• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the other thread

Wingefors
- especially happy with the performance of #MetroExodus on digital platforms
- 'absolute majority' of the revenue comes from console platforms
- strong sales on both #PS4 and #XboxOne
- no comment on PC sales

Wingefors definitely doesn't want to talk about Epic Games Store. Metro Exodus did, after a small bit of hesitation, "a bit better than expected...in the beginning of the year". He's not excited. He bluntly discards the question of Satisfactory's sales performance on EGS lol.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Well, I'm a big fan of Metro and I will wait until it releases on Steam. The anti-Epic sentiment is pretty significant, and it shows. Not surprised.

I think piracy has played a large part in it as well. I'd imagine some people were really pissed off and pirated the game to not give them a single cent.

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
I hope all the money the EGS gave them was worth alienating their fans on steam.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Am I misremembering or wasn't there news about Metro Exodus sales on EGS to be absolutely amazing and better than expected around the launch window?

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Good, hopefully other games that went for EGS exclusivity do as poorly and it stops other publishers from doing the same.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that record breaking lanuch thread told me different

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Well, I'm a big fan of Metro and I will wait until it releases on Steam. The anti-Epic sentiment is pretty significant, and it shows. Not surprised.

I think piracy has played a large part in it as well. I'd imagine some people were really pissed off and pirated the game to not give them a single cent.
That last second move from the publisher didn't really help too.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of this have we gotten an idea of how well games have performed on the EGS?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
But Epic told us Metro: Exodus did quite well in the EGS.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
they dont care, that is what the egs payout was for. be profitable even if they sell 0 unit.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
giphy.gif

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Metro Exodus sales on PC strong in the beginning? You mean when people like me rushed to buy it on Steam before it was taken off for the Epic store?

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Am I misremembering or wasn't there news about Metro Exodus sales on EGS to be absolutely amazing and better than expected around the launch window?
IIRC, they were talking about how Exodus was doing better than the other two games on PC, but the wording danced around the fact that it had been available on Steam for the majority of the time it was up for pre-order.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Impossible. I was told repeatedly that PC gamers were just gonna shut up and use the EGS anyways.

Could it be that a lot of Era doesn't have a clue when it comes to PC gaming?

Last edited:

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
But it sold 2.5x something.

Outside of this have we gotten an idea of how well games have performed on the EGS?

Metro Exodus is best selling game. WWZ second best selling (250k units).
We don't know what metric they used tho (units or revenue). Epic hasn't talked about other games nor publishers.

Metro Exodus sales on PC strong in the beginning? You mean when people like me rushed to buy it on Steam before it was taken off for the Epic store?

Seems to hint that way.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Good. Hopefully EGS exclusives do so terribly and damage the brands so much that it continues to make devs / pubs hesitant to make anti-consumer exclusivity deals.
There as a cherry-picked, non-specific statement from Epic that said it sold 2.5x than Last Night did on Steam during some perioid of time, without specifying if it counted the Redux version (so it obviously didn't) and stuff like that... I don't remember the details but it was shady and intentionally vague lol.

Oct 27, 2017
There is a problem here. Satisfactory is only available on Epic Games Store as far as I know and this game is credited as a "better than expected" performance, so I don't understand how Wingefors could have been disappointed ?

Net sales of business area Coffee Stain were SEK 98 million. In the quarter we had a successful early access launch of Satisfactory on the Epic Games store. The game's launch performance exceeded management's expectations at the time of our acquisition of Coffee Stain.

http://www.thqnordic-investors.com/en/financial-reports/?releaseId=3313007

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
We need something like an EGSpy website to help us figure out sales numbers.

Someone call the Steamspy guy. I'm sure he's not too busy right now.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yes, that's definitely talking about when Last Night was #1 on Steam for like a whole evening. Then the EGS deal became effective and rip sales lol.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Surely Tim Sweeney will do it himself, after all, he said it was Valve's moral responsibility to make a SteamSpy equivalent themselves

edit: whoops double post, sorry

data

Oct 25, 2017

Can't be done. They don't have a public facing api that's good enough, especially with the other issues that seem to be going on in their backend

Jun 1, 2018
I cancelled my preorder and steam. even when it comes to steam i wont buy it because im not support business practices like that. guess im not the only one.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Continued inflammatory generalizations against the community and its members
Reset: Oh my god, don't work too hard developers! We value you - crunch is EVIL. 4A sacrificed so much to finish Metro: Last Light!

Also Reset: lmao glad your game sold badly, don't wrong us gamers again

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
they dont care, that is what the egs payout was for. be profitable even if they sell 0 unit.
A bit nebulous of course without concrete numbers, but even if they weren't great...

... there's that, so it doesn't matter.

Well it does matter. If i understood correctly Epic pays for guaranteed number of sold copies (let's say 500K) in advance. That means that until game reaches 500K sold copies publisher gets nothing. And point is to have constant income. So if game never reaches 500K sold copies on Epic Store publisher won;t get anymore money.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Unlike Ubisoft that benefited greatly by getting a big push to uPlay, i don't see how these exclusive deals are good for publishers. I mean maybe franchise juggernauts like Borderlands 3 will be fine, but not less known ones.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Reset: Oh my god, don't work too hard developers! We value you - crunch is EVIL. 4A sacrificed so much to finish Metro: Last Light!

Reset: Don't complain, vote with your wallets!

Also Reset: Omg fucking GAMERS celebrating that voting with their wallets worked.

I can do this too

OP
OP

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The game is otherwise successful, though.

But hey, knock yourself out shilling anti-consumer practices for a publisher who endorsed pedophilia.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018

I don't think Metro Exodus sold badly overall. It probably underperformed on pc though.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017

First of all, most of us are laughing at Deep Silver, not 4A Games because the publisher was the one that made the deal for the game to be EGS exclusive, knowing full well how the series grew on PC and especially on Steam so they decided to yank it out of that store at the last minute without thinking how it will impact in sales.

Second, it's called voting with your wallet. I'm sure once 2020 comes and Exodus can be on multiple storefronts, people will support the game more.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
If games were selling well on the EGS we'd be hearing a lot more. I don't think its a coincidence their big store wide sale happened right before E3, to make their numbers look better for those E3 meetings with publishers.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
So Epic was in fact full of shit when they reported (vaguely as fuck) the game's performance on EGS... L-O-L

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
IIRC, they were talking about how Exodus was doing better than the other two games on PC, but the wording danced around the fact that it had been available on Steam for the majority of the time it was up for pre-order.

Good. Hopefully EGS exclusives do so terribly and damage the brands so much that it continues to make devs / pubs hesitant to make anti-consumer exclusivity deals.

There as a cherry-picked, non-specific statement from Epic that said it sold 2.5x than Last Night did on Steam during some perioid of time, without specifying if it counted the Redux version (so it obviously didn't) and stuff like that... I don't remember the details but it was shady and intentionally vague lol.

oh Okay Is see. thanks!