• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Alex Kurtzman isn't done building out the Star Trek franchise for CBS All Access.

The franchise captain has plans for at least one more animated series to join the previously announced Star Trek: Lower Decks, the half-hour animated comedy from Mike McMahan (Rick and Morty). Additionally, CBS All Access has ordered two more installments of shortform series Star Trek: Short Treks — both of which will be animated. Both installments will debut in the spring, after Star Trek: Discovery wraps its second season on CBS All Access.

"Our goal is to not only expand the definition of Star Trek and what has qualified as traditional Star Trek, but also to tell stories that are both self-contained in a very short period of time that also connect to the larger picture of what we're doing, not only in Discovery but in the world building of Trek in general," Kurtzman told The Hollywood Reporter during an extensive Creative Space interview set to publish Wednesday. "And you get to tell these very intimate, emotional stories that are side stories to characters. So you get the benefit of the experience in and of itself but then when you watch Discovery you'll see that these were all setting up things in the world of season two."

The article also says that a Discovery spinoff with Yeoh and a Starfleet Academy are still in the works, which we have heard before

Picked up with a two-season, straight-to-series order back in October, Lower Decks will focus on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet's least important ships. It joins flagship Star Trek: Discovery, shortform entry Short Treks as well as the Patrick Stewart-led untitled Picard series at CBS All Access. Others, including a Discovery spinoff starring Michelle Yeoh and younger-skewing Starfleet Academy from Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage (The O.C.), are among the others in the works..

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...ore-short-treks-coming-cbs-all-access-1174218

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
tumblr_mlmovyclsq1rhgcbede.gif

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
c'mon CBS, pull a Netflix and commission some slice of life Star Trek anime.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
You know, making sure Discovery Season 2 and the Picard series hit would be more important... but the Lower Decks.

Choices.

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't seen any of this new Trek content on CBS's streaming platform, but I watched RedLetterMedia's video from the other day where Mike and Rich talk about those "Short Treks" they saw and I laughed so fucking hard.

The repeated gag in that video about it all being like a chinese rocket launch had me dying every time they did it. Just the way those two have talked about Discovery + how the show has seemed from the small glimpses I've had make it seem like it's definitely "not for me".

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen any of this new Trek content on CBS's streaming platform, but I watched RedLetterMedia's video from the other day where Mike and Rich talk about those "Short Treks" they saw and I laughed so fucking hard.

The repeated gag in that video about it all being like a chinese rocket launch had me dying every time they did it. Just the way those two have talked about Discovery + how the show has seemed from the small glimpses I've had make it seem like it's definitely "not for me".

their video on what they want out of the Picard series - a 'creative vision' which, amongst other things, included fridging Dr Crusher - convinced me that they have absolutely no idea how to assess the quality of Star Trek anything, honestly. tho I was already pretty much done with them after they started complaining about the diversity in the new Star Wars movies.

in any case, as for the Short Treks, I liked the first one - though it's heavily reliant on you already having an attachment to one character from Discovery proper - thought the second was an excellent little self-contained story, had misgivings about the third - it really needed a longer running time, at the very least - and still haven't seen the fourth.

A Place Further than the Universe but Star Trek would be absolutely fucking incredible. As would Yuru Camp but Star Trek.

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
their video on what they want out of the Picard series - a 'creative vision' which, amongst other things, included fridging Dr Crusher - convinced me that they have absolutely no idea how to assess the quality of Star Trek anything, honestly. tho I was already pretty much done with them after they started complaining about the diversity in the new Star Wars movies.

in any case, as for the Short Treks, I liked the first one - though it's heavily reliant on you already having an attachment to one character from Discovery proper - thought the second was an excellent little self-contained story, had misgivings about the third - it really needed a longer running time, at the very least - and still haven't seen the fourth..

The fourth Short Trek was fun if you like Discovery's Mudd.

Oct 31, 2017

in any case, as for the Short Treks, I liked the first one - though it's heavily reliant on you already having an attachment to one character from Discovery proper - thought the second was an excellent little self-contained story, had misgivings about the third - it really needed a longer running time, at the very least - and still haven't seen the fourth.

Eh, I don't have any hard investment in either the RLM guys or Star Trek as a media property in 2019, I just happened to watch the video and find their responses to the content funny. Though I think Mike's taste in Star Trek is kind of similar to my own, though I'm not a huge Trekkie or anything.

Really, Star Trek, like most long-worn cultural franchises from a different time period, should be taken out back and let go of.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
The fourth Short Trek was fun if you like Discovery's Mudd.
I generally enjoyed Mudd, so I'm game. Reason I haven't seen it yet is that they're technically not officially available here, so watching them is a huge pain in the arse.

Eh, I don't have any hard investment in either the RLM guys or Star Trek as a media property in 2019, I just happened to watch the video and find their responses to the content funny. Though I think Mike's taste in Star Trek is kind of similar to my own, though I'm not a huge Trekkie or anything.

Really, Star Trek, like most long-worn cultural franchises from a different time period, should be taken out back and let go of.

Can't say I agree, honestly. I've always loved Trek, and I think it's still got plenty of life in it, even if certain foundational elements of the franchise do tend to read rather differently this far removed from their original context. Star Trek is, I think, ultimately a very adaptable framework for storytelling, when the people making it allow it to be.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I agree, honestly. I've always loved Trek, and I think it's still got plenty of life in it, even if certain foundational elements of the franchise do tend to read rather differently this far removed from their original context. Star Trek is, I think, ultimately a very adaptable framework for storytelling, when the people making it allow it to be.
Heck, the fact that The Orville has apparently turned out to be alright, when it's more or less people cosplaying TNG and adding in jokes, shows that even the old formula has plenty of juice left, let alone a proper modernization.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Heck, the fact that The Orville has apparently turned out to be alright, when it's more or less people cosplaying TNG and adding in jokes, shows that even the old formula has plenty of juice left, let alone a proper modernization.
... I kinda hate The Orville, truth be told, and think it's an utter embarrassment to anything that's ever been good about Star Trek. And that's speaking as someone who loves TNG, the series it most specifically rips off/utterly fails to understand.

Last edited: