• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Nah he's still cancelled. He's said and done some weird shit that has been well documented in text and video.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Glad he's cleared (although some questions remain), but I would rather have a new person do Cosmos 3, so that we can showcase different people in the field.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All we can go on is that he's been cleared and that multiple corporations are okay with having him back. He also issued a formal explanation and apology.

Considering most recent cases of sexual allegations, this is probably one of the most posititve outcomes I've seen outside of James Gunn. I'm cool with him being back.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All we can go on is that he's been cleared and that multiple corporations are okay with having him back. He also issued a formal explanation and apology.

Considering most recent cases of sexual allegations, this is probably one of the most posititve outcomes I've seen outside of James Gunn. I'm cool with him being back.

Actually, a single corporation, 21st Century Fox (soon to be Disney) majority owns National Geographic (both the magazine and the cable network), from my understanding, the National Geographic Society doesn't have a day-to-day say in the operations of the magazine and cable networks once they sold off both to 21st Century Fox who created a joint venture where Fox owns 73% of the entire venture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Geographic_Partners

National Geographic Partners, LLC. is a joint venture between American multinational multimedia company 21st Century Fox (which owns 73% of shares) and American non-profit scientific organization National Geographic Society (which owns 27%). The company oversees all commercial activities related to the Society, including magazine publications and television channels.

With The Walt Disney Company's proposed acquisition of 21st Century Fox, Disney is expected to take over Fox's share in the joint venture.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Doesn't Fox have for years News pundits that were well known for their sexual harassment cases. I'm not sure how much being cleared by them is even worth.

Dec 23, 2017
So we just have to take the corporations' word for it?

I....don't think I trust them?
Would you trust them if it was time he other way around. If they found more allegations through investigation would you trust what they have found or doubt it because it's them?

My opinion though is they should be very open and detailed about their investigation. And if you are going to bring him back you should say these women or lying or we didn't find any truth to their allegations. This right here sounds like they paid them to go away and never mention this again and here we are.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Whatever. He's still a relentlessly smug dickhead that rains pedantic misery everywhere he goes, whether or not he's a sex pest.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna assume that he's done being invited on talk shows though? Can't see him appearing on Colbert,etc anymore after this

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna assume that he's done being invited on talk shows though? Can't see him appearing on Colbert,etc anymore after this

I figured this would be the reason he would return to them, not to dissapear from them.

Unknown what Colbert will do, as he has been silent since the first allegation.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever. He's still a relentlessly smug dickhead that rains pedantic misery everywhere he goes, whether or not he's a sex pest.

Assuming he's innocent or at least just a low grade social incompetent - he should never be allowed to moderate a panel ever again.

Neil, your job as moderator is to ask Mr. Hawking about black hole radiation not interrupt him and then explain it for twenty minutes only to have to be corrected on specifics.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The stuff he does at the BBC is better produced than Cosmos. He's got something new in post production now I believe.

Anyone with an interest in Cosmos should really watch Wonders of the Solar System and Wonders of the Universe.

Cox is a FANTASTIC science educator (and an honorary member of the "Brian May from Queen and Winnie From Wonder Years You Do WHAT on the Side?" Club) - potentially a David Attenborough for physics - but frankly the subject matter is just too dense and weighty to ever reach that level of mainstream popularity.

He's brilliant in everything - from late night TV interviews to serious symposiums. Unlike Tyson he lets other people talk and is great at provoking discussion and helping make opaque topics clear. The podcast he does (Infinite Monkey Cage with Robin Ince and guests) is one of the best out there, but woefully truncated and short. They edit it into a half hour which is a big mistake IMO since they barely scratch the surface of topics from how life started to the size of the universe. If you're into physics and cosmology, he's dug a fantastic rabbit hole to follow on Youtube and via the podcast. Unfortunately Tyson and Lawrence Krauss (who I used to love) have both been put on cancel watch at differing scales of severity - so basically I'm just praying Cox and Tom Hanks make it to the finish line intact.