• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
It lays out a history of the DC Universe that doesn't line up with Snyder's Justice League that was running concurrently, and then Johns said that Superman was the original hero and everything in the universe is based around that, then Wonder Woman 750 came out and said, no, actually, Wonder Woman is the key and she was the first hero. To make things ever more laughable, after Snyder's JL finished, the subsequent JL run contradicts stuff from Snyder's run and Bendis's Superman books.

Personally I can't keep up with DC and it's constant retcons. I am still annoyed by Perpetua and it's simultaneous retconning of Morrison's Final Crisis and Mike Carey's Lucifer.

Marvel has problems as well, but there cosmology has always seemed a little less muddled. Even the One Below All stuff works, as they have avoided making Mephisto the real "devil", and the new cosmology introduced in the Valkyrie comic with the Death of Deaths (opposite of the Living Tribunal, and also explains the Cancerverse) and the Anti Tree makes sense.

Hell at this stage, even though it's a bullshit rumor being spread by cosmic book news (e.g. comicsgate shit rag), I would welcome Marvel being in control of DC comics just so they can clean the shit up and have one single minded vision for the continuity.

Last edited:

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget the Perpetua story bizarrely ended with her winning, our heroes running into a magic door and then the JLA carrying on like nothing happened.

Apparently the story will be completed in some unspecified future title that promises you won't need to have read the previous issues to understand. An absolute shambles. Utter waste of everyone's time.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Don't forget the Perpetua story bizarrely ended with her winning, our heroes running into a magic door and then the JLA carrying on like nothing happened.

Apparently the story will be completed in some unspecified future title that promises you won't need to have read the previous issues to understand. An absolute shambles. Utter waste of everyone's time.

I really dislike her character, especially when her story arch has no real lasting consequences. My issue is that she is hard to rectify with existing canon without adding anything to the overall narrative.

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

I knew I was right to bail on the Perpetua arc when I did. That shit was just carrying on too long.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Hell at this stage, even though it's a bullshit rumor being spread by cosmic book news (e.g. comicsgate shit rag), I would welcome Marvel being in control of DC comics just so they can clean the shit up and have one single minded vision for the continuity.

It almost happened before. If not for smaller publishers hitting Marvel with an antitrust suit for putting out too many books stalling things out long enough for Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns to happen, DC would have licensed their comics to Marvel and managed the tv, movie and merchandising stuff in house.

EDIT: Adding sourcing -

Last edited:

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
It almost happened before. If not for smaller publishers hitting Marvel with an antitrust suit for putting out too many books stalling things out long enough for Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns to happen, DC would have licensed their comics to Marvel and managed the tv, movie and merchandising stuff in house.

I remember reading about that. Which is probably what the "rumour" is inspired by.

Nov 1, 2017
If Marvel does one thing right that DC should adapt is have the whole thing on a sliding scale, DC goes nuts with reboots but Marvel tends to say oh this only happened ten years ago instead of during Vietnam. They do some big changes on a minor scale and it just fits right in, not to say they don't do some fuck ups but where as DC turns it into an event Marvel just accepts something and moves on.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Its the upcoming Death Metal event. Snyder says that the event starts seconds after the end of JL #39.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
If Marvel does one thing right that DC should adapt is have the whole thing on a sliding scale
Sliding scale is terrible in that to maintain continuity without cutting anything loose the past 50 years of comics have to have happened in the last 15. There's basically a major crisis every other week at that point.

Moreover you get characters like Magneto who are intrinsically linked to a major historical event and whose ages are just going to make less and less sense. His and Xavier's friendship is already getting a bit lopsided in terms of age and experience. In another 20 years you're either going to have a 60 year old Xavier meeting a 67 year old Magneto back when he was in college in his 20s and formed a "lifelong" friendship or you're going to have Xavier starting the X-Men when he's 80.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sliding time scale has some logic issues in the long run, but DC's reboots just split their own fanbase, making them incredibly shortsighted.

Technically the story is continuing right now in Hell Arisen, with the heroes having disappeared and the Batman who Laughs now facing Luthor and Perpetua.

Personally I can't keep up with DC and it's constant retcons. I am still annoyed by Perpetua and it's simultaneous retconning of Morrison's Final Crisis and Mike Carey's Lucifer.

The issue with Morrison's Final Crisis stuff is that it was mostly a meta-narrative. It also clashed with what had been established in CoIE and even earlier comics too (like no hand in the beginning of creation and the monitors being born before the single universe split into infinite ones). The Snyder version sets up their first origins (and explains what was up with Johns' recent take on the Anti-Monitor seemingly being born as a mortal), although ignores Morrison's meta-fictional concepts.

Last edited:

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel having more control of the comic book industry is the dumbest idea. However, I totally believe people here would love it so I am not surprised seeing people suggest it