• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
There's not much I can say to that, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but I do think in the face of what the guy has done and who knows how many people his rhetoric and support for fascism has killed or hurt that forcing a door doesn't match up.

Fair enough. I just dont see the upside here. Apart from revenge, the basest of human emotions.

Deleted member 13364

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How am I moving the goalpost? I was talking about how it's immoral to punish the children (age doesn't matter, they're still the children of Tucker) of people who's political views don't align with yours.

Okay, and what terrible crimes did the children of Tucker do to warrant these threats from antifa?

Yes they're still HIS children.

And I hope this won't escalate.

Crazy how people even dare to debate me that this is just not acceptable in any way, how extreme can you get?!

How did they "threaten" the children? Ringing the doorbell and chanting at their dad? Should people also refrain from criticising their dad online just in case they read it and get upset?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yes they're still HIS children.
How am I moving the goalpost? I was talking about how it's immoral to punish the children (age doesn't matter, they're still the children of Tucker) of people who's political views don't align with yours.
Everybody is somebody's child, so don't go after anyone if they have kids then? Having kids is the barometer of if someone needs to be stopped?
Okay, and what terrible crimes did the children of Tucker do to warrant these threats from antifa?
What threats? Can you link me to the Antifa website where they threaten Tucker's kids?
Crazy how people even dare to debate me that this is just not acceptable in any way, how extreme can you get?!
I dunno, we're not running over protesters with our cars or sending bombs in the mail, so not that extreme I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
You call them white supremacists. They call you communists.

I see dummies clashing in the streets. Left and right are both ruining this country. A pox on both your houses.

yeah, of course it's easy to for you to say that because you don't have any skin in the game of having the humanity of marginalized people up for debate - if you even go "outside" to have to worry about it

and to you, it is just a game

"logic and reason, but never context" seems to be the motto for apathetic enablers

Oct 27, 2017
How did they "threaten" the children? Ringing the doorbell and chanting at their dad? Should people also refrain from criticising their dad online just in case they read it and get upset?
Name one instance where "I know where you sleep at night" is not used as a threat. I'm willing to check any link on the internet, and I am even willing to throw out context entirely.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
the point of protests is the get the general public to rally on your side.

IMO, Antifa does more harm to the Left than good

They are literally the only ones doing anything and this entire thought process stems from dangerous Centrism. Democrats in power will shake a finger and say a few words, but nothing gets done. At all. If you think they are doing harm by actually fighting against white supremacists, then fight the Nazis in your own way - but don't sit behind a keyboard and imagine what you say is even remotely true.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No im not, your playing a game of semantics.

He is part of that group, so of course he has sympathy for his own views. Unless you think he isnt a racist.
Seeing as he didn't respond to my last post directed at him, I don't feel particularly eager to.

But fine: First of all, there is no THEY. THEY aren't a cohesive group, and acting like grandma with fox news on is equivalent to neo nazi's killing someone is ridiculous.

Guess what: the nazi "protest" didn't actually do them any good in the public eye. Turns out, running over someone is frowned upon by the general public. Strange how that works huh.

Check the last three minutes of Shaun's video on the subject:

This is where I got in. You are saying that they didn't receive any sympathy in the public eye. Then the President sympathizes with them. You do realize that affects the public eye too, right? Or does none of that count so that we can pretend that public opinion is only what you want it to be so you can be more angry at the guy who bangs a door over the guy who threatened more violence at media coporations, or the one who send bombs to them?

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Turns out this was the same group (Smash Racism DC) that protested Cruz in that DC restaurant. Cruz used that in his closing campaign to play the victim card and motivate his base.

Yup, no downside to this at all...

On the flipside, people who saw that others feel so strongly about how awful Cruz is that they protested him in that way, and may have then voted for Beto as a result. Neither of us can produce evidence of what that protest did in the election.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Fair enough. I just dont see the upside here. Apart from revenge, the basest of human emotions.
It being a "base emotion" doesn't mean anything though. Yes, people have emotions, and in this case they have them for good reason. When someone punches you, there is an expectation that they may be punched back, because people operate on emotion, it is inseperable to the human experience.
Posts like this should be called out immediatly. This is despicable.
Please don't thread-police, if there is a problem report it so we don't go off on a derail and get the thread closed

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out this was the same group (Smash Racism DC) that protested Cruz in that DC restaurant. Cruz used that in his closing campaign to play the victim card and motivate his base.

Yeah, swing voters we're totally swayed by what people in another state unrelated to the Beto campaign said or did to Cruz /s

Oct 27, 2017
They are literally the only ones doing anything and this entire thought process stems from dangerous Centrism. Democrats in power will shake a finger and say a few words, but nothing gets done. At all. If you think they are doing harm by actually fighting against white supremacists, then fight the Nazis in your own way - but don't sit behind a keyboard and imagine what you say is even remotely true.
"Literally the only ones doing anything" is literally an exaggeration that you are using to disagree with people who agree with you. You don't need to create that hill, there's enough battles to go around.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

astro

Oct 25, 2017

And the downside to allowing them to continue spreading their malice without confrontation is what?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I'm gonna say is that people need to be smarter about how they protest if they don't want to give the fascists more ammunition with which to hit back.
If people concern themselves with what fascists will use as ammunition against them, literally nothing would be done to protest. They get upset about people kneeling during the national anthem for fucks sake.

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
On the flipside, people who saw that others feel so strongly about how awful Cruz is that they protested him in that way, and may have then voted for Beto as a result. Neither of us can produce evidence of what that protest did in the election.
Well, I'd say there is pretty obvious evidence that Cruz used it in the final weeks of his campaign to fire up his base.
Yeah, swing voters we're totally swayed by what people in another state unrelated to the Beto campaign said or did to Cruz /s
Yeah, cool that you're ignoring the fact that I was talking about him using it as an appeal to his base. Not swing voters, dummy.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
the power point in shifting minds lies in the suburbs

last midterms demonstrated that if you win the suburbs, you win the House.

going forward, do you really thing that going full Euro-Antifa is going to work? LOL

the end goal is what exactly? think you are always right but not move anything? or actually getting people on board and make the Earth shake by bring them along with you to make the change?

Oct 25, 2017
i like how pages ago someone brought up that one of their former professors got the exact same treatment caused by Tucker riling up his audience to go harass them and it got no attention

two wrongs don't make a right, but that first wrongdoer sure is insistent on continually doing the same wrong over and over...

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The average human being will want to avoid violence whenever possible. Most people aren't going to stick their neck out for their fellow man if they don't have to. I don't think there is a way to fix that.
I don't want to have to physically fight either. I am 4'11". I'm fragile as fuck.

But I'm not ignorant to that I think I will never have to, or that my own aversion to pain supersedes justice. I made plans awhile ago to go to call out of work and go to Atlanta to confront white supremacists when they were planning on showing up there some time after Charlottesville (the little bitches cancelled). They have no place in my home. If I'm not going to protect it, then who will?

We all have different reasons and different thresholds though. Maybe someone else wouldn't have gone to confront some white supremacists because they can't call out, or they've got people to worry about and take care of, or that they don't see it as worthwhile because the gathering is small. That's fine. But they and others like them don't get the high ground to stand on the sidelines and tell people not to put themselves in harm's way to fight off flagrant evil. To see people on the left beginning to stand up gives me hope, a lot more hope than the majority of the people on this board espousing inaction ever will. I know there's people out there who, if I ever need it, will put themselves between me and a white supremacist. That is a slight assurance to me in a world where these guys are going nuts yet again.

So, if you don't want to get down and dirty, that's cool. Just don't get in the fucking way of those that are willing to.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
This is where I got in. You are saying that they didn't receive any sympathy in the public eye. Then the President sympathizes with them. You do realize that affects the public eye too, right? Or does none of that count so that we can pretend that public opinion is only what you want it to be so you can be more angry at the guy who bangs a door over the guy who threatened more violence at media coporations, or the one who send bombs to them?
Did you watch the last 3 minutes of the video I posted?

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You compared this protest to the bombing of abortion clinics earlier in this thread.
No. I compared it to targeted harassment of abortion providers and their families at their homes. Although you are correct that those tactics often escalate to violence.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
To be clear, I'm not advocating anything. The French Revolution did have some despicable events.
It's important to note that they were rather protective of the fledgling republic and were willing to do whatever it took to protect it.
The heads of milquetoast centrist were a small price to pay in their view.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to have to physically fight either. I am 4'11". I'm fragile as fuck.

But I'm not ignorant to that I think I will never have to, or that my own aversion to pain supersedes justice. I made plans awhile ago to go to call out of work and go to Atlanta to confront white supremacists when they were planning on showing up there some time after Charlottesville (the little bitches cancelled). They have no place in my home. If I'm not going to protect it, then who will?

We all have different reasons and different thresholds though. Maybe someone else wouldn't have gone to confront some white supremacists because they can't call out, or they've got people to worry about and take care of, or that they don't see it as worthwhile because the gathering is small. That's fine. But they and others like them don't get the high ground to stand on the sidelines and tell people not to put themselves in harm's way to fight off flagrant evil. To see people on the left beginning to stand up gives me hope, a lot more hope than the majority of the people on this board espousing inaction ever will. I know there's people out there who will, if I ever need it, will put themselves between me and a white supremacist. That is a slight assurance to me in a world where these guys are going nuts yet again.

So, if you don't want to get down and dirty, that's cool. Just don't get in the fucking way of those that are willing to.

Hear, fucking hear.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'd say there is pretty obvious evidence that Cruz used it in the final weeks of his campaign to fire up his base.

Yeah, cool that you're ignoring the fact that I was talking about him using it as an appeal to his base. Not swing voters, dummy.

His base already hates the left. If you think protesting him in a restaurant had any effect at all then you are a fool who doesn't understand the mind of the average Republican.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never said I was happy about it, I said I didn't care it happened.
So both sides are equally close to the point here.

No one would think that a meeting of the Left would happen in North Dakota, Soros is that devious.

Er...that's where I grew up so that's kind of funny that you mentioned it.

Oct 25, 2017
No. I compared it to targeted harassment of abortion providers and their families at their homes. Although you are correct that those tactics often escalate to violence.

and who was it who encouraged that harassment and continues to do so?

we need to DO SOMETHING because right wing provocateurs aren't going to stop their harassment campaigns and stochastic terrorism out of the goodness of their hearts - and i want to see this handled with the non-violent tactics like deplatforming and protest BEFORE marginalized people are further pushed in the corner and possibly lash out harder

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm starting to agree more and more with Stephen Fry's recent speech at Festival of Dangerous Ideas. I hope we're the ones who're wrong because we're old and out of touch, and this is some bright future of social justice. But I just can't see it.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yes even if these "chants" were aimed at Tucker, it was still at their home where they all(?) sleep. "you're not safe, we know where you sleep" Wtf man.

Anyway, the point I was making that it's immoral and extreme to punish the children of people with a different political view. That's it, if you don't agree with that, well I don't argue with extremists.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Have you never studied history?

It being a "base emotion" doesn't mean anything though. Yes, people have emotions, and in this case they have them for good reason. When someone punches you, there is an expectation that they may be punched back, because people operate on emotion, it is inseperable to the human experience.

Please don't thread-police, if there is a problem report it so we don't go off on a derail and get the thread closed

Id say implying violence to people posting here is derailing enough.

Im not above enjoying a little revenge now and then, but at a certain point it becomes counter productive and illogical.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Er...that's where I grew up so that's kind of funny that you mentioned it.
Why do you think Soros chose this place?
Messages hidden within messages!
Total randomness, I tried to pick a town with a distinct American sound in a state rarely talked about and big enough to have some traffic in it

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
His base already hates the left. If you think protesting him in a restaurant had any effect at all then you are a fool who doesn't understand the mind of the average Republican.
His base hates the left, yes. But this gave him something to dangle out there in front of the base to stoke their anger more. I think you're underestimating how much Republican politicians rely on playing the victim to their base. Even before Trump, we've had at least 30 years of "left-wing conspiracies" and a media "out to get" the Republican party.

Jan 10, 2018
https://www.newsweek.com/barack-oba...igation-dijon-mustard-scandal-fox-fake-623643

Fox News ran a real story about Obama eating red meat with mustard

They'll use literally anything as ammunition

donald-trump-i-really-dont-know-if-obama-was-born-in-the-us.jpg

Literally anything

Oct 25, 2017

We all have different reasons and different thresholds though. Maybe someone else wouldn't have gone to confront some white supremacists because they can't call out, or they've got people to worry about and take care of, or that they don't see it as worthwhile because the gathering is small. That's fine. But they and others like them don't get the high ground to stand on the sidelines and tell people not to put themselves in harm's way to fight off flagrant evil. To see people on the left beginning to stand up gives me hope, a lot more hope than the majority of the people on this board espousing inaction ever will. I know there's people out there who, if I ever need it, will put themselves between me and a white supremacist. That is a slight assurance to me in a world where these guys are going nuts yet again.

Thank you for this

Status
Not open for further replies.