• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely surprised WB signed off on this. You're letting an actor who has never written anything before write one of your tentpoles? What?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Miller wants to stay in this but will likely lose out, he knows the DCEU is already fucked and he wants to get that Aquaman/WW bailout before they kick him out.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Did WB actually sign off on this? It sounds like a fantastically poor idea. First, Miller isn't a writer. Second, Morrison isn't a film writer. I don't even know if he even writes for television outside of animated adaptations of his own old comics. And finally, darker is obviously the wrong direction given recent history at the box office, let alone for that version of Barry Allen / Flash.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Ezra I trust, not every comic movie has to light hearted and super fun.
Ezra writing this is basically the movie version of:

2JLjp.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Erza can leave. His take on Barry Allen was insulting to the character if you read the comics. Very goofy and childish throughout the entire movie of Justice League. He felt more like Bart Allen instead of Barry Allen.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh maybe if Ezra was doing it solo and not having grant morrison with him. Plus he probably has other writers too, if Ezra didn't care he could've just bailed.
Writing comics is a bit different than writing films, but sure, the fact that he is there is better than just Ezra alone. But look at it from my point of view, Ezra is an actor (the lead actor no less), and I get he wants to play the part, but he is basically saying I know better than all the actual professional writers out there and am just going to write for myself. Actors are notorious for thinking they can write, and arguing with the actual writers and directors about what is best for the character. Sometimes, to their credit, they produce some gems (though usually, for most, they don't), but individual lines or character moments are not the same thing as writing the entire screenplay. The fact that WB is actually going along with this is bizarre. Even if they're just doing it to humor him and then boot him off the project -- like, why? It's not normal for this to happen.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ezra was very unhappy with the current script, and the report claims that if Warner chooses Miller/Morrison they risk losing the directors (which would make them the third directors to leave the film) and if they stick with the current one, Miller is considering leaving

This seems bad for a film you want releasing in '20, either way
Wonder what's wrong with the current script

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
I've said so before and I'll repeat it again - The Flash as we know it with Ezra is dead. WB is simply prolonging the inevitable.

DC is set for the next 5 years and The Flash ain't part of it.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
He wants to stay as Flash and at least stay now that the DCEU is basically over and everything is getting replanned aside from WW, Aquaman and Squad. That means a lot of changes and he wants to attempt to keep his Flash role he knows will make money.

The DCEU is alive and well? Miller is a talented actor, but this is a dumb move. What is he thinking?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Dark movies are perfectly fine as long as they are well made.

Plus it's the Flash so you can easily have a good ending.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Morrison's idea of a dark movie is one where things are fucked up at the start and in the middle but the most hopeful shit ever by the end. I'm sure this will gel well with what Miller wants lol

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Warner's is just running as a parallel concept option though it's likely to piss off yet more talented directors who will either quit if it's greenlighted or else just resent Ezra if they run with their original ideas. Seems like a dumb move either way.

Having seen Game Night I think the directors had a good handle of black comedy.

I think Miller is just burned by the Whedoning of JL and worries 'his movie' will be similarly blighted.

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a shocking move and if the studio, which is already on the path of fun and light (see Aquaman, Shazam!) but made a deal for Miller and Morrison to do their version regarldess, doesn't go for it, Miller's run as hero Barry Allen could be cut short.

made my head hurt a bit

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wait if when barry said he needed friends he said it because they were all DEAD

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised he wants to do a darker Flash. His dorky portrayal was kinda cool and I frequently get called a "snackhole" because of it.

Oct 26, 2017
So he's writing a spec script that can be straight up ignored? Bold move, and a possible total waste of time for both parties.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I don't know that the world is ready to get a taste of Morrison's craziness on screen.
And giving him the Flash is asking for maximum transmultiversial fuckery.

But I'm all for it.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
"Hi I'm here for the screenwriting job at WB."
"Hi Bob. So listen, here at WB we pride ourselves on being dark and gritty. Would you like a coffee by the way?"
"Sure."
"How'd you like it?"
"...black?"
"Heh, good man. So like I said, we want you to write a nihilistic superhero movie where the heroes are bad guys."
"...who are the good guys in the story though?"
"...listen, we'll be in touch. Nice to meet you."

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Let's make a dark depressing tale about a bright red suited optimistic dude with villains named Professor Zoom and Captain Cold.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Miller wants to stay in this but will likely lose out, he knows the DCEU is already fucked and he wants to get that Aquaman/WW bailout before they kick him out.
That's the exact opposite of what the situation sounds like though. Remember, he is also threatening to leave if he can't get the movie in the direction he wants. He isn't getting kicked out of the lighter take, he's saying he'll leave if they go in that direction.

It seems more like he doesn't want the lighter style of the recent movies and wants to push for a more Snyder-like atmosphere even if it hasn't worked out so far rather than just going with the flow like what Aquaman and Wonder Woman did.

Last edited:

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Who the fuck wants Grim Dark fucking Flash?
Let's make a dark depressing tale about a bright red suited optimistic dude with villains named Professor Zoom and Captain Cold.
Eh, with Morrison involved, that part doesn't particularly worry me.
If Miller wants to work with him, I assume it's because he's a fan. I can see Morrison easily talking him out of the grimdark stuff.
"Ezra, please sit down and let me tell you about earth-23, hypertime and Captain Carrot."

But this probably won't see the light of day anyway.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, with Morrison involved, that part doesn't particularly worry me.
If Miller wants to work with him, I assume it's because he's a fan. I can see Morrison easily talking him out of the grimdark stuff.
"Ezra, please sit down and let me tell you about earth-23, hypertime and Captain Carrot."

Morrison's writing can get pretty dark at times though. At least there would be an idealistic view of super heroes though in spite of all the darkness around them.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Morrison's writing can get pretty dark at times though. At least there would be an idealistic view of super heroes though in spite of all the darkness around them.
Certainly, but it all depends on the characters he's working with. He wouldn't treat the Flash the same as Batman.
Plus the Flash does have a handful of good somber stories. I know some people don't like Flashpoint but I really enjoyed the animated movie. And the Geoff Johns run got really dark at points but was still mostly excellent.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Dark vision for the Flash? GTFO. He sucked as Flash anyway. Boot his ass and start over.

Hire Mark Waid and do a movie based on Wally please.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I can see it now

Come children sit by the fire as I regale you with the tale of the origins of two of Flash's greatest foes.

First we have Captain Cold: The Product of the rape of a local Alaskan woman and Norwegian Pirates, the only thing he has to remember his mother by is the missing piece of flesh that was torn off his face after the pirates had to forcefully separate him from the caress of his dead frozen mother. A caress so tight that the flash frost that had hit mother and son right after child birth made it almost impossible to tell where baby ended and mother began.

The Boy was raised in the cellar of the ship, treated as no better than cattle, he lived a terrible life of pain and torment, his heart became as cold as the climate, but none the less he persisted. Then, one day during an expedition gone wrong, the young man struck, he killed the Captain of the ship, the first officer, and every man extremely loyal to him, he consumed their bodies to survive, rubbed their bones together to create the fire needed to keep warm. When he returned alone to the ship, he threatened to do to the rest of the crew what he had done to their former Captain. Not wanting to get eaten by a now crazed cannibal, the crew hailed him as their new leader.... all hail Captain Cold.

Professor Zoom: The early days of life were peaceful, as a young boy he was a spokeschild for Mazda, oh how the boy loved to show up on set, how he counted down the minute to when it was his cue to speak his beloved line as the speedy car raced by him: "Zoom, Zoom". Fame he thought we bring him admiration at school, but far from fame, it brought him infamy. "Zoom Zoom" the children would laugh as they punched the poor boy in the face, "Zoom Zoom " they'd chant as they dunked his head in the toilet, "Zoom Zoom' they'd laugh as they extorted dollar after dollar of his hard earned Mazda money, "Zoom Zoom" one boy whispered one day as he drove the knife into his chest, nearly missing his heart. Our poor boy wandered from school bleeding when by luck he fell into a fabric of time ripped open by an unseen Flash battle and he was sent tumbling far off into the future, where his bleeding and weak body was found by a young couple who had been yearning for a child. Clothed, fed, educated the young boy grew up with the best education and loving adopted parents. All was right in the world until the day after he gained tenured professorship at a Prestigious University. To celebrate, his kind parents presented him with a Mazda, the sight of the car unleashed a hidden and buried rage in the Professor's heart and in a flash, he flew into a rage and used the Mazda to murder his beloved parents. When he came to and saw what he had done, he swore revenge on all things that go fast, including The flash, the man who had set him on this path to kill his parents. He researched and researched, using all the education he had been given, and one day he found a way to become the thing he hated most, a living embodiment of speed, on that day as a he raced back in time, he had only one word in his mind: Zoom! The word which had been his joy, his torment, now became his identity, and thus Professor Zoom was born.

Grim Dark is great for dark characters, Sin City yes, Batman sure, The Flash?! Come on

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Then he is a dumb ass, it could be light hearted for 90% of the film and the last 10% can be super dark when he realizes he rebooted the world or whatever introducing the possibility for a new Batman and Superman.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
I can see it now

Come children sit by the fire as I regale you with the tale of the origins of two of Flash's greatest foes.

First we have Captain Cold: The Product of the rape of a local Alaskan woman and Norwegian Pirates, the only thing he has to remember his mother by is the missing piece of flesh that was torn off his face after the pirates had to forcefully separate him from the caress of his dead frozen mother. A caress so tight that the flash frost that had hit mother and son right after child birth made it almost impossible to tell where baby ended and mother began.

The Boy was raised in the cellar of the ship, treated as no better than cattle, he lived a terrible life of pain and torment, his heart became as cold as the climate, but none the less he persisted. Then, one day during an expedition gone wrong, the young man struck, he killed the Captain of the ship, the first officer, and every man extremely loyal to him, he consumed their bodies to survive, rubbed their bones together to create the fire needed to keep warm. When he returned alone to the ship, he threatened to do to the rest of the crew what he had done to their former Captain. Not wanting to get eaten by a now crazed cannibal, the crew hailed him as their new leader.... all hail Captain Cold.

Professor Zoom: The early days of life were peaceful, as a young boy he was a spokeschild for Mazda, oh how the boy loved to show up on set, how he counted down the minute to when it was his cue to speak his beloved line as the speedy car raced by him: "Zoom, Zoom". Fame he thought we bring him admiration at school, but far from fame, it brought him infamy. "Zoom Zoom" the children would laugh as they punched the poor boy in the face, "Zoom Zoom " they'd chant as they dunked his head in the toilet, "Zoom Zoom' they'd laugh as they extorted dollar after dollar of his hard earned Mazda money, "Zoom Zoom" one boy whispered one day as he drove the knife into his chest, nearly missing his heart. Our poor boy wandered from school bleeding when by luck he fell into a fabric of time ripped open by an unseen Flash battle and he was sent tumbling far off into the future, where his bleeding and weak body was found by a young couple who had been yearning for a child. Clothed, fed, educated the young boy grew up with the best education and loving adopted parents. All was right in the world until the day after he gained tenured professorship at a Prestigious University. To celebrate, his kind parents presented him with a Mazda, the sight of the car unleashed a hidden and buried rage in the Professor's heart and in a flash, he flew into a rage and used the Mazda to murder his beloved parents. When he came to and saw what he had done, he swore revenge on all things that go fast, including The flash, the man who had set him on this path to kill his parents. He researched and researched, using all the education he had been given, and one day he found a way to become the thing he hated most, a living embodiment of speed, on that day as a he raced back in time, he had only one word in his mind: Zoom! The word which had been his joy, his torment, now became his identity, and thus Professor Zoom was born.

Grim Dark is great for dark characters, Sin City yes, Batman sure, The Flash?! Come on
To play devils advocate, wouldn't Flash(Barry Allen's) current origin be considered dark? And Reverse Flash current origin is that he's a jealous homicidal fanboy.