• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it's ready for launch, could be a shadow drop.

I love me some portable Eurojank.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such a great game.

This could run great on current gen consoles. 4K@60 fps Risen would be a neat package.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Risen feels like the Gothic 3 PB wanted to make, and it's great. I hope we get modern ports of Risen 2 as well. It's the best one imo.
I love me some Piranha Bytes and will be all over this new version of Risen. Possibly even double dipping on Switch and PS. But Risen 2 the best one?

You do you, but I'd like you to explain why you think that is. I mean I got 1000/1000 gamepoints on Risen 1 and 2 on X360, so I've played the game, but 2 the best one?

The engine that they used for 2 was supposed to be more console friendly, but it just ended up dumbing down so many aspects of the Risen1/Gothic games. It was an obvious simplification of the game type and as such was regressive.

Oct 26, 2017
A tad odd as this was under Deep Silver back in the day yet THQ Nordic is handling it. Wonder if Piranha Bytes are doing all versions themselves or if its outsourced like to Kaiko or something. Also how is it not Risen: Re-Risen or something. :P

Aug 19, 2022
I love me some Piranha Bytes and will be all over this new version of Risen. Possibly even double dipping on Switch and PS. But Risen 2 the best one?

You do you, but I'd like you to explain why you think that is. I mean I got 1000/1000 gamepoints on Risen 1 and 2 on X360, so I've played the game, but 2 the best one?

The engine that they used for 2 was supposed to be more console friendly, but it just ended up dumbing down so many aspects of the Risen1/Gothic games. It was an obvious simplification of the game type and as such was regressive.
Literally just the foul mouthed pirate goblin lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
So this actually came out today, after it looking like it wasn't happening, not that I expected much fanfare..

I've just double dipped on this new version on PS4 and Switch, like a good little Risen fanboy. I so thought that it wasn't releasing, that I bought the discounted original 360 version this morning, so at least I'd get to buy some Risen today! 360 version runs very nice on Series S. It'll be interesting to compare the old and new console versions. I'll drop some impressions of the new versions when I get to play them later.

Fingers crossed the revamped systems means it controls well. Also let's hope those dipping their toes into this game for maybe the first time can see the brilliance shining from this game.

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
The first Risen holds a special place in my heart. It was my first euro-jank rpg I ever played and I really loved it.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Okay quick first impressions. Both PS and Switch Lite. UI is the same as 360 version. Controls are changed with buttons perhaps where you'd more expect them to be for a modern game. Still plays like Risen though. Sheath and unsheathing weapons, parries and dodges remain.

Performance and graphics. PS version has a performance mode toggle. I'm playing on PS5. Seems locked 60 FPS on both modes on PS5. Clearly lower Res on performance mode. I suspect 'quality' mode has an unlocked framerate and could drop on a PS4, whilst maintaining 60fps there in performance mode, but I can't check.

Switch version is unlocked framerate by my eyes. No graphics modes. Framerate is good but not hitting 60 on my Switch Lite. Plays well, has same controls as PS version.

Here's a quick video I did from my PS5 showing the settings and controls.
View: https://youtu.be/ONfnjHVj90s

Can't upload Switch stuff as Twitter account is deleted.

Overall it plays very nicely to me on PS5 and though not 60 FPS on Switch still seems decent there. So it's Risen, hardly any improvements, but at least you can play on modern consoles.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Also PC version got upgrade with cloud saves, direct input support etc.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I own this game on Steam along with its sequel and never played either one. Maybe I should install this on my Steam Deck since the PC version got a free update to the remaster.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm bummed Risen 3 never got on the BC list, the only one I didn't play

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i already have the xbox BC version, does this have anything new on it or can i just play my old one if i ever feel like RISING or whatever

Oct 26, 2017
It's so odd as the physical release seemingly came out a couple of days earlier and thus had looked to be a physical-only game at first as it was MIA on the eShop period until just yesterday.

That and how barebones the port seems to be. Even weirder that the Switch version of all versions LACKS a performance toggle. You'd think it'd be the one to get such a thing if any as I'd think any of the others can just brute-force it with how much excess power they have. Or are the options for more enhancements or something? Still odd. SwitchUP says the 360 original also had performance issues. Would you say the Switch version is more or less 1:1 at minimum with it? Basically the 360 original, just now on the go or does it run worse?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It is absolutely wild that a game from 2009 can't run at 60 fps at locked 4k on a PS5.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
It is absolutely wild that a game from 2009 can't run at 60 fps at locked 4k on a PS5.
It does? I think. It definitely runs smooth as silk 60fps on my PS5. I can't tell if it's 4K, I'm not Digital Foundry, but it's much higher than the original version on 360 for sure. And yes, both versions are superior to the Xbox 360 version. On my series S the original 360 version doesn't look as good, but it does smooth out the framerate. Also the controls are better on the newer version. The old version has slightly strange analogue controls that makes the right stick act more like a mouse. It has very fast acceleration the more you push the stick in a direction.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The first Risen was pretty great. Had a perfectly sized dense world that I loved exploring.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
I just complete Risen 3 last week on PC.
The first one is the best for RPG. I like how it's not too big.
Maybe i will take it for Switch and try an another faction :)

It's really hard at first but don't give up. Everything don't need to be kill just came back.

Sep 22, 2022
Risen is an absolutely fantastic game, I'd highly recommend it to everyone!

And if you do end up playing and liking it, do yourselves a favor and play gothic 2, as well as archolos as well if you can tolerate the dated graphics. Absolute masterpieces of RPG design.

It still makes me sad how atrocious risen 2 and 3 were though. Especially because all they needed to do was to refine the risen 1 formula a touch more. But instead, they attempted to chase the mass market, and failed horribly at that.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It does? I think. It definitely runs smooth as silk 60fps on my PS5. I can't tell if it's 4K, I'm not Digital Foundry, but it's much higher than the original version on 360 for sure. And yes, both versions are superior to the Xbox 360 version. On my series S the original 360 version doesn't look as good, but it does smooth out the framerate. Also the controls are better on the newer version. The old version has slightly strange analogue controls that makes the right stick act more like a mouse. It has very fast acceleration the more you push the stick in a direction.

Why is there a performance and quality mode option? It seems like if it could run it at a locked 60fps at 4k it wouldn't have two options.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Why is there a performance and quality mode option? It seems like if it could run it at a locked 60fps at 4k it wouldn't have two options.
Because it's a PS4 game, there's no PS5 version. The performance mode is for PS4, so users can choose on that platform to have higher Res or higher framerate. Like unlocked PS4 games nearer the launch of PS5. It runs at 60fps in quality mode on PS5 regardless.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's a PS4 game, there's no PS5 version. The performance mode is for PS4, so users can choose on that platform to have higher Res or higher framerate. Like unlocked PS4 games nearer the launch of PS5. It runs at 60fps in quality mode on PS5 regardless.

Oh OK. I thought it was ps5 native

I definitely recommend remapping attack and block to the shoulder buttons on the ps5 system level for this game. That way you can move the camera while fighting

Oct 26, 2017
This was under Deep Silver originally right? I wonder how it ended up at THQN and why they didn't think of just letting Deep Silver have the honors again since they're now under the same umbrella. I know Piranha Bytes did ELEX with THQN but still.

Also it made me think they should consider remastering Cursed Mountain on Switch and other systems. That was apparently pretty decent.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This was under Deep Silver originally right? I wonder how it ended up at THQN and why they didn't think of just letting Deep Silver have the honors again since they're now under the same umbrella. I know Piranha Bytes did ELEX with THQN but still.
THQN also is publisher of Gothic Remake. So it might be branding decision.

OP
OP
Shard Shinjuku
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa

Also it made me think they should consider remastering Cursed Mountain on Switch and other systems. That was apparently pretty decent.

There was an IP exchange between the two a couple of years back.

Oct 26, 2017
There was an IP exchange between the two a couple of years back.
Yeah I remember Red Faction went to Deep Silver, and I think Timesplitters and Second Sight as well? Don't remember if Risen and Gothic were among them going to THQN.

Speaking of, I'm looking forward to what the revived Free Radical is up to. Hopefully they finish that Timesplitters 2 remaster they were cooking up long ago, now for Switch and other platforms hopefully. Could really sing on Switch i particular IMO.

OP
OP
Shard Shinjuku
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Yeah I remember Red Faction went to Deep Silver, and I think Timesplitters and Second Sight as well? Don't remember if Risen and Gothic were among them going to THQN.

Speaking of, I'm looking forward to what the revived Free Radical is up to. Hopefully they finish that Timesplitters 2 remaster they were cooking up long ago, now for Switch and other platforms hopefully. Could really sing on Switch i particular IMO.

Second Sight yes, Timespitters no, Risen was given, Gothic was already owned and Free Radical is making a new Timesplitters game.

Oct 26, 2017