• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Hollywood Reporter in this March 15th article reports that FOX and National Geographic is allowing Neil deGrasse Tyson to return: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...e-tyson-cleared-nat-geo-investigation-1195140

Neil deGrasse Tyson will be back on TV soon after National Geographic and Fox have concluded an investigation into allegations of inappropriate conduct against him.

The astrophysicist's science-focused talk show, StarTalk, will return to Nat Geo in April; it had been off the air since November while the investigation was conducted. Cosmos: Possible Worlds, a follow-up to 2014's Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, will also air on Fox and Nat Geo, though a date hasn't been set.

"The investigation is complete, and we are moving forward with both StarTalk and Cosmos," Fox and Nat Geo said in a statement. "StarTalk will return to the air with the remaining 13 episodes in April on National Geographic, and both Fox and National Geographic are committed to finding an air date for Cosmos. There will be no further comment."

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
"There will be no further comment."

Narrator: There would indeed be further comment.

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the allegations, I guess it's safe to say they cleared him because it's hard to prove a rape occurred when he was in college, not because they can say conclusively he didnt do it.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
So... um... It's all settled?

The whole investigation seems to have been tight-lipped.

That lady who claimed he raped him has been saying it for years and it just recently was brought to the light. I can't imagine that she's just talking out of her ass since he's exhibited some predatory behavior since that occurred.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I can't imagine they found anything bad, then, as in the current climate you aren't exactly going to bring back someone with allegations against them otherwise.

Or someone's been paid off. Or who knows.

Put me in the glad he's back camp.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This: https://www.npr.org/2018/12/02/672643776/neil-degrasse-tyson-responds-to-claims-of-sexual-harassment

In his statement, Tyson said he invited her to his place as a "capstone" to their friendship and said he had no idea she was uncomfortable. He remembers offering the Native American handshake, as it is something he saves for new friends. He said that Watson frequently hugged people on the set and that he declined those hugs, and "on a few occasions, clumsily declared, 'If I hug you I might just want more.' My intent was to express restrained but genuine affection."

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the allegations, I guess it's safe to say they cleared him because it's hard to prove a rape occurred when he was in college, not because they can say conclusively he didnt do it.
Yep. There's probably no one else that could corroborate either story and any potential physical evidence is long gone.

This probably means that they at least didn't find any other allegations (at least for now).

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
This means they didn't find any additional facts or complains on him.

I'm pretty happy that we get to see Cosmos: Possible Worlds soon.

Sokrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine they found anything bad, then, as in the current climate you aren't exactly going to bring back someone with allegations against them otherwise.

Or someone's been paid off. Or who knows.

Put me in the glad he's back camp.

Uh I don't know about that. Louis CK is back and selling out shows after having confessed to beating it off in front of numerous women.

Chris Brown still has his music on the radio and Michael Jackson is still the most played artist on Spotify even after Leaving Neverland.

Justice doesn't always come.

Sokrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Michael Jackson was investigated multiple times, and went to court and was found innocent. I'm going to trust the justice system over some documentary made for profit.

So was OJ...

Back on topic. But this makes me ashamed to have read National Geographic as a kid, knowing that they enabled this behavior. And of course Fox is letting him back on.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how I feel about this one. But hey, we'll see.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Michael Jackson was investigated multiple times, and went to court and was found innocent. I'm going to trust the justice system over some documentary made for profit.

Fuck off you pedophile defender. Instant ignore.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They honestly can't find another physicist that is good on TV?

I assume they could, but he's a pretty popular figure and is quite charismatic as far as public science figures go. I know I watched the first series because he was part of it, I don't know any other public science figures beyond Bill Nye who have the mainstream draw that NDT does. But as Air mentioned above, Bill Nye isn't really the same field, and he also probably can't since he's part of Netflix.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume they could, but he's a pretty popular figure and is quite charismatic as far as public science figures go. I know I watched the first series because he was part of it, I don't know any other public science figures beyond Bill Nye who have the mainstream draw that NDT does. But as Air mentioned above, Bill Nye isn't really the same field, and he also probably can't since he's part of Netflix.

How about Michio Kaku?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
With everything that has gone on with others who have been accused or convicted for rape or harrassment.... it would have been easy for NG and Fox to be like.... "yeah not taking any chances. BYE!"

So maybe with their investigations, they found some stuff that was blatantly obvious he is actually innocent..... beeeecause... if new details/evidence came out down the road, and he is actually convicted of these crimes... NG and Fox would have a PR Nightmare all because they didn't take the easy route of just moving on from him.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm torn here, I love the guy but how do you prove/disprove these types of allegations? He's now tainted from my perspective. Gonna be hard to watch him with this in the back of my mind.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
However will I cope being ignored by someone who wilfully accuses people of pedophilia despite the evidence not being there.

This motherfucker was recorded shopping for wedding rings in zales with/for a 12 year old boy in the 90s. Get on with that shit lol.

On topic: Anyway, as much as I liked this guy he seems real suspect. Probably not enough evidence and they are trying to move on

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
With everything that has gone on with others who have been accused or convicted for rape or harrassment.... it would have been easy for NG and Fox to be like.... "yeah not taking any chances. BYE!"

So maybe with their investigations, they found some stuff that was blatantly obvious he is actually innocent..... beeeecause... if new details/evidence came out down the road, and he is actually convicted of these crimes... NG and Fox would have a PR Nightmare all because they didn't take the easy route of just moving on from him.

The majority of the allegations Fox and National Geographic were investigating involved Tyson's unprofessional behavior/harassment towards Women fans and coworkers. These allegations, for example Tyson inappropriately looking at a Woman's tattoo and Tyson giving a Woman a "special handshake" with his shirt off, would be easy enough for Fox and National Geographic to "brush over" from a legal stand point. The most serious allegation was Tyson raping a Woman when he was in college, which would have been difficult to prove after so many years.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I remembered him yesterday when I came across a post mentioning him here, so I googled him to see what has happened since the allegations and I found no update.
I remember the allegations were bad and so was his response, but this whole story went nowhere I feel like. Just like with the Ryan Secrest allegations it seems like he was put in this limbo where no one mentions him and just wait for further details until he's brought back (I think James Franco is an example of someone who's still stuck in that place?).

Droopaloop

Oct 28, 2017
I'm conflicted on this. I used to love Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Listened to his stuff on YouTube. The whole "we are star stuff" - Carl Sagan.
Multiple counts of him being sexually inappropriate though... I'm thinking this is the wrong move.

Last edited:

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
We'll never know if the first accuser is lying or deluded, as her Time Cube-esque website calls into question her fundamental sanity. But even if we dismiss her claims, his assistant's story, which he corroborated, is textbook abuse of power at bare minimum.

I would be extremely hesitant to watch anything he does from this point on and would never work with the dude if I were female.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How come say stallone just keeps making Rocky movies when he raped a teenager in the 80s and there was even a police report?

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Means more didn't come out or no hard proof was found. Basically nothing else damaging could be found