• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

In an episode of the Netflix podcast Present Company, hosted by Krista Smith, Murphy reflected on his performance career and mentioned that he's planning to embark on a tour. "Next year, I'm going to tour, do some standup," he said, before joking that it will be "back to the couch" after that — a reference to his infrequent film projects throughout the years.

Asked whether he has any nerves about going back on tour, Murphy said, "No.... when I think about doing standup, this is the perfect analogy — when you go to the pool, and the water is cold, freezing, and you go, 'Ah, the water's f—ing cold' before you jump in, that's how I feel with standup. It's that feeling of, ooh, it's going to be freezing when you first jump in. That's not nervous or scared, that's just, I know the water is cold."

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Dooooooooooooope.

tickets will probably be hard to get and expensive.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Hope he doesn't fall into the old comedian trap of just complaining about what he can't joke about anymore

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I kinda want to blind buy tickets and go because it's Eddie Murphy but ...the string of bad movies he's done since, what, Boomerang? ...Suggests it would probably be pretty disappointing.

Hope he doesn't fall into the old comedian trap of just complaining about what he can't joke about anymore
He did take responsibility for his old homophobic routines and apologized years and years ago, at least. But yeah, this too.

Oct 27, 2017
Prediction 1 year from now:

"This is bullshit! I can't believe he's saying the things he's saying! Go back to obscurity!"

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
He did take responsibility for his old homophobic routines and apologized years and years ago, at least. But yeah, this too.

I was thinking about that and while my post did sound pessimistic I'm actually holding on to some hope that he isn't going to go down that path, but boy does it seem to be well tread by comedians of his era these days.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I was thinking about that and while my post did sound pessimistic I'm actually holding on to some hope that he isn't going to go down that path, but boy does it seem to be well tread by comedians of his era these days.
It's hard to predict. Those specials are over 30 years old and it was very common to use gay as a pejorative and his apology came in the early 90s, suggesting he got a clue fairly quickly. But after Chappelle's last special... :/

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Check out his Comedians in Cars getting Coffee with Seinfeld on Netflix. It's really good.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
i cant read the words "stand up tour" nowadays without instantly thinking that the person is going to do an attack helicopter joke

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
comedians who go the tv or movie route always lose their edge. happened to martin lawrence, chris rock and i think the same will be said of eddie murphy. i'll tune in because i'm curious but i'm not expecting anything good.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
How long before some people try to handwave away transphobia and sexual assault? Should we take bets?

what..? what exactly did Eddie Murphy do? do i dare Google it..? ugh.... WHY can't i enjoy any fucking comedian these days, everyone seems to be problematic, even Seinfeld seems to go too far now (dude making "in China they all look the same" type of joke on his new show, etc).

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This is going to be amazing.

Given that the best moments from Raw and Delirious had nothing to do with his gay jokes, I'm sure he'll do fine in 2019.

Even if they found a way to edit out the homophobic stuff in both those shows, they'd still be fucking legendary.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what..? what exactly did Eddie Murphy do? do i dare Google it..? ugh.... WHY can't i enjoy any fucking comedian these days, everyone seems to be problematic, even Seinfeld seems to go too far now (dude making "in China they all look the same" type of joke on his new show, etc).
He didn't do anything (that I know of). It's that a lot of comedians (Like Louis CK and Dave Chappelle) have been saying and doing a lot of shitty things lately and people have, rightly, been calling them out for it.

However there are some people (like the dude I responded to) who think holding people responsible for the terrible actions is a bad thing.

Oct 29, 2017
How long before some people try to handwave away transphobia and sexual assault? Should we take bets?

Uhhh I dont think Eddie is afraid of transsexuals.

He didn't do anything (that I know of). It's that a lot of comedians (Like Louis CK and Dave Chappelle) have been saying and doing a lot of shitty things lately and people have, rightly, been calling them out for it.

However there are some people (like the dude I responded to) who think holding people responsible for the terrible actions is a bad thing.

What terrible actions has Chappelle performed?

Last edited:

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds cool. Here is hoping he doesn't come out with some wack "cancel and/or PC culture is ruining comedy/society" and "Trans people are hilarious" jokes.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude saw how much those Netflix specials are raking in for guys like Chappelle and Chris Rock.

Do a 8-10 city arena tour to tune things up at 80 bucks a ticket x 18-20K, take the best one and slap it on Netflix and collect your 20 million.

Murphy is one of the few who can definitely command that kind of money.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What terrible actions has Chappelle performed?
really.gif

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): excusing transphobia

I don't see how Louis CK and David Chappelle are remotely comparable situations to one another. One of the two is an admitted sexual predator, and the other has some unpopular opinions.