• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
gettyimages-692773870_-_h_2017.jpg

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Aladdin’ Spinoff Featuring Prince Anders in the Works at Disney+ (Exclusive)

An 'Aladdin' spinoff featuring Prince Anders (Billy Magnussen) is in the works for Disney+.
In what marks a whole new world for Disney, the studio is developing its first spinoff from one of its live-action remakes.

Disney has hired Jordan Dunn and Michael Kvamme to pen a script for an Aladdin offshoot centered on Prince Anders, the scene-stealing character played by Billy Magnussen in the live-action film released earlier this year, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Magnussen would reprise the part in a feature, which is in early development for Disney+, the company's newly launched streaming service. The project is not a sequel to Aladdin, which is also in the planning stages at the studio.
Overdressed and on the dim side, Anders was royalty from a fictional kingdom named Skanland and a suitor for the hand of Princess Jasmine. While only in less than a handful of scenes, as played by Magnussen with a mix of goofiness and haughty idiocy, the character, who was an original creation for the live-action remake, made a fun impression on audiences.
Give work to a white actor if old.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
So the dude who plays Aladdin doesn't know if he's getting any follow-up work, but the lone white dude in a one note bit-part is getting a spin-off.

David Anders is funny, but holy shit, what the fuck

Antoo

May 1, 2019
So the dude who plays Aladdin doesn't know if he's getting any follow-up work, but the lone white dude in a one note bit-part is getting a spin-off.

I mean it says right in the article that they are also developing Aladdin 2.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

The article says that a sequel is in the works

Oct 26, 2017
I vaguely remember his character from the live-action Aladdin, and I can't for the life of me think of who would actually want this show.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
He was actually my favorite character...but lol @ the one white character getting the spin off.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked this character enough in the movie and I've liked the actor in a few other roles, so I'm down for this.

Alladin doesn't deserve a Disney+ show; he deserves a full on sequel with Genie by his side.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Had to YouTube the scene to even remember who he is, it's such a bit part. Yeah... we don't really need a series based on this dude.

Not surprised in the slightest about Massoud not getting work, though. Naomi Scott nearly blew him off the damn magic carpet in A Whole New World. He is not charismatic at all. He's just sort of... there.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't usually buy into conspiracy theories, but like...the only way this story makes sense to me is if it's a response to the story about Mena Moussoud by some mega racist taht wanted to double down on it. Like they thought "Oh, good, the brown person isn't getting work. Hm, how can I capitalize on that? Oh, I know, why don't we have a story where the only white dude in Aladdin is getting offers for a spin off!"

Why was there a white dude in Aladdin anyway?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't usually buy into conspiracy theories, but like...the only way this story makes sense to me is if it's a response to the story about Mena Moussoud by some mega racist taht wanted to double down on it. Like they thought "Oh, good, the brown person isn't getting work. Hm, how can I capitalize on that? Oh, I know, why don't we have a story where the only white dude in Aladdin is getting offers for a spin off!"

The Sultan was inviting princes from around the world to see who was worthy of marrying Jasmine and taking his position.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck? Dude was even more obnoxious than most of the rest of the movie, which is saying a lot.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I remember him, but I don't really remember what he did in his scenes.

At least a sequel to the actual movie is in the works

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
In the movie the Sultan was inviting princes from around the world to see who was worthy of marrying Jasmine and taking his position.
I know that, but I mean why was there a white dude in Aladdin.

They could have just as easily had it be other middle eastern suiters. Prince Achmed played a rival suitor in the original Aladdin. And from what I'm seeing, it's not like they had Black or Asian suitors.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I think it's the opposite. Moussoud spoke out cuz he heard this was happening.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, when I see 'Disney+ Aladdin show', I don't think the white guy who was barely in the movie as the main character.

That's one hell of a twist.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
So like is disney+ just a service for spinoff characters of all their franchises? Dear god if you look at their slate of upcoming original content it looks pretty ridiculous