• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Rock Paper Shotgun publishes top 10 best selling Steam games weekly.

The week after Exodus was pulled from Steam, it registered as number 6... on the strength of a day's worth of last-minute pre-orders (the game was pulled on a Monday).

I'm sure that spike accounts for a good portion of the initial profit. With no price competition driving the price down while the game's exclusive to EGS, I can see its long-tail being pretty poor.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
If games were selling well on the EGS we'd be hearing a lot more. I don't think its a coincidence their big store wide sale happened right before E3, to make their numbers look better for those E3 meetings with publishers.

Also telling that it's very long sale. Steam Summer sale already is very long and this is more than double the length and everything is sold at loss due to $10 discount.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just want to echo all the sentiments made here, but I'm so glad to see this news, especially after Epic tried to claim this game was doing SOOO great on their storefront (Eyeroll).

I can only hope to see similar thread titles about future Epic exclusives selling poorly or below expectations.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I read this more like "wow the console market really is a good place to be" just like how Witcher 2 and 3 did better on consoles than PC by a large amount t

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Impossible. I was told repeatedly that PC gamers were just gonna shut up and use the EGS anyways.

Could it be that a lot of Era doesn't have a clue when it comes to PC gaming?
You could have honestly not added a "when it comes to pc gaming". Wouldn't trust this board to know different types of clouds.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I read this more like "wow the console market really is a good place to be" just like how Witcher 2 and 3 did better on consoles than PC by a large amount t

That was only true at launch (because the nature of consoles means physical copies are still a big thing and must be shipped before, which means they have a dedicated shipment already)
Witcher3-670x377.jpg

zon

Oct 28, 2017

Multiplat games always sell better on consoles. I suppose the only exceptions would be RTS games and similar genres.

Edit: RPGSs too apparently ☺

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
The game isn't good, plus the technical state at release was straight up garbage. EGS surely plays a part in it but its not the whole side of the story

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Glad the series has seen growth at least overall on console systems.
The reedux games and long lead up to Exodus gave me time to brought me and become a big fan of the series.

Plus Exodus was pretty great!

Reset: Oh my god, don't work too hard developers! We value you - crunch is EVIL. 4A sacrificed so much to finish Metro: Last Light!

Also Reset: lmao glad your game sold badly, don't wrong us gamers again

I have noticed this weird trend on Era where posters are using crunch to beat up other players up when they have legit gripes.
It's really strange.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Yet fallout 4 sold well despite those factors

I think Fallout always sell well simply because its Bethesda and nobody gives a shit about it, since you know, mods. Consumers have been wanting solid ports and whatnot since Arkham Knight it feels like. I've been enraged about Bethesda since more than a decade and only F 76 / TES Blades actually got slammed. Feels like progress still, but a slow one

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Utterly shocking to no one, other than perhaps the tribal support of Egs circulating from platform warring folks with no interest beyond this in the PC ecosystem, and that demonstrably show no knowledge what service providers are actually doing.

Also double shock that the extraordinarily vague statements from Epic were completely misleading

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It matters. Sure they got money either way, but not selling actual copies affects the awareness and following of their brand and thus future sales.
I'm sure that Epic is happy to pay a ton of money for a game that doesn't sell, and that the dev/pub is happy that their long term prospects on the platform have taken a hit. Lol.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
How much you wanna bet these idiots are gonna try and sell for $60 when this hits steam next year

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I legitimately cannot believe how in the actual heck THQN has 80 games in development. Sincerely do not understand how that's sustainable. Probably the most incredibly scary thing I've ever seen in my entire life and I'm not even involved. Especially since they don't have any development studios that are amazing. 4A games and Volition are the only proven ones and even they aren't exactly "amazing". They put out good games. But not amazing games. Everything else they have is very A or AA. I think they're like one big hit away from becoming the next E3 presenter if they can keep up their production.

Jun 26, 2018
THQNordic and EGS is like the power couple of offending business decisions right now.

They deserve each other, but the rest of us deserve better.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It matters. Sure they got money either way, but not selling actual copies affects the awareness and following of their brand and thus future sales.

It was the end of the Metro trilogy, so maybe they don't really mind the series' name losing its shine since there's nothing left to do with it?

Well it does matter. If i understood correctly Epic pays for guaranteed number of sold copies (let's say 500K) in advance. That means that until game reaches 500K sold copies publisher gets nothing. And point is to have constant income. So if game never reaches 500K sold copies on Epic Store publisher won;t get anymore money.

I see what you mean, but if that number was sufficient to coast by until it hits Steam and GOG (e.g. at least around the lower bound of what they hoped to sell), it wouldn't really matter, right.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty clear to anybody who has been paying attention that the EGS hasn't been doing as well as expected. The fact that we have a loss leading ''Mega Sale'' to try and buy customers in to their eco system tells it's own story. The only sad part is that a lot of people fall for this shit. Rather than exercise a bit of self control and demand better it's ''ooooooh but it's really cheap''. I mean it's cheap for a fucking reason, it's loss leading and offers less than the vast majority of digital stores out there.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This was obvious when Epic was blatantly trying to spin the numbers into being positive by only using relative amounts.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Wonderful news! I hope that in time developers and publishers start feeling that Epic's money isn't worth it.

Now by the time Exodus arrives on Steam it will be old, and should be selling for at least $20. Try and push $60 for your old game, and you will continue to fail.

Third party PC games should be on as many stores and launchers on day one, as possible!

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I see what you mean, but if that number was sufficient to coast by until it hits Steam and GOG (e.g. at least around the lower bound of what they hoped to sell), it wouldn't really matter, right.

It is easy to spend money. From what we know next two quarters will be light for THQ, and THQ is publicly traded company so if you are not making money your share price goes down.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Surely Tim Sweeney will do it himself, after all, he said it was Valve's moral responsibility to make a SteamSpy equivalent themselves

edit: whoops double post, sorry

I heard this a couple of times, never saw the source of the quote, do you know where/when he said that?

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way I can get this on Steam? id love to play it on PC but dont want to support the EGS.