• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

giphy.gif

Inability to comment on pc sales is...well that gif sums up how I feel about it.

Last edited:

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Edit: whoops thought i was in the Piranha Bytes thread sry...

Last edited:

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm interpreting that EGS comment as an indication that the long tail is lacking, since (as Hamster Plugin pointed out) you can't exactly call the initial performance of both Satisfactory and Metro Exodus outright failures.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interpreting that EGS comment as an indication that the long tail is lacking, since (as Hamster Plugin pointed out) you can't exactly call the initial performance of both Satisfactory and Metro Exodus outright failures.

Metro still has DLC coming out in the near future, right? That will do some good to bringing it back in front of people's eyes.

Last edited:

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Metro still has DLC coming out in the near future, right? That will do some good to being it back in front of people's eyes.
Maybe? The problem is that I would expect a significant chunk of the DLC's audience to have paid for it up front (by buying the Deluxe Edition). And even then, that won't solve EGS's lack of legs.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

From their comments it looks that game didn't "bomb" but digital sales are much much better on consoles. If we take that 95% of PC sales are digital that is not good result. And CEO specifically says that sales were stronger earlier in the year (when game was available on multiple stores).

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
THQ Nordic acquires legendary game studio Piranha Bytes

THQ Nordic AB (publ) is today announcing the acquisition of the assets belonging to the group of companies doing business as Piranha Bytes ("Piranha"). Piranha is the developer behind the critically acclaimed game series Gothic ®, Risen® and ELEX® and is a long-term developing partner to THQ Nordic. Through the acquisition THQ Nordic adds a strong portfolio of existing intellectual properties (IPs) and an exciting new game pipeline.

The acquisition includes the development studio and all IP rights. The parties have agreed upon not disclosing the purchase price. However, the purchase price equals c. three years of what management's estimated royalty payments to Piranha for upcoming titles would have been, if the acquisition had not occurred.

More at the link to press release

Dedicated thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/thq-nordic-acquires-piranha-bytes-gothic-risen-elex.118371/
"legendary" ?

that's a serious exaggeration

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
EGS exclusivity is hampering sales of games ? Whew who could've tell !
It's pretty telling that both of the games they flagged as a success (Metro and WWZ) performed less than consoles byba good margin despite being either PC centric IPs or genre.

And it was pretty telling that Epic had to subsidize sales by bleeding money.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"The Group is working on content for streaming and digital subscription services."

Yep, and here it is. The real reason why they are buying 5485489343 IPs and studios.
"legendary" ?

that's a serious exaggeration
In europe, especially in germany, they are. Gothic was awesome and huge back then.

jeyu

Dec 6, 2018
Really happy for This. Love their's games. Curious about those unannounced games

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Who the heck is making fun of Pyranha Bytes? Guys are the culmen of euro-jank games. Bioware wished they had as much imagination in their modern games as Gothic 1+2 had.

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to save me a lot of time, skipping a bunch of games made by nazi and pedophile supporters. Fuck THQN.

Nov 4, 2018
It's going to save me a lot of time, skipping a bunch of games made by nazi and pedophile supporters. Fuck THQN.
I try not to engage in this topic as people have already made up their minds, and more power to them, but I won't standby and see a false accusation like this go uncorrected.

You wanna claim that the higher ups in charge of the people responsible for not firing the guys who hosted the AMA are Nazis and pedophile supporters, fine that's a logical conclusion to come to.

However there is zero evidence that the actual developers of the games THQ Nordic published share the same views as the people behind the AMA. Don't label them as pedophile Nazi supporters, they had no control over the matter.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
That is actually not a logical conclusion at all

By not firing and not publicly showing what actions they've taken towards members of their staff who willingly hosted an AMA, engaged with and posted on an image board with extremely graphic racism and pedophilia, it kinda does give the impression of support.

Nov 4, 2018
That is actually not a logical conclusion at all
Honestly I don't believe the higher ups are actually supporters, but for the sake of making sure blame is shifted from the developers I'm playing devil's advocate. If people are gonna believe that entire development studios that had no part in the AMA share the same beliefs as the people who hosted the AMA, then it should be no surprise the people who are responsible for whether or not the hosters of the AMA are also accused of sharing those beliefs.
The logic being that if the person in charge of those who hosted the AMA didn't fire them, then that implies they either share or don't believe those beliefs are harmful.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're doing really well, buying up all those studios seem to already be paying off and anything by 4AGames has got me interested. 80 games in development is insane for any studio let alone a relatively small on like them.

Uh they have over 2k employees counting external devs. I wouldn't really call thq small anymore.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
80 games in development is the definition of throwing things at the wall hoping that something will stick

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
If continued sales on PC for Metro had been really good I'm sure there would have been comment. So I'll doubt the status of those sales. Maybe good initial sales and then plummeted?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Risen: 77 on Metacritic (PC)

Risen 2: 69 on Meta Critic (PC)

Risen 3: 60 on OpenCritic

Elex 61 on OpenCritic

I don't think the studio's been doing that well....
Piranha Bytes makes very divisive games, but their fans are diehard fans. They also typically receive at least partial funding for their games from government grants. They probably weren't in such a terrible position, but considering their recent publishing relationship with THQN, this makes sense. Unfortunately for those of us who are both PB fans and who want nothing to do with THQN.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
80 games?!

I want to be excited, but I can't shake the feeling most of them are ports of old games.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
This next generation is going to be nothing but THQ Nordic games. The number of games they've got in development keep increasing but I swear we only see like two or three new re;eases, while Darksiders 2 and Saits Row 3 get ported to everything.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
This next generation is going to be nothing but THQ Nordic games. The number of games they've got in development keep increasing but I swear we only see like two or three new re;eases, while Darksiders 2 and Saits Row 3 get ported to everything.

Darksiders II is one of the best hack and slash looters out there, so that's not a bad thing in and of itself, lol

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm super excited to own Darksiders 2 for the third time regardless of the controversy with the publisher.

THQ Nordic has definitely made a major misstep but I won't punish devs because of their idiocy. Regardless at this point I'm surprised there's still threads made about their content with how much is typically just repeating the same 10 posts from the last THQ Nordic thread.

Nordic really frustrates me as one of the few publishers picking up "mid tier" titles and trying to give them the support they deserve, and then making me feel guilty/like shit every time I support developers for it :(