it feel to have enough money to buy every single game that exists? I mean if you're not doing that you would look like a giant hypocrite right now.