• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

Interesting spin!

Epic Store is number one if you exclude the primarily physical console sales. I don't know for what reason you would do this.

It also beat out Steam, but I don't think they had any major (or even any at all?) new releases on Steam for this time period.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Interesting spin!

Epic Store is number one if you exclude the primarily physical console sales. I don't know for what reason you would do this.

It also beat out Steam, but I don't think they had any major (or even any at all?) new releases on Steam for this time period.

LOL, beautiful spin! He's an expert at this.

Oct 27, 2017
When will people learn that "we are the #1 platform!" means nothing without actual numbers. PS4 and Xbox One version could have sold 500 copies between the two and 501 on EGS and that would be technically correct.

And the number must not be very good, since they had no problem rallying behind the WWZ 250k or so copies.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
During its latest financial results, THQ Nordic noted that Metro Exodus sales made it "the largest game launch" in the company's history, but that the "absolute majority" of those sales were on console. Many fans of the historically computer-focused series took that to mean PC players had abandoned the game over its Epic store exclusivity, but CEO Lars Wingefors says that's not the case.

I s...

Wingefors adds "my statement yesterday" – that 'absolute majority' bit noted by many on Twitter – "about console share of Metro Exodus sales was referring to the two console platforms combined – both physical and digital revenue. This is still the majority of the revenues of Metro Exodus."

Oh.

lmao

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
"DoN'T yOu GuYs KnOw WhAt Pr Is?!?! EvErYoNe DoEs ThIs!"

I await the unironic version of this sentiment

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

Interesting spin!

"PS4 strongest platform for Uncharted; state of PS4 strong"

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
HOLD THE LINE!

Seriously though, real test will be Borderlands 3. As much as I hate what epic is doing, I have a strange feeling alot of folks going to cave for that one

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
That Sweeney tweet reads like a Trump tweet.

Too bad Tweet Mashup seems to be completely broken at the moment. I'd think there'd be interesting results mixing their tweets together.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they provide actual numbers, its just pr spin. Also hard not to be number 1 when you pay to have exclusives.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
HOLD THE LINE!

Seriously though, real test will be Borderlands 3. As much as I hate what epic is doing, I have a strange feeling alot of folks going to cave for that one
That's part of the problem, though - when these folks cave and buy Borderlands 3 on EGS, what's going to make them continue buying games on EGS moving forward?

For instance, I bought Control in the EGS sale because Epic was dumb enough to give me 10 dollars for free, effectively giving me nearly 50% off on an unreleased game (due to regional pricing). That doesn't mean I have any incentive to buy more games from them moving forward. Why would I?

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
They're paying crazy money for the right to say they had x game come out on their digital store first and I'm smiling from ear to ear knowing it's been a disaster for both Epic and the publisher.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017

Interesting spin!

I love how Trumpian his tweeting style has become.

This is gold.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
EGS is not a personal thing, or at least not this literally personal. The actual games division of the company is entirely dependent on Fortnite BR being successful right now, and that happened mostly due to luck with how well fit the OG Fortnite assets were for making a PUBG-like. The third party UE support division is doing okay, mostly due to success with marketing the thing to Japanese developers, but at the same time it took a huge hit due to downsizing of Western AA sector, AAAAAA sector mostly preferring to roll own its engines to cut the cut out from Epic, and indies overwhelmingly choosing Unity. And then you run into the fact that Valve claimed they'll give Source 2 out for free as long as games using it launch on Steam - this did not happen because Valve has not released Source 2 SDK (yet? ever?), but you can imagine that if it worked well this could absolutely destroy UE adoption. So Epic looked for something else, and they came up with countering Steam with their own store. The "UE licence covered for sales on EGS" is a weaker version of the Source 2 deal (though not unfair, given cuts' sizes).

It's kinda like Steam modernizing chat at the same time Discord launched a store.

I doubt Source 2 will ever be any sort of serious threat to Unreal Engine, Valve probably has like 10 people working on it at the most and they'll probably never be able to compete with features that Unreal has because Epic probably has way more people working on the engine. I doubt we'll see a lot of console specific optimizations and documentation if the Source 2 SDK releases which will hurt it's adoption.
Apparently Valve has a pretty good relationship with Unity (I've heard they're actually in the same office) and Valve does work in Unity. If anything I could see Valve teaming up with Unity in some way.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
if it means Epic fucks off forever, I can't either
Well, to be honest, I think that at this point I would also like EPIC to just leave pc gaming alone for good. I dont think there is anything that makes me want to use it ever, in some weird way it almost feels personal.

But the original comment was a bit tongue in cheeck and I meant that hopefully pubs will read this correctly and not jump into some weird rabbit hole where games dont sell and everybody is a pirate.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unless they provide actual numbers, its just pr spin. Also hard not to be number 1 when you pay to have exclusives.

Its number 1 because he removed physical sales of consoles. Which is meaningless and proves nothing since we have no sales ratio of digital / physical of the game on consoles.