• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, you think that anyone that is against people enabling nazis and pedophiles is part of an angry mob because the enablers have no known history of supporting this kind of idiocy?

It wasn't that big of a deal normalizing 8chaners after all, it's the internet outrage all over again. /s

They had one decent thing to do and they chose to respond with the "hide it under the rug" process and policy, as it seems.

Incredibly dramatic nonsense won't help further your cause either. At least you confirmed for me that they have no known history of supporting those trash ideologies before this?

What was the decent thing to do? Fire people? I don't see how that's decent if they are good people who made a stupid mistake. If they have a history of supporting this stuff, ok, fire their asses. Otherwise, isn't making sure this never happens again the "decent thing to do"? Or does the angry mob only want blood?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Well then, good luck with your fight, all I will say is you definitely have lost any goodwill from me by now, so job well done, I suppose. Not that you care - "constructive discourse", my ass.

Much as I dislike the shitheads on the bad side, you're not a single bit better and clearly in some cases proud of that as well.

I'll better go vent my aggressions in Wreckfest then.
Lol. The usual "you are as bad as the pedo Nazis" argument when people disagree with you. Classic.

You never had any goodwill against the plight of others. Don't lie. If a bit of harsh words against pedo Nazis & large corporations who signalboosted them is enough to supposedly lose that goodwill.

ldcommando

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
there is a mod post they usually put in thqn threads that say you are not supposed to shame people for wanting to play the games they publish, I think. Or a am I thinking of something else?

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The thread's first page is full of immature posts, it's reveling in the controversy around THQ. I'm sure you also see how it doesn't atleast improve the discussion. There's definitely strict moderation and I personally like it, not that I would agree with every decision they make. But for me it makes this site one of the best places for gaming news and discussion (if not the best). I'm interested to read and talk about the politics in games in example, here I can do it without people shouting about "SJW:s" and "outrage culture" to my ear.
Which is why I'm still around as well. However, when my patience allows, I'll always try to debunk some horrible hot takes constantly happening around these parts. If this becomes GAF 2.0 I'll just stick with Reddit and specialized sites, so I'm kinda with the opposition here and as with politics, doing what I think is the best to keep this community alive.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you, I pick and choose spots to post these days on here for fear of being banned or ganged up on. It's like treading on thin ice here posting. This site is very good to get up to date news, Reviews etc. But people will attack your grammar on here to diminish your points, and will label you something over the slightest disagreement and its allowed.

I come here to read up on gaming news with a busy work schedule for the most part but that's about it. It's not a welcoming community in the least.

You just described the internet, and Era is far, far better for general chat and moderation of rude behaviour than any other forum of its type.

It is a very welcoming community. Maybe try some of the specific community threads. Few bad apples here and there, and people argue at times, but it is not at all like you say unless someone drops an awful, hateful post.

I mean, even in this thread we have MORE people in support of THQ or who feel the need to call then out has gone too far.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
It doesn't imply that at all. It isn't the wisest comment but all it says is that there's some irony that a company that KNOWINGLY gave a huge signalboost to a hive of pedo-Nazis is getting a reward in German gameshow (basically, "funny how the gamer community doesn't give a fuck"), a country that cracks down on Nazis/Nazi propaganda fairly hard. That doesn't imply anything about everyone at THQ being nazi supporters or that the poster thinks all Germans are Nazis (which is what you said in your first post).

And, again, "gamers" aren't some oppressed minority. "Gamers are trash" isn't some harmful generalization, it speaks volumes of the current state of the hobby where women, POC, gay & transgender people & such have to abandon it (or at least not participate as freely & openly as they'd like) because they face so much toxicity & harassment from (mostly male) gamers.

That's the way I interpreted his post, so I apologise to the poster if I misinterpreted what he said, it read like he was implying that Germans = Nazis and it seems that many other posters interpreted it that way as well, along with the mod team.

Even if that wasn't the intention of the poster, like you say yourself, it wasn't the wisest choice of wording but again, if I am wrong about this I apologise to the poster with complete sincerity.

"Gamers" when referring to people who identify themselves as such to align with a hateful ideology, I agree.

But "gamers" as a general term to describe people who enjoy the hobby of playing videogames most certainly does include oppressed minorities, POC, women, gay and transgender people all play videogames, so when a term like "gamers are trash" is used, for people who understand the context (you talking about an ideological hate group) it's acceptable but for most people outside of that it just seems like a harmful generalisation because it's effectively putting all those other groups under the same umbrella, for most people, gamer isn't a word associated with a hate group, it's just a descriptor that tells someone they enjoy playing videogames, for example, my neighbour is a casual videogame player, he plays Fifa a few times a month, when I first met him he asked me if I was a gamer, I don't think he was asking me if I was a member of a bigoted group of inviduals who have taken the word in a hateful ideological sense.

I do completely understand your perspective though, don't think I am dismissing it because I am not, there is massive problems with toxic behaviour, especially within online gaming communities and it does drive people away, especially the groups you have mentioned as most toxicity involves slurs regarding these groups and it's definitely something that needs huge improvement, just yesterday I got told to "get cancer" because I killed someone on counterstrike, so I know it exists but I also realise that the majority of people don't behave like this.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
You first mate.

fucking lol at dumbasses saying "you shouldn't boycott a company cause of what they do".
Yes I fucking can, that is what capitalism says all the time "VotE WItH yOuR WaLLet".

You absolutely have the right to boycott them (as am I, but I can still differentiate between Nordic as a publisher and their developers), but why do you feel the need to lash out against those who decide not to because they felt the apology wasn't enough? It's starting to feel like those who aren't happy with their response and are boycotting their games are getting angry not everyone is following their lead.

This is what happens when you start a campaign with no signs of an acceptable resolution and one that most people don't care about anymore. It builds resentment and anger towards those who have forgiven and decided to see is this a pattern of behaviour or a one off.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Like, what kind of opinions do you hold that you are afraid to post them? The only "dogpiling" I see are the kind that are either followed by clear trolling/low-effort posts, straight up misogyny, racism, homophobia or transphobia, or dismissal of other people's concerns (i.e. going to the "Why women criticize sexualized female character designs" thread with a "why do you people care so much, this is such a dumb thing to be worried about" post). All-in-ll ResetEra is filled with a whole plethora of different opinions that are discussed fairly calmly all around the board (with maybe some overboards here and there but the worst kind usually gets bans (when mods notice/are notified) if it goes beyond argumenting the points and turns personal)

Something like "Uncharted 4 is unplayable trash with shit graphics" will get you a lot of answers, some of them perhaps a bit harsh. "I didn't really enjoy Uncharted 4 because of X, Y & Z" generally doesn't, at least not the kind where people will attack you. You people always say this but, like, outside of some fanboyish behaviour (that is still pretty tame compared to the doxxing/death threats you can get on other platforms), you either have to post in a very provocative way or hold some very shitty views or bring up your unpopular views in a shitty way to get ganged up on. Like, I crap on 2001: A Space Odyssey all the time, one of the holy grails of movie buffs, and I don't feel particularly dogpiled on even when there are sometimes quite a few people who pick up on that.

Besides, what is so horrible in getting quoted by some people?
Having people label you as a "gamergater" despite them never meeting you in person? All over something that had little if at all to do with that? Or people being upset that you aren't fully in the know on stuff like that when in reality, people don't have the time or patience to get involved?

Or having someone correct a typo from your post with zero repercussion followed by someone labeling you as English not being your first language despite once again never meeting the person?

This forum has a bunch of petty users and it's allowed to be this way. Discussion is fine, disagreements are natural.... But not punishing someone who tells you "get out" of a thread is piss poor.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
No. check Wikipedia's SJW definition for a longer explanation of what I mean, don't just twist my words.

Yes, and? I mean, people that are against progressive views will call it SJW even when the poster are convicted in their beliefs since the wikipedia article all hangs on personal validation then conviction.

So we should just not be inclusive? I mean, how should we avoid getting the SJW tag then? Since it is almost impossible to know if views are true or just personal validation.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Jesus that 1st page... what a graveyard.

-----

Well, I'm a bit surprised since I'm not aware of they actually publish (but that's more on me than anything). That said, Desperados 3 does look like it could be fun.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Which is why I'm still around as well. However, when my patience allows, I'll always try to debunk some horrible hot takes constantly happening around these parts. If this becomes GAF 2.0 I'll just stick with Reddit and specialized sites, so I'm kinda with the opposition here and as with politics, doing what I think is the best to keep this community alive.
I hope you stick around and continue discussing things in constructive manner as you do. But I'd recommend paying less attention to what some people in the corners of internet think about the site. While your issue might be with the more extreme and unreasonable takes, theirs is with everything that involves so called social justice. It's okay to like THQ published games in Era, nobody is getting banned for it.
there is a mod post they usually put in thqn threads that say you are not supposed to shame people for wanting to play the games they publish, I think.
Yeah I believe that's the case.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yes, and? I mean, people that are against progressive views will call it SJW even when the poster are convicted in their beliefs since the wikipedia article all hangs on personal validation then conviction.

So we should just not be inclusive? I mean, how should we avoid getting the SJW tag then? Since it is almost impossible to know if views are true or just personal validation.
I'm pretty sure some "views" here are *very* easy to classify. But maybe that's just me.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Incredibly dramatic nonsense won't help further your cause either. At least you confirmed for me that they have no known history of supporting those trash ideologies before this?

What was the decent thing to do? Fire people? I don't see how that's decent if they are good people who made a stupid mistake. If they have a history of supporting this stuff, ok, fire their asses. Otherwise, isn't making sure this never happens again the "decent thing to do"? Or does the angry mob only want blood?

I can't confirm anything about the people involved, i do not know them and i wished i never did. However, you do not accidentally end up building an AMA on nazi sites and if you do, one of your bosses should stop you and not join along. It's common sense.

And yes, the decent thing to do is to let these people go because it was not just a stupid mistake. That is the proper reaction for nazi pedophile enablers, not pat on the wrist and hide till it's gone, this is serious stuff and decent companies should not let these go by.

Firing them will be more than enough on making sure this never ever happens again. But if you are a member of the board and a shareholder then anything you do can be excused by Wingeforz.

And as for who wants blood, it has been proven that it's the 8chaners that do, the ones normalized by the people got to keep their jobs.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it isn't good either. "SJW' has been used as a pejorative term for what feels like years now. And for some good reason. It really feels like a pretty sizeable group here are only doing it for personal validation rather than "the greater good", given how absurd some takes are.
In the way that SJW is nowadays used by the nazi alt right, the bit you're thinking about in the Wikipedia article has absolutely no meaning. It doesn't carry the "implication of doing it for self validation", it's used by the right as a perojative for anyone & everyone who dares act for the rights and equal & fair treatment of women & minorities. They don't think we are just doing it for self validation, they think that fighting for & discussing the rights & treatment of minorities & women, no matter the context or who is saying it or for what reason, is SJW nonsense that will destroy our glorious, white Western society.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I just read this news. What in the flying fuck. How tonedeaf can you be? Did THQN spent some bribing money?
This is unbelievable, I can't express how angry I am right now. Not that this awards mean something, but this company still needs to distance themselves from all the AMA stuff and taking measures against everyone that was involved in. In my eyes they are still okay with what happened.
And the Gamescom staff/folks/whatever had no idea about this? This reeks bad...

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Fuck THQN, fuck their non-apology, and fuck anyone making a grandstanding production out of how little they personally care.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Despite the big controversy,they have alot of great games coming. So no surprise here.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Leaving aside the controversy for a moment, I do think that THQ Nordic is actually doing a bit of important work. They're one of the only publishers who is consistently creating "B-Level" games. Not necessarily bad ones (in fact some may be quite good), but games that don't always go insane with budgets. A middle tier of software in between shovelware and giant AAA productions is something the industry sorely needs.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I will forever be cautious about THQ after the 8chan thing, but I see why they won it. A lot of new game, sequels and remakes in the works creating great experiences for new and old players and giving working opportunities to developers.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is so great about their game lineup? It is a game convention so I am almost suspicious that they might win for giving out the best t-shirts or something.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely okay to not care and buy the games.

But don't be disgusting and tell people to go away and shut up about it because it's ruining your enjoyment. They have just as much right to raise the concerns and there views!

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
They've had a strong presence at this year's Gamescom, therefore this news shouldn't be that surprising. I imagine most people don't really care about their infamous AMA.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Boycott still continues. Games looked nice and all, but gotta vote with my wallet after all. Bout to have my first kid, how will I look it in the eyes knowing I bought a game from a company that tried to normalize a Google banned site that supports pedophilia.

Plus all the other stuff the site was known for such as misogyny, white supremacy, Nazism, homophobia, transphobia, and much more.

Isn't the main dude responsible for the whole fiasco a very high up executive on the board? I also do recall seeing screenshots of some employees posting on 8chan bout some questionable stuff.

If you wanna still play their games then that's fine. But don't downplay their actions for those of us that care about these issues strongly.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Having positive feelings towards anything with ties to THQ Nordic ist normalizing hate, see just a post above yours for proof.
Following back that discussion it seems to have started about raising awareness of the THQ ama, nothing about vilifying people who are still interested in their games. I really don't see any harm in bringing it up in THQ related threads. People can still discuss the games in question and they don't have to engage in bickering if that AMA can be brought up or not. If people are attacking you for discussing and being interest in a game THQ Nordic publishes, I suggest reporting them. But bringing up the AMA isn't attacking or shaming anyone in itself.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeah they're congratulating developers that have absolutely nothing to do with 2 community people who made a dumbass move

Can we please stop spreading this lie? The people involved in the AMA were Philipp Brock (PR and marketing manager) and Reinhard Pollice (business and product development director), not two random "community people".

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand.

I, genuinely, can't understand.

They, knowingly, associated themselves with 8chan, a website well-known for being a haven of pedophiles and vile individuals.
The gaming press didn't react. At all. There was no coverage. And I find it impossible to believe this non-reaction could be explained by ignorance.
I'm not naïve: I guess that they aren't that many gaming websites willing to risk their relationship with such a huge company. It is all about the money after all. Everyone hopes that this thing will be forgotten, swept under the rug. And it is working.
I am ashamed of the gaming press. I am furious against the ones behind this event. I am thoroughly disgusted by this company and by the general apathy displayed by people who are aware of this event and prefer to shrug it off.

I will continue to denounce their actions. I have blacklisted this company, and I will not buy a single game developed by them ever again. I will keep on hoping that, maybe, someday, this will come and bite the ones behind this event in the butt. These people don't have my sympathy.
Agreed wholeheartedly.
I mean, it isn't good either. "SJW' has been used as a pejorative term for what feels like years now. And for some good reason. It really feels like a pretty sizeable group here are only doing it for personal validation rather than "the greater good", given how absurd some takes are.
This is garbage tier, gamergate equivalent rhetoric. You're literally defending the terms SJW and virtue signaling as if they had any merit. No one is arguing for representation, equality, or condemnation of bigotry for any other reason than those things are right.
Well then, good luck with your fight, all I will say is you definitely have lost any goodwill from me by now, so job well done, I suppose. Not that you care - "constructive discourse", my ass.

Much as I dislike the shitheads on the bad side, you're not a single bit better and clearly in some cases proud of that as well.

I'll better go vent my aggressions in Wreckfest then.
What. The. Fuck.
8chan has fostered such a toxic culture that no less than three mass shootings leading to over a hundred dead were perpetrated this year alone while glorifying the bigotry espoused by that site. You're actually comparing the condemnation of that with the people who support that vile, vitriolic, sub-human filth.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Isn't a staff rule not to vilify those
Having positive feelings towards anything with ties to THQ Nordic ist normalizing hate, see just a post above yours for proof.

Isn't it a staff rule that you're not to vilify people who still buy THQ Nordic games? Just like you're not supposed to vilify anyone who chooses to boycott them.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Jesus, THANK YOU. Finally someone able to post a fair assessment of the whole thing instead of criticising and crucifying a 1000+ employee business because of an out of touch / ignorant / call-it-whatever-you-want minority.

Keep fighting the good fight mate. Posts like this one are proof that there's intelligent life around these parts.
The members of the board of directors being called a minority is absurd. This wasn't perpetrated by a menial worker, it was orchestrated my the heads of the company.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
NO SECOND CHANCES FOR ANYONE EVER!

Honestly what sort of rationale is that. Given their actions, apology and the fact they haven't engaged in that sort of behaviour since Im more than happy to support some of the games they're putting out.

I don't understand how anyone can come to the conclusion that they're "complicit" in child porn or terrorism. Think some of y'all need a dictionary.

The award is deserved, they showed some cracking games and I'm hoping BioMutant will be fantastic.
I'm all for giving second chances, problem is they haven't even tried to make up for what they did.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This is garbage tier, gamergate equivalent rhetoric. You're literally defending the terms SJW and virtue signaling as if they had any merit. No one is arguing for representation, equality, or condemnation of bigotry for any other reason than those things are right.
I'm not "literally" defending anything. If you believe everybody has the same ideia about your personal ideals, I have some bad news for you.

The members of the board of directors being called a minority is absurd. This wasn't perpetrated by a menial worker, it was orchestrated my the heads of the company.
Dude, you're one of the reasons why this forum isn't taken seriously sometimes. "Orchestrated". Fucking delusional. Please explain to me WHY the board directors of a big publicly traded company would try to actively kill it in the meanest way possible.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think we're long past the point where anybody needs informing about what THQ did.

Obviously, holding an AMA on 8chan was dangerously stupid and it's a good enough reason to be completely turned off by them. Not wanting to buy THQ Nordic games because they advertised themselves on 8chan is an understandable position to take and nobody's complaining about that. But like any other self-boycotts it's also your prerogative.

Mine, and I think everybody else's big concern was the potential that a major game company like THQN would normalize 8chan and the rhetoric they use. That the only audience that THQN would now want/allow is shitheads on 8chan and having a big game company on their side isn't a good thing. And that just didn't happen. Eventually 8chan would garner its own massive backlash through mainstream coverage due to tragic event completely disconnected from THQN. The site was shut down, the alt-right lost a major platform, and everybody not a nazi hates 8chan now. In that regard the threat of 8chan normalizing nazism is over, not that it's still not a threat but it's still a major loss for them. Hell, THQN washed their hands basically right away and they haven't done anything similar before or after since. That's why it's easy to move on from. Not is 8chan and what it represents gone, but THQN hasn't shown any consistent right-wing or alt-right behavior before or after since. So it comes across less of them being shitty alt-right organization and more of a stupid marketing stunt done out of apathy by the management. It doesn't make it less wrong, but does make it easy to move on from. And where you stand on this is going to depend on where how ready you are to move on. Some never will which is fine, but this also didn't make a dent in the greater discourse around 8chan and internet nazism so it's easy not to care about it.

Ultimately though I think the approach we're taking with THQN is starting to get increasingly unnecessary. This forum talks about shitty companies all the time. Chick Fil A, unlike THQN, consistently has shitty values and does active harm to marginalized groups. Yet, that doesn't make anywhere near as much noise as this. Nintendo literally caved to Gamergate by firing an employee who was a target of theirs. Where's there copypasta telling them they were complicit in helping Gamergate? Those are whataboutisms sure but isn't "why do you care about EGS more?" and "Disney wouldn't have done this" also whataboutisms?

Not wanting to personally support THQN because of 8chan? Absolutely understandable. Discussing fighting nazis pedophiles online? Awesome I love doing that too. But going into some unrelated thread otherwise, and posting literally the exact same thing long after the point of relevance? I think you're better off discussing fighting internet Nazism elsewhere because it's not going to make much of a difference on top of ruining people's excitement for whatever remake is coming out.
I gotta go with this one

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NO SECOND CHANCES FOR ANYONE EVER!

Honestly what sort of rationale is that. Given their actions, apology and the fact they haven't engaged in that sort of behaviour since Im more than happy to support some of the games they're putting out.

I don't understand how anyone can come to the conclusion that they're "complicit" in child porn or terrorism. Think some of y'all need a dictionary.

The award is deserved, they showed some cracking games and I'm hoping BioMutant will be fantastic.

And had they ever engaged in this nonsense prior to the AMA? It's almost as if people are supposed to be perfect.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
What. The. Fuck.
8chan has fostered such a toxic culture that no less than three mass shootings leading to over a hundred dead were perpetrated this year alone while glorifying the bigotry espoused by that site. You're actually comparing the condemnation of that with the people who support that vile, vitriolic, sub-human filth.

I'm doing no such thing, but I can't be bothered to explain this again and in detail, especially to poeple who apparently are fine with (theoretically) killing of a whole company along because of two people on the top. Because that sounds reasonable.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not "literally" defending anything. If you believe everybody has the same ideia about your personal ideals, I have some bad news for you.

Dude, you're one of the reasons why this forum isn't taken seriously sometimes. "Orchestrated". Fucking delusional. Please explain to me WHY the board directors of a big publicly traded company would try to actively kill it in the meanest way possible.
I couldn't care less about what alt-right schlock jocks have to say.

Delusional? Reinhardt Pollice actively participated, and you're calling me delusional for accurately stating as much? Do you even know what happened that day? What was done and who did it is thoroughly recorded on this very board.

Why would they do that? I don't know, but I imagine harboring beliefs that align with the bigotry and hatred 8chan represents is a pretty good assumption considering they followed through with the plan despite an ocean of reasons not to throughput the entire process.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I'm doing no such thing, but I can't be bothered to explain this again and in detail, especially to poeple who apparently are fine with (theoretically) killing of a whole company along because of two people on the top. Because that sounds reasonable.
Who's saying the whole company should be "killed", exactly?

I'm personally hoping for something to be done about it infernally; whether they fire the people responsible or if they choose to personally apologize for it. None of that seems likely at this point so I'll just look elsewhere for my entertainment needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.