• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
His base hates the left, yes. But this gave him something to dangle out there in front of the base to stoke their anger more. I think you're underestimating how much Republican politicians rely on playing the victim to their base. Even before Trump, we've had at least 30 years of "left-wing conspiracies" and a media "out to get" the Republican party.

And it also gave hope to many on the left who are seeing people stand up for them. Seeing things like this makes me feel hopeful, and encourages me to engage myself more in protest and activism.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Yes even if these "chants" were aimed at Tucker, it was still at their home where they all(?) sleep. "you're not safe, we know where you sleep" Wtf man.

Anyway, the point I was making that it's immoral and extreme to punish the children of people with a different political view. That's it, if you don't agree with that, well I don't argue with extremists.
"People that spread xenophobia and fear about minorities don't deserve the bad things they earned"

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
His base hates the left, yes. But this gave him something to dangle out there in front of the base to stoke their anger more. I think you're underestimating how much Republican politicians rely on playing the victim to their base. Even before Trump, we've had at least 30 years of "left-wing conspiracies" and a media "out to get" the Republican party.

Let's stop acting like they need anything at all to be sent in a frenzy.
They'll play victim even if Obama is surfing in Hawaï like he's victimizing someone at foxnews.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about bothsidesism, it's about rallying the general public on board.

If you fail to accomplish that then your tactics are a failure

That's what I meant, most people I know see Antifa as a necessary action.

Is there any actual study or documented gauge of public opinion toward Antifa that shows they're doing more harm overall than good?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

They make shit up regardless.

The reality is that activists on the left should not be concerned with what the opposition thinks of them. They hate them by nature, and nothing we can do will change that.

The right whines about the actions of the left in bad faith. They want inaction, not a specific type of protest.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
If he is made to feel uncomfortable, he may stop his bigoted broadcasts that serve only to enrage "lone wolves" and trigger them into going out and killing minorities.
It worked for Richard Spencer
Wj0NeVD.gif

cosmod

Feb 24, 2018
It's important to note that they were rather protective of the fledgling republic and were willing to do whatever it took to protect it.
The heads of milquetoast centrist were a small price to pay in their view.

Thank you for pointing that out. I added that little factoid because it helped me organize my own thoughts around this protest. I made a post earlier playing the middle ground and it didn't make anyone happy.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
"People that spread xenophobia and fear about minorities don't deserve the bad things they earned"

Mister X is such an intellectual. Why didn't we think of this before? Let's let these people continue to rally their lunatics and just hope the next shooting isn't at our place of worship or place of business.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
They're not fucking children. The youngest is 19.
15 I think. I looked it up and I couldn't find much beyond an interview from 2013 where he says his four kids are aged 10-18, so the youngest one today would be around 15.
Not that it changes much because I'm pretty sure his kids were not threatened, but just a small correction.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Thank you for pointing that out. I added that little factoid because it helped my organize my own thoughts around this protest. I made a post earlier playing the middle ground and it didn't make anyone happy.
They were literally in a war against the rest of Europe and they had to quash royalist revolts in Vendée, I'd say they had reasons to be on edge.
15 I think. I looked it up and I couldn't find much beyond an interview from 2013 where he says his four kids are aged 10-18, so the youngest one today would be around 15.
Not that it changes much because I'm pretty sure his kids were not threatened, but just a small correction.
In white people's eyes, that's literally a newborn!

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Mister X is such an intellectual. Why didn't we think of this before? Let's let these people continue to rally their lunatics and just hope the next shooting isn't at our place of worship or place of business.
We already know he'll just hand wave it as one guy acti g on his own who just happens to binge watch Fox News, problematic twitter or fb and a home littered with weapons and Trump merch.

Oct 25, 2017
final thought:

you know how centrists try their damnedest to avoid calling trump supporters racist by saying "they're desperate, no one else is giving them any chance, the racism is only happening because they are economically anxious"?

please consider helping marginalized people and stopping right wing stochastic terrorism by non-violent means before it escalates to the point where i have to echo that "they're desperate, no one else us giving them a chance" rhetoric

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
final thought:

you know how centrists try their damnedest to avoid calling trump supporters racist by saying "they're desperate, no one else is giving them any chance, the racism is only happening because they are economically anxious"?

please consider helping marginalized people and stopping right wing stochastic terrorism by non-violent means before it escalates to the point where i have to echo that "they're desperate, no one else us giving them a chance" rhetoric
Ah, sorry empathy being a finite resources, they used it all up in defending neonazis.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That's what I meant, most people I know see Antifa as a necessary action.

Is there any actual study or documented gauge of public opinion toward Antifa that shows they're doing more harm overall than good?
General public in America don't know what they are, all they need to see is one video clip of masked men with bats to form a opinion.

I don't want them on the street as much as I don't want racist on the streets. Let the cops lock them all up.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
If he is made to feel uncomfortable, he may stop his bigoted broadcasts that serve only to enrage "lone wolves" and trigger them into going out and killing minorities.

It doesn't seem like he's going to do that. If anything, he's now playing the victim and saying he'll fight back.

I understand the anger and the issues that make people want to lash out at this terrible man and those who back him. But I think that carelessly supporting this sort of action is playing right into their hands, rather than doing the opposite.

Oct 28, 2017

Jon Stewart warned bow tie Tucker back in 2004. He disregarded the warning then and now. Actions always have consequences. He should have heeded the warning. Tucker isn't above culpability in his wife hiding in the pantry yesterday. It should lead to some self reflection on his behalf, but it won't.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But I think that carelessly supporting this sort of action is playing right into their hands, rather than doing the opposite.
There is nothing we can do that will actually demoralize the right because the whole sham is built on cognitively dissonant double-speak: simultaneously espousing victimization and self-defense, powerlessness and strength. They will always position themselves as victors in any scenario you throw at them.

So fuck it.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing we can do that will actually demoralize the right because the whole sham is built on cognitively dissonant double-speak: simultaneously espousing victimization when confronted and righteousness when not. They will also position themselves as victors.

Yes, but making it easier for them to play along with their lies and masks is...not going to stop them.

Oct 29, 2017
i like how pages ago someone brought up that one of their former professors got the exact same treatment caused by Tucker riling up his audience to go harass them and it got no attention

two wrongs don't make a right, but that first wrongdoer sure is insistent on continually doing the same wrong over and over...

Because when the right does it fence-sitters go "conservatives gonna conservatives! ohyou.jpg"

When the left does it "THIS IS -THE END- OF CIVILIZATION"

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Tucker is not Spencer.

If anything, he's actually worse because the man has more popularity, influence and power.

Which makes him more dangerous. Very few people gave a damn about Spencer.
I'm just saying that violence is not always that bad.
In some cases it's funny too.
a:
also
giphy.gif

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
'Do you want to live or wanna exist?
The game changes everyday so obsolete is the fist and marches
Speeches only reaches those who already know about it
This is how we go about it

Humble as a mumble in the jungle
Of shouts and screams
That's the way the cracker crumbles
So I guess I've got to re-route my dreams'

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yeah the poor children that dont live at home and are old enough to hold full time jobs who probably share his beliefs because they are raised by a white supremacist.

But not the poor children Tucker Carlson advocates being killed or locked in cages.
Nope. Not those poor children.
Uh huh, yeah two wrongs don't make a right.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The amount of people begging for respect towards a known white supremacist is baffling. I wonder if any of the same folks would feel similar towards every person of color, every LGBTQ person, or every woman that Tucker has spent years demonizing and threatening.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Uh huh, yeah two wrongs don't make a right.
It's they're both equally bad so let's agree that the middle ground is the best place to be.
The amount of people begging for respect towards a known white supremacist is baffling. I wonder if any of the same folks would feel similar towards every person of color, every LGBTQ person, or every woman that Tucker has spent years demonizing and threatening.
It's really too bad they weren't made to confront this before, because now they got no empathy left after caring so very much about Tucker White Pride Carlson.

It's almost as if being "centrist" in this political climate really just means you're on the Right, just not the far Right.
Nah, it just means being on the right, admonishing the left and paying lip service to admitting that there are times the right is not 100% perfect.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but making it easier for them to play along with their lies and masks is...not going to stop them.
This isn't about the right.

It's about motivating the left to get up and do something besides finger-wag at those who are actually putting their well-being on the line for what is right, and what is right will always be right. The point is to stand in solidarity, to let people know it's okay to be angry and to express that anger in the streets by confronting white supremacy and protecting the marginalized.

It's okay to exert your power in the face of injustice.

Beyond that, all I know is that I can't count on the people hemming and hawwing to be there for me if the chips are ever down. You and others have made your position clear that even just showing up at the house of a guy who gives a platform to white supremacy to millions every single night is "crossing a line," a line that is meaningless because over the years we've watched Republicans fuck us over just for the sake of fucking us over, you've stripped all context away between the left and the right in a desperate effort to maintain moral superiority and differentiation. That means you damn sure won't be with me when I need you the most. Meanwhile this same man whose family was inconvenienced thinks absolutely nothing of the bombs and right-wing shootings that happened only a few weeks ago, much less his role in whipping up the fury that led to these attacks. I would be surprised if the bow tie-wearing asshole wasn't disappointed that none of the targeted politicians died.

In the situation we're in now, which is one where Republicans have seized an inordinate amount of control over our entire democracy by exploiting and subverting its weaknesses, then patching up the holes behind them so Democrats can't swoop in and do the same in return, and consistently telling us, while looking us directly in the eyes, that they are shameless and don't care how much of our institutions they burn down so long as they hold the power to continue siphoning money from the poor and working class and killing dark-skinned people and LGBT people without remorse, the people who are tut-tutting in here do absolutely fuck all for me.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
People especially isolated people that don't deal with racism all the time or bigotry, are incapable of empathy towards others unless they witness an actual person being an actual victim. All the Brown people that Tucker uses hate speech against are nothing but hypotheticals to them. Now Tucker, he's actually a victim they can see with their own eyes, plus, he looks like they do. Thus to him is where their sympathy goes.

So, when they hear "Arizona is now Mexico because it's too Brown" they shrug it off. But when somebody says "White people are ruining this country" well, hell hath no fury, because it breaks the barrier and they can relate.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Yeah the poor children that dont live at home and are old enough to hold full time jobs who probably share his beliefs because they are raised by a white supremacist..

You don't know that though. Many kids grow up to be totally different from their parents. On ERA, there are many members who are progressive and have pro Trump parents. Tucker is a shitbag but we don't know his kids.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My mistake. I was going by other posts in this thread. But like you said, it makes no difference as that is just a distraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.